Clinico- pathological profile of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the lacrimal gland- A retrospective study at tertiary cancer care hospital, Punjab
adenoid cystic carcinoma lacrimal gland
Aim of the study : A retrospective study conducted in the department of radiation oncology to review the management aspects of the adenoid cystic carcinoma of the lacrimal gland and identify the outcome and corelation of the recurrence pattern with pathological and clinical findings.
Material and methods: Data of 10 patients of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the lacrimal gland treated over a period of six years were reviewed with respect to presentation, treatment received , end points and outcome.
Results : All of the 10 patients underwent surgery followed by adjuvant radiation therapy. Five patients received adjuvant chemotherapy . Eight (80%) patients were alive at a median follow up of 2 years. Five ( 50%) patients without evidence of disease and 3 patients with the disease. One patient developed scalp metastasis during the course of radiation therapy and another one developed lung metastasis.
Conclusion: adenoid cystic carcinoma of the lacrimal gland is a rare neoplasm with aggressive outcome. It is often treated with surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy and needs long follow up.
(2) Shields JA, Shields CL, Eagle RC, Freire JE, Mercado GV. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the lacrimal gland simulating a dermoid cyst in a 9 year old boy. Arch ophthamol 1998; 116:1673-6.
(3) Skinner HD, Garden AS, Rosenthal DI, Ang KK, Morrison WH, Esmeali B, Pinnix CC, Frank SJ . Outcomes of malignant tumors of lacrimal apparatus:- The university of Texas M.D Anderson cancer centre experience. Cancer. 2011. jan 10[Epub ahead of print].
(4) Vikram B, Strong EW, Shah JP,etal. Radiation therapy in adenoid cystic carcinoma .Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phy 1984; 10:221-223.
(5) Simpson JR, Thawley SE, Matsuba HM. Adenoid cystic salivary carcinoma: Treatment with irradiation and surgery. Radiology 1984; 151:509-512.
(6) Thomas A,Buchholz , Steven G ,Shimotakahara, Ernest A,Weymuller, George E, Laramore, Thomas W,Griffin . Neutron radiotherapy for adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1993; 119: 747-752.
(7) Tyle JWM, Blank LECM.Kornneef L. Brachytherapy in orbital tumors . ophthalmol.1997; 104:1475-79.
(8) Laurie SA, Licitra L. Systemic therapy in the palliative management of advanced salivary gland cancers .J Clin Oncol 2006; 24:2673-8.
(9) Pfeffer MR, Talmi Y, Catane R etal. A phase II study of imatinib for advanced adenoid cystic carcinoma of head and neck salivary glands. Oral oncol 2007 ; 43:33-6.
(10) Glisson BS, Blumenschein G, Francisco M etal. Phase II trial of gefitinib in patients with incurable salivary gland cancer. J clin oncol 2005;23:508.
(11) Haddad R, Colevas AD, Krane JF etal. Herceptin in patients with advanced or metastatic salivary gland carcinoma: a phase II study. Oral oncol 2003 ;39:724-27.
(12) Argiris A, Goldwasser MA, Burtness B etal. A phase II trial of PS-341(Bortezomib) followed by the addition of doxorubicin at progression in incurable adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck: an eastern cooperative oncology group study .J clin oncol 2005;23:5474-83.
(13) Licitrial L,Locati L,Potepan P etal. Cetuximab(C225) in recurrent and/ or metastatic salivary gland carcinoma (RMSGCs): A monoinstitutional phase II study. J clin oncol 2006
(14) Agulnik M,Cohen WE, Cohen RB,etal Phase II study of lapatinib in recurrent or metastatic epidermal growth factor receptor and / or erb2 expressing adenoid cystic carcinoma and non adenoid cystic carcinoma malignant tumors of the salivary gland.J clin oncol 2007;25:3978-84.
(15) Meldrum ML, Tse DT,Benedetto P. Neoadjuvant intracarotid chemotherapy for treatment of advanced adenocystic carcinoma of the lacrimal gland. Arch opthalmol 1998; 16:315-321.
(16) Lewis KT, Kim D, Chan WF, Jaiwatana J, Calcote C. Conservative treatment of adenoid cystic carcinoma with plaque therapy: a case report. Ophthal Plast Reconstruct Surg. 2010; 26:131-3.
(17) Terasaki M,Tokutomi T, Maruiwa H, Sugita Y, Harada H, Shigemori M. High grade adenoid cystic carcinoma originating from lacrimal gland. Brain Tumor pathology.2000;17:159-163.
Copyright (c) 2022 karuna singh; puja sahai, deepak arora, pardeep sharma, sheetal sachdeva
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.