Association of Anemia with Cerebral Venous Thrombosis in Puerperium and its Pattern of Recovery
Background: Anemia is often considered to be a risk factor for cerebral venous thrombosis (CVT). We investigated the association between anemia and CVT. Methods: 42 postpartum /puerperal females were studied retrospectively for various factors like anemia, conscious level at admission, place of delivery (home or hospital) and their neurological sequel was measured at the time of discharge. Platelets counts were also noted (to rule out thrombocytosis). Anemia was defined according to World Health Organization criteria: non- pregnant women hemoglobin < 7.5 gm/dl, pregnant women < 6.9gm/dl. Modified Rankin Score (mRS) was taken as a scale for recovery. Results: Patients with CVT were younger (mean age 28). Anemia was more frequent in 32.7%. Hemoglobin as a continuous variable was inversely associated with CVT. Platelets counts, BT CT were normal hence no thrombocytosis was seen. No gross increase in WBC count was noted indicating absence of sepsis (puerperal). Outcome was favorable in 83% patients. N=4 (7%) patients died. Conclusions: We concluded that there is a positive correlation with increased levels of HbA1c and FBS (p˂0.001) in diabetic postmenopausal women and knee osteoarthritis. we found a significant association of severe anemia and CVT in patients of CVT of non-infectious origin, although the exact mechanism leading to hypercoagulability remains unclear and had poor prognosis.
2. Stam, J. (2005). Thrombosis of the cerebral veins and sinuses. New Engl J Med, 352, 1791-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra042354.
3. Ferro, J. M. (2006). Causes, predictors of death, and antithrombotic treatment in cerebral venous thrombosis. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol, 4, 732-733
4. Ferro, J. M., Canhão, P., Stam, J., Bousser, M. G., Barinagarrementeria, F., & ISCVT Investigators. (2004). Prognosis of cerebral vein and dural sinus thrombosis: results of the International Study on Cerebral Vein and Dural Sinus Thrombosis (ISCVT). Stroke, 35, 664-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000117571.76197.26.
5. Karpatkin, S., Garg, S. K., & Freedman, M. L. (1974). Role of iron as a regulator of thrombopoiesis. Am J Med,57, 521-525. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(74)90001-1
6. Gupta, M. K., & Joseph, G. (2001). Severe Thrombocytopenia Associated with Iron Deficiency. Hospital Physician, 37, 49-54.
7. Hartfield, D. S., Lowry, N. J., Keene, D. L., & Yager, J. Y. (1997). Iron deficiency: a cause of stroke in infants and children. Pediatr Neurol, 16, 50-3. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0887-8994(96)00290-1
8. Ho, B. L., Huang, P., Khor, G. T., & Lin, R. T. (2008). Simultaneous thrombosis of cerebral artery and venous sinus. Acta Neurol Taiwan, 17, 112-116.
9. Aliefendioglu, D., Yilmaz, S., Misirlioglu, E. D., Saygi, S., Ozdogan, S., & Kocak, U. (2007). Do cerebral blood flow velocities change in iron deficiency anemia? J Pediatr Hematol Oncol, 29, 747-751.http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/MPH.0b013e318157fd85.
10. Ogata, T., Kamouchi, M., Kitazono, T., Kuroda, J., Ooboshi, H., Shono, T., ... Iida, M. (2008). Cerebral venous thrombosis associated with iron deficiency anemia. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis, 17, 426-428. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2008.04.008.
11. Stolz, E., Valdueza, J. M., Grebe, M., Schlachetzki, F., Schmitt, E., Madlener, K., ... Kaps, M. (2007). Anemia as a risk factor for cerebral venous thrombosis? An old hypothesis revisited. Results of a prospective study. J Neurol, 254, 729-734. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00415-006-0411-9
12. Sébire, G., Tabarki, B., Saunders, D. E., Leroy, I., Liesner, R., Saint-Martin, C., ... Kirkham, F. J. (2005).Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis in children: risk factors, presentation, diagnosis and outcome. Brain, 128, 477-489. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/brain/awh412.
13. Cerebral venous thrombosis: diagnosis and management. J Neurol, 247, 252-58. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s004150050579.
14. Bonita R, Beaglehole R. "Modification of Rankin Scale: Recovery of motor function after stroke." Stroke 1988 Dec;19(12):1497-1500
15. Wasay M, Azeemuddin M. Neuroimaging of cerebral venous thrombosis. J Neuroimaging 2005;15:118-28.
16. Kim KS, Walezak TS. Computed tomography of deep cerebral venous thrombosis. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1986; 10:386-90.