Remote Acute Extradural Hematoma Formation after Ventriculoperitoneal Shunt - A Rare Occurrence
Formation of acute epidural hematoma after Ventriculoperitoneal shunt insertion is rare in adults, more so at a site remote from the site of shunt insertion. We are presenting such a rare occurrence and discussing possible factors involved in this complication. A 35-year-old male was diagnosed with a third ventricular colloid cyst with hydrocephalus. A Ventriculoperitoneal medium pressure shunt was placed through right Keen point burr hole and the patient developed a right frontal extradural hematoma on the 4th post-operative day which was subsequently evacuated by craniotomy and the patient recovered fully thereafter. Acute extradural hematoma is a potentially life threatening complication. High index of suspicion, precautions during shunt insertion and early detection can prevent mortality and severe morbidity in these cases.
2. Hamlat A, Heckley A, Doumbouya N, Signeuret E and Brassier G: Epidural hematoma as a complication of endoscopic biopsy and shunt placement in a patient harboring a third ventricular tumor. Pediatr Neurosurg 2004; 40: 245-258.
3. Kalia KK, Swift DM, Pang D: Multiple epidural hematomas following ventriculoperitoneal shunt. Pediatr Neurosurg 1993; 19: 78-80.
4. Yue CP, Marm KS: Fluid chronic epidural haematoma: A rare complication of ventriculoperitoneal shunt. J Neurol Neurosurg Psych 1984; 48: 953-5.
5. Fujimoto Y, Aguiar PH, Carneiro JD, Martins RS, Ciquini O Jr, de Andrade AF et al: Spontaneous epidural hematoma following a shunt in an infant with congenital Factor X deficiency: Case report and literature review. Neurosurg Rev 1999; 22: 226-9.
6. Ahmad FU, Agrawal D, Singh M. Acute epidural hematoma following ventriculoperitoneal shunt in an adult. Pan Arab Journal of Neurosurg 2008; 12:118-120.
7.Weiss RM: Massive epidural hematoma following ventricular decompression: Report of a case with survival. J Neurosurg 1964; 221: 235-6.