A Post-Mortem Medicolegal Study of Violent Asphyxial Deaths - An Autopsy Based Study
Background: The study was conducted in the mortuary of Babu Jagjivan Ram Memorial Hospital, Jahangir Puri, North-West district, Delhi to determine the frequency and epidemiology of violent asphyxial deaths in that region, in relation to age and gender variation. Duration of study: Autopsies conducted during January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2013. Methods: Out of 2479(two thousand four hundred seventy nine) medico legal deaths autopsied at B.J.R.M. Hospital Delhi, during the study period, details were collected for those medico legal deaths identified to be due to violent asphyxial deaths. Results: 219 out of 2479 medico legal deaths were identified to be violent asphyxial deaths, making incidence rate 8.83%. There were 149(68.03%) males and 70(31.97%) females. Male predominance was seen in all asphyxial deaths except manual strangulation and smothering. Hanging and drowning were leading causes of violent asphyxial deaths. Conclusions: This study concludes that immuno-toxicity by cypermethrin insecticide is not similar in male and female subjects.
2. Reddy KSN. The essentials of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, 19th edition, 2000:283-295.
3. Bennewith O, Gunnell D, Kapur N, Turnbull P, Simkin S, Sutton L et al, Suicide by hanging: multicentre study based on coroner's records in England. The Brit J Psychiatry. 2005; 186:260-1.
4. U.S. Suicide Statistics (2001). Suicide. Org. Suicide Prevention, Awareness and Support. [Cited 2010 Mar 11]. Available from- http://www.suicide.org/suicidestatistics.html.
5. Hanging- New World encyclopedia. [Online] 2009 [cited 2009 Nov 11] Available from-http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/hanging.
6. Parikh CK. Asphyxial death. In: Parikh CK's Text book of Medical Jurisprudence, Forensic Medicine and Toxicology. 8th ed. New Delhi; CBS Publishers; 2005, p. 3.47.
7. Andrew TA, Fallon KK. Asphyxial games in children and adolescents. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2007; 28:303-7.
8. Vij K. Asphyxial Deaths. In: Textbook of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, principles and practice. 4th Ed. ELSEVIER, A division of Reed Elsevier India Private Limited; 2009. p. 117-190.
9. The need for Drowning Prevention Programs in South Asia. [Online] 2010 [cited 2010 Feb 10] available fromhttp://www.swiminia.org/need.html.
10. Guistini M, Taggi F, Funari E. Drowning deaths in Italy. BEN- Notiziario. 2002 Jul- Aug; Vol 15:7-8.
11. Singh OG, Lepcha C, Serma PC. Fatal accidental smothering: A Case Report. J Punjab Acad Forensic Med Toxicol 2011; 11(1):42-43.
12. Richards CE, Wallis DN. Asphyxiation: a review. Trauma 2005.7:37-45.
13. Lalwani S, Sharma GASK, Rautji R, Millo T. Study of suicide among young and middle aged adults in South Delhi. Indian J. Prev. Sec. Med. 2004; 35(4): 173-8.
14. Singh RK, Sonatomba Devi M, Femate L. Analysis of changing pattern of unnatural deaths in Manipur during 1991-1995. J Forensic Med Toxicol, 1997; 26: 23-25.
15. Tirmizi SZ, Mirza FH, Paryar HA. Medicolegal investigation of violent asphyxial deaths-an autopsy based study. J Dow Uni Health Sci, 2012; 6(3): 86-90.
16. Singh A, Gorea RK, Dalal JS, Thind AS. A study of demographic variables of violent asphyxial death. JPFMAT 2003; 3: 22-25.
17. Salacin S. An analysis of the Medicolegal autopsies performed in Adana, Turkey, in 1983-1988. Am J.Forensic Med Pathol, 1991; 12: 191-193.
18. Srinivasa Reddy P, Rajenderkumar R, Rudramurthy. Asphyxial deaths at District hospital, Tumkur, A Retrospective study. J. Indian Acad Forensic Med, April-June 2012, Vol. 34; No.2:146-148.
19. Gurudut KS, Ajaykumar S, Hareesh S Gauda. Analysis of Fatal cases of Mechanical Asphyxia at Belgaun, Karnataka. Journal of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology 2011; 28: 51-53.
20. Kashif Butt M, Massod M, Marium Arif. Analysis of Violent Asphyxial Deaths in Lahore. JFJMC, Jan-March 2014, Vol.8; No.1; 52-56.
21. Chaurasia N, Pandey SK, Mishra A. An Epidemiological Study of Violent Asphyxial Death in Varanasi Region (India) a Killing Tool. J Forensic Res 2012, doi; 10.4172/2157-7145.1000174.
22. Patel -Ankur P, Bhoot-Rajesh K, Patel- Dhaval S, Khusbu. A study of Violent Asphyxial death, International Journal of Medical Toxicology and Forensic Medicine, 2013; 3(2): 48-57.