A Study on Deciding the Route of Hysterectomy
Background: Hysterectomy is a common major gynaecological procedures and the choice of route for the same, whether abdominal, vaginal or laparoscopic route is controversial. Aims: To compare the outcome measures and rate of complication following vaginal, abdominal and laparoscopic hysterectomy. Methods: This prospective, randomised study was performed at a tertiary care centre from July 2012 to June 2014. A total of 180 patients undergoing hysterectomy for benign conditions were studied and 60 patients were randomly assigned for abdominal, vaginal and laparoscopic hysterectomy. The outcome was assessed and compared between groups. Results: Outcome in majority of the parameters studied showed that vaginal hysterectomy is the most beneficial method with least complications. Conclusion: Vaginal hysterectomy was the most beneficial method as compared to other methods and was associated with least complications.
2. Einarsson JI, Matteson KA, Schulkin J, Chavan NR, Sangi-Haghpeykar H. Minimally invasive hysterectomies-a survey on attitudes and barriers among practicing gynecologists. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2010; 17: 167-75. [PubMed]
3. ACOG Committee Opinion. Number 311, April 2005. Appropriate use of laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105:929-30. [PubMed]
4. Kovac SR. Guidelines to determine the route of hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 85: 18-23. doi: 10.1016/0029-7844(94)00318-8. [PubMed]
5. McCracken Geoff, Lefebvre Guylaine G. Vaginal Hysterectomy: dispelling the myths. J Obstet Gynecol Can. 2007; 29 (5):424-8.
6. Cardosi R J, Hoffman MS. Determining the best route for hysterectomy. OBG Manag. 2002; 14 (7): 31- 8.
7. Saha R, Shreshtha NS, Thapa M, et al. Non Descent Vaginal hysterectomy.- safety and feasibility. NJOG. 2012; 7 (2): 14- 6.
8. Kovac SR. Abdominal versus vaginal hysterectomy: a statistical model for determining physician decision making and patient outcome. Med Decis Mak. 1991; 11: 19-28.
9. Nieboer TE, Johnson N, Lethaby A et al. Surgical approach to hysterectomy for benign gynaecological disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009; 3. CD003677.
10. Lumsden MA, Twaddle S, Hawthorn R et al. A randomised comparison and economic evaluation of laparoscopic assisted hysterectomy and abdominal hysterectomy. BJOG. 2000; 107 (11): 1386- 9.
11. Campbell ES, Xiao H et al. Types of hysterectomy: comparison of characteristics, hospital costs, utilization and outcomes. J Reprod Med. 2003; 48 (12): 943- 9.
12. Panda S, Behera AK, Jayalakshmi M et al. Choosing the route of hysterectomy. J of Obstet and Gynaecol of India. 2015; 65 (4): 251- 4.
13. Ray A, Pant L, Magon N. Deciding the route of hysterectomy: India Triage System. J of Obstet and Gynaecol of India. 2015; 65 (1): 39- 44.