Clinical Study for the Efficacy of Unani Formulation in the Management of Vaginal Discharge Associated with Cervicitis (Iltehab-E-Unqur Rehm)
Background: Cervicitis is one of the commonest lesions of female genital tract affecting more than half of all women at some point during their adult lives and has been seen in 80% of women with any gynaecological complaint. It refers to the inflammation of the cervix which may be acute or chronic and vaginal discharge is the commonest complaint in patients of patients of cervicitis. Objectives: The aim of the study was to evaluate the clinical efficacy of Unani formulation in the management vaginal discharge due to cervicitis.
Methods: A randomized observational study was carried out at the Department of Amraz e Niswan wa Atfal, AKTC, AMU, Aligarh. Thirty (n=30) patients of 18-40 years of age with chronic cervicitis were selected and intervened with Unani formulations prepared from Joshanda Mazu (Quercus infectoria) administered locally in the form of intra vaginal tampon (pessary) for 7 consecutive nights after menses. Pre and post treatment analysis was done on subjective and objective parameters and were assessed by paired t-test. Result: This Unani formulation showed highly statistically significant improvement in all the subjective (p<0.001) and objective (p<0.001) parameters of chronic cervicitis after completion of treatment. Conclusion: The study results suggest that the trials formulations are quite effective and hence can be used as an alternate therapy in the management of cervicitis. No Adverse effects were noted during the complete course of the study trial.
2. Weinstock H, Berman S, Cates W Jr. Sexually Transmitted Diseases among American Youth: Incidence and prevalence estimates, 2000. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2004 Jan-Feb; 36(1) :6-10.
3. Kumar P, Malhotra N. Jeffcoate's Principles of Gynaecology. 7th ed. New Delhi. Jaypee Brother Medical Publishers(P) Ltd. 2008: 30-34, 54-55, 347-349.
4. Razi ABZ, Kitabul Hawi.Vol IX. New Delhi. CCRUM.2001: 9,10,12,13,14,15,33,37.
5. Ibn Sina.Al-Qanoon Fit-Tib.(Urdu Trans. By Kantoori Gh) Vol.III; Part II. New Delhi. Idarae Kitab us Shifa. 2007: 1101-1103.
6. Majoosi ABA. Kamil us Sana .Idarae Kitab us Shifa, New
Delhi. 2010: 534-538.
7. Jurjani AH. Zakaria Kharizam Shahi. .Idarae Kitab us Shifa, New Delhi. 2010: 625-627.
8. Anonymous. The Unani pharmacopoeia of India. Vol. 3. Part 1. New Delhi: G.O.I., Ministry of Health and Family welfare, Dept. of AYUSH; 2007.
9. Najmul Ghani. Khazain-ul-Advia. New Delhi: Idara Kitabul Shifa; YNM.
10. Kaur, G., Hamid, H., Ali, A., Alam, M.S. & Athar, M.,(2004):Anti-inflammatory evalution of alcoholic extract of galls of Quercus infectoria. J. Ethanopharm.,Vol.90,pp.285-292.
11. Hkm Abdul Hakeem. Bustanul- mufradat. New Delhi: Idara Kitabul shifa; 2002.
12. Ibn Baitar. (1999) "Al-Jame al-Mufrada al-Advia Wa al- Aghzia" (Urdu Translation). CCRUM, New Delhi; Vol.III: 231-233(s,r), 88-91(n,j), 108-109(f,o), 180-183(z,m), 304-308(s,n), 326-327(a,e).
13. Hkm Kabeeruddin M.Ilmul Advia Nafisi. New Delhi: Ejaz pub. House; 2007.
14. Ghani, N. (2010) "Khazainul Advia" CCRUM. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Dept of Ayush, Govt of India, New Delhi, Vol II, pp 134(a.a), 290(n.j), 312 (c.a), 350(a.m), 346 Vol III pp 346 (s.c),162(c.r) Vol IV pp 160(b.f),241(r.e) Vol V pp 5(f.o), 87(z.m),121(s.r), 151(a.e), 233(c.i), 348(c.o), 475(c.m) Vol VI pp 44(r.d), 304(s.n), 399(o.l), 471(n.a).