Experiences of Managers of Hospitals of Jahrom University of Medical Sciences on Obstacles of Implementing the Strategic Plan in 2017
Background: Strategic planning and its vital impact on achieving the organization goals, sometimes managers face serious obstacles and problems in implementing the strategic decisions. The aim of this study was to investigate the experiences of managers of hospitals of Jahrom University of Medical Sciences on obstacles of implementing strategic plans in 2017.
Methods: this qualitative study was conducted using a Hermeneutics approach which was accomplished through semi-structured interview with 8 hospital managers and those who had a main role in strategic planning and were selected with purposeful sampling method. Data was collected till reaching data saturation.
Results: 80 codes were extracted by data analysis and finally 4 main themes, 12 classes and 26 subcategories were obtained. Themes include: managerial inefficient structure, inefficient human resources, inappropriate infrastructure and inefficient policies.
Conclusion: Findings of the present study will provide a better perception of obstacles, opportunities and finally strategies of promoting this plan due to experiences of managers and other involving factors. Obstacles and factors of failure of strategic decisions in the hospitals should be fully known so that during implementation of strategic management process, the desired results are obtained with providence and better management or changing approaches
2. Miles, RE., Charles C.S. Organization theory and supply chain management: an evolving research perspective. Journal of Operations Management 2007: 25(2): 459- 463.
3. Abolqasem A. Impact of Organizational culture on organizational structure. MSc Thesis of Islamic Azad University. Tehran. 1386
4. Annem-Walsh K, Sabot S. Factors Influencing strategy selection in Academy Health centers. Journal of Healthcare Management 2002; 47(6): 37-45
5. Poister, TH., Gregory S. Elements of strategic planning and management in municipal government: Status after two decades. Public administration review 2005; 65(1): 45-56.
6. Asgari N. Relationship between organizational factors of ministry of labor with knowledge management strategy. MSc thesis of Tehran University, Tehran. 2006
7. Bryson John.M,(2011).Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations: A Guide to Strengthening and Sustaining Organizational Achievement”, wileypuplication,ISBN-10: 0470392517 | ISBN-13: 978-0470392515| Edition: 4
8. Brayson JM. Strategic planning for public and non-profit organizations. Tehran: Training institute of public management; 2002.
9. Miller S, Hickson D, Wilson D. From strategy to action:involvement and influence in top level decisions. Long Range Planning. 2008;41(6):606–28.
10. Kaissi AA, Begun JW. Strategic planning processes and hospital financial performance. J healthcare management. 2008;53(3):197-208.
11. Jacobovitz S, Weissman NJ, Soman P. New Strategic Plan Charts Next Chapter in College's History: Implications for the Cardiovascular Imager. JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging. 2014;7(5):537-9.
12. Hong K, Yamkasikorn M. Obstacles to effective implementation of strategic managment system plan in Cambodian dual-system school. Burapha University`s Journal. 2015;26(1):47-64.
13. Brenes ER, Mena M, Molina GE. Key Success Factors for Strategy Implementation in Latin America. Journal of Business Research. 2008;61(6):590-8.
14. Grigoroudis E, Orfanoudaki E, Zopounidis C. Strategic performance measurement in a healthcare organisation: A multiple criteria approach based on balanced scorecard. Omega. 2012;40(1):104-119.
15. Salimian, Masoumi Ali (1388). Design and Explain An Appropriate Pattern in Empowering Human Resources Samara, Strategic Defense Studies Quarterly. No 16th year of the fourth.
16. Koseoglu MA, Barca M, Karayormuk K, Edas M. A study on the causes of strategies failing to success. Journal of Global Strategic Management (JGSM). 2009;3(2):77-90.
17. Jooste C, Fourie B. The role of strategic leadership in effective strategy implementation: Perceptions of South African strategic leaders. Southern African Business Review.
18. Alexander L. Strategy implementation: nature of the problem. International Review of Strategic Management. 1991;2(1):73-96.
19. Akhavan P. Reorganization procedures in order to fulfill strategic priorities. Journal of tomorrow management 2004; 37(3): 73-86.
20. Mojibi T, Milani M. Investigating the relationship between strategy and organizational structure in the electricity distribution companies of Tehran. Journal of Management. 2011;8(22):14-23. (Persian)
21. Latif B, Gohar FR, Hussain A, Kashif MM. Barriers to Effective Strategic Planning. International Journal of Management & Organizational Studies 2013; 1(2):16-21.
22. Cater, T., & Pucko, D. (2010). Factors of effective strategy implementation: Empirical evidence from Slovenian business practice. Journal for East European Management Studies, 15(3), 207-236.
23. Delgoshaei B, Tofighi S, Kermani B. The relationship between organizational climate and organizational commitment in teaching hospitals of Hamedan University of medical sciences Ofogh-e-Danesh GMUHS Journal. 2009;14(4):60- 9.[Persian].
24. Doaei, Habibollah, Yaghubi, Noor Mohammad, Firozbakht, Zahra, Sheikhpour, Mohammad and Shaikhpour, Zanyar (1393). Empowerment of employees as an intermediary link between intellectual capital and quality of life. 89-104, Work. Quantitative studies in management,
25. Nemati, Somayeh (1393). The Impact of Distributed Leadership Style on the Effectiveness of Schools through Motivation Academic Optimism Teachers. Master's thesis, Department of Educational Management, Faculty of Science Social and Human Sciences, Kurdistan University
26. Fulmer, W.E. (1990). Human resources management: the right hand of strategy implementation, Human Resources Planning, 13(1), 1-11.
27. Brenes ER, Mena M, Molina GE. Key Success Factors for Strategy Implementation in Latin America. Journal of Business Research. 2008;61(6):590-8.
28. Farajpoor Gh, Noorosana R. Integrated framework for Formulating and implementation strategy in Iran Post. International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Production Management. 2011;22(1):78-90.[Persian].
29. Hong K, Yamkasikorn M. Obstacles to effective implementation of strategic managment system plan in Cambodian dual-system school. Burapha University`s Journal. 2015;26(1):47-64.
30. Rahimnia F, Polychronakis Y, Sharp JM. A Concenceptual Framework of Imeders to Strategy Implementation From An Exploratory Case Study In An Iranian University. Education Business and Society. 2009;2(4):246-61.
31. Brenes, E. R., Mena, M., Molina, G E. (2008). Key success factors for implementation in Latin America. Journal of Business Research, 61(6), 590-598.
32. Ford-Eickhoff K, Plowman DA, McDaniel Jr RR. Hospital boards and hospital strategic focus: The impact of board involvement in strategic decision making. Health care management review2011;36 (2):145-54.
33. Bell, Peter, Dean, Geoff, & Gottschalk, Petter (2010) Information management in law enforcement: The case of police intelligence strategy implementation. International Journal of Information Management, 30(4), pp. 343-349.
34. Herbiniak, L.G. (2006). Obstacles to effective strategy implementation. Organizational Dynamics, 35(1), 12-31.
35. Zaribaf, M., & Bayrami, H. (2010). An effective factors pattern affecting implementation of strategic plans. Academic and Business Research Institute
36. Cascella, V. (2002). "Effective strategic planning." Quality progress35(11): 62-67.