Evaluation of Nephroprotective Effect of Ethanolic Extract of Leaves of Aloe barbadensis against Gentamicin Induced Nephrotoxicity in Rats
Background: To evaluate the nephroprotective effect of ethanolic extract of leaves of Aloe barbadensis against gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity in albino rats.
Methods: In the present study 24 albino rats of 120-150gm were taken and these rats were divided into four groups. Group I and II served as vehicle control and negative control groups respectively. While group III (EEAB150) and IV (EEAB300) served as treatment groups, which were treated with 150 and 300mg/kg/day of ethanolic extract of Aloe barbadensis, 1 hour before each dose of gentamicin administration for 8 days. On the 8th day of Gentamicin administration (80mg/kg/day, i.p) blood samples for BUN, serum creatinine, urine creatinine and total protein were taken while the rat kidneys for antioxidant assay and histology were obtained. Results: In group II nephrotoxicity was confirmed by significant elevation of BUN and Serum creatinine while urine creatinine and total protein is significantly decreased compared to group I , while in treatment groups III and IV there is significant attenuation of elevated BUN and S. creatinine while urine creatinine and total protein tends to increase compared to group II. Also, there was significant changes observed in antioxidant markers in the treatment groups III and IV. Improvement in renal function was also confirmed by histology of rat kidneys.
Conclusion: Ethanolic extracts of leaves of Aloe barbadensis possess nephroprotective effect against gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity.
2. Reiter RJ, Tan DX, Sainz RM, Mayo JC, Lopez-Burillo S: Melatonin: reducing the toxicity and increasing the efficacy of drugs. The Journal of pharmacy and pharmacology 2002;54(10):1299-321.
3. Khandelwal Vinoth Kumar Megraj1, Koneri Raju, R Balaraman, Kandhavelu Meenakshisundaram. Biological Activities of Some Indian medicinal plants. Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education & Research 2011; 1: 12-44.
4. Laskshmi BV, Sudhakar M. Protective effect of Zingiber officinale on gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Int J Pharmacol 2010; 6: 58 – 62
5. Yanagida, C., Ito, K., Komiya, I., Horie, T. Protective effect of fosfomycin on gentamicin induced lipid peroxidation of rat renal tissue. Chem. Biol. Interact 2004; 148: 139-47.
6. Parlakpinar H, Tasdemir S, Polat A, Bay-Karabulut A, Vardi N, Ucar M, et al.: Protective role of caffeic acid phenethyl ester (cape) on gentamicin- induced acute renal toxicity in rats. Toxicology 2005;207(2):169-77.
7. M. D. Boudreau and F. A. Beland, “An evaluation of the biological and toxicological properties of Aloe barbadensis (Miller), Aloe vera,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part C: Environmental Carcinogenesis and Ecotoxicology Reviews, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 103–154, 2006.
8. Parthipan M, Binu Thomas and Rajendran A. Habitat diversity, Morphological and systematic analysis of multipotential species of Aloe barbadensis Mill. (Liliaceae) from the Southern Western Ghats of Tamil Nadu, India. JRB 2011; 1: 237-41
9. Lonnie D. Williams , George A. Burdock , Eunju Shin , Seunghyun Kim , T.H. Jo ,Kenneth N. Jones, Ray A. Matulka. Safety studies conducted on a proprietary high-purity aloe vera inner leaf fillet preparation, Qmatrix. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology 2010; 57: 90-98.
10. Habeeb F, Eisin Shakir, Bradbury F,Cameron P, Mohamad R. Taravati. Screening methods used to determine the anti-microbial properties of Aloe vera inner gel.Published by Elsevier Inc. 2007; 42: 315-20
11. N. Kannappan, Madhukar. A, Mariymmal, P. Uma Sindhura, R Mannavalan. Evaluation of Nephroprotective activity of Orthosiphon stamineus benth extract using rat model. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Technology Research Coden (USA) 2010; 2: 209-15.
12. PuvabanditsinP,VongtongsriR.Efficacyofaloeveracreaminprevention and treatment of sunburn and suntan. J Med Assoc Thai 2005; 88: 173-76. 13. Pugh, N., Ross, S. A., ElSohly, M. A., and Pasco, D. S. Characterization of Aloeride, a new high-molecular-weight polysaccharide from Aloe vera with potent immunostimulatory activity. J Agric Food Chem 2001; 49: 1030-
14. Zhang X, Wang H, Song Y, Nie L, Wang L, Liu B, et al. Isolation,structure
elucidation, antioxidative and immunomodulatory properties of two novel dihydrocoumarins from Aloe vera. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 2006; 16: 949-53.
15. Esmat,AY,Tomasetto,C,RioMC.Cytotoxicityofanaturalanthraquinone (Aloin) against human breast cancer cell lines with and without ErbB-2: topoisomerase IIalpha coamplification. Cancer Biol Ther 2006; 5: 97-103.
16. Akira Yagi, Sahar Hegazy, Amal Kabbash, Engy Abd-El Waha. Possible hypoglycemic effect of Aloe vera L. high molecular weight fractions on type 2 diabetic patients. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal 2009; 17: 209-15.
17. Saba Irshad, Muneeba Butt, Hira Younus. In-Vitro antibacterial activity of Aloe Barbadensis Miller (Aloe Vera). International Research J. of Pharmaceuticals 2011; 1: 60-65.
18. TinA.Khaing.EvaluationoftheAntifungalandAntioxidantActivitiesofthe Leaf Extract of Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis Miller). World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 2011; 75: 610-12.
19. Neeti Jaina, Rajagopalan Vijayaraghavana, Satish Chandra Panta, Vinay Lomasha and Mohammed Ali. Aloe vera gel alleviates cardiotoxicity in streptozocin-induced diabetes in rats. JPP 2010; 62: 115-23.
20. Paoulomi Chatterjee, Aniruddha Mukherjee, Subhangkar Nandy.(2012). Protective effects of the aqueous leaf extract of Aloe barbadensis on gentamicin and cisplatin induced nephrotoxic rats.Asian Pac J Trop Biomed.S1754-S1763.
21. Rana MA, Nasiruddin M, Khan RA, Khan AA. Evaluation of nephroprotective activity of ethanolic extract of bauhinia purpurea in gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity in rats. IJPSR, 2014; vol. 5(9): 3891- 3896
22. Buege JA, Aust SD: Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods in enzymology 1978;52:302-10.
23. Sinha AK: Colorimetric assay of catalase. Analytical Biochemistry 1972;47(2):389-94.
24. Kakkar P, Das B, Viswanathan PN.(1984).A modified spectrophotometric assay of SOD. Indian J. Biochem. Biophys.21:130-132.15. Reuter, J., Jocher, A., Stump, J., Grossjohann, B., Franke, G., and Schempp, C. M. Investigation of the anti-inflammatory potential of Aloe vera gel (97.5%) in the ultraviolet erythema test. Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2008; 21: 106-10.
25. Cuzzocrea S, Mazzon E, Dugo L, Serraino I, Di Paola R, Britti D, et al.: A role for superoxide in gentamicin-mediated nephropathy in rats. European journal of pharmacology 2002;450:67-76.
26. Al-Majed AA, Mostafa AM, Al-Rikabi AC, Al-Shabanah OA: Protective effects of oral arabic gum administration on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Pharmacological research : the official journal of the Italian Pharmacological Society 2002;46:445-51.
27. Walker PD, Barri Y, Shah SV: Oxidant mechanisms in gentamicin nephrotoxicity. Renal failure 1999;21:433-42.
28. Karahan I, Atessahin A, Yilmaz S, Ceribasi AO, Sakin F: Protective effect of lycopene on gentamicin-induced oxidative stress and nephrotoxicity in rats. Toxicology 2005;215:198-204.
29. Ali BH, Abdel Gayoum AA, Bashir AA: Gentamicin nephrotoxicity in rat: some biochemical correlates. Pharmacology & toxicology 1992;70:419-23. 30. Nejatzadeh-Barandozi F. Antibacterial activities and antioxidant capacity of Aloe vera. Org Med Chem Lett. 2013;3(1):5. Published 2013 Jul 19.
31. Trishna Debnath, Eun-Kyung Kim, Gitishree Das, Narayan Chandra Deb
Nath, Kwang-Geun Lee. (2019) Protective effect of oat (Avena sativa) bran extracts on acute hepatic liver damage in mice. Food and Agricultural Immunology 30:1, pages 34-46.
32. YamanI,BalikciE:ProtectiveeffectsofNigellasativaagainstgentamicin- induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Experimental and toxicologic pathology: official journal of the Gesellschaft fur Toxikologische Pathologie 2009;62:183-90.
33. Abdel-Raheem IT, Abdel-Ghany AA, Mohamed GA: Protective effect of quercetin against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Biological & pharmaceutical bulletin 2009;32:61-7.