Seroprevalence of Hepatitis B Virus Infection among OPD Patients Attending Tertiary Care Hospital
Background: Hepatitis B infection is a major global health problem. The hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) in serum is the first seromarker to indicate active HBV infection either acute or chronic. The seroprevalence of Hepatitis B surface antigen among general population attending OPD at a tertiary care hospital is useful in assessing true nature of problem, which can help to estimate the magnitude of HBV infection and aid in devising preventive measures. The aim of the study was to determine the seroprevalence of Hepatitis B infection among OPD patients attending a tertiary care hospital. Methods: Data from Dec 2015- April-2017 for OPD patients underwent HBsAg screening were collected and analysed. Results: A total number of 3891 patients were screened for HBsAg among them 1731 (44.48%) were males and 2160 (55.51%) were females. The seroprevalence of HBsAg in total OPD patients was 90(2.31%), was higher in males 46(2.65%) as compared to females 44(2.03%). The highest seroprevalence was found in 60-71 (4%) age group. Conclusions: The seroprevalence of Hepatitis B positive cases was 2.31% among OPD patients. Also, the rising seroprevalence rates of hepatitis B in males need urgent attention.
2. Qamer S, Shahab T, Alam S, Malik A, Afzal K. Age specific prevalence of Hepatitis B surface antigen in pediatric population of Aligarh, North India. Indian J Pediatr 2004; 71:965-7.
3. Horvat RT, Tegtmeier GE. Hepatitis B and D viruses. Manual of Clinical Microbiology. In: Murray PR, Baron EJ, Jorgensen JH, Pfaller MA and Yolken R H. editors. Washington D.C: ASM Press; 2003. p. 1464-78
4. Cariappa MP, Jayaram J, Bhalwar R, Praharaj AK, Mehta VK, Kapur LK. Epidemiological differentials of Hepatitis B carrier state in the army: A community based seroepidemiological study. Med J Armed Forces India 2004;60:251-4
5. Das BR, Khadapkar R, Giganti M, Sahni S, Shankarappa R. Age, Sex, and HIV seroprevalence among individuals from different parts of India tested for HIV infection in a Non- governmental setting. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2006;22:1067-73
6. Sato K, Ichiyama S, Iinuma Y, Nada T, Shimokata K, Nakashima NJ. Evaluation of immunochromatographic assay systems for rapid detection of hepatitis B surface antigen and antibody, Dainascreen HBsAg and Dainascreen Ausab. Clin Microbiol, 1996;34(6):1420-2.
7. Torlesse H, Wurie IM, Hodges M. The use of immunochromatography test cards in the diagnosis of hepatitis B surface antigen among pregnant women inWest Africa. Br J Biomed Sci 1997; 54(4):256-9.
8. Patil Sr, Ghorpade MV, Patil SS, Pawar Sk, Mohite ST. Seroprevalence of Hepatitis-B surface antigen among the patients reporting at tertiary care hospital from India .Bangladesh J.of Med. Sciences Vol15 No.03.July 16 pg-455-459
9. Purti Chandrashekher Tripathi, Trinain Kumar Chakraverti, Nileshkumar Ramniklal Khant. Seroprevalence of hepatitis B surface antigen and antibody to hepatitis C virus at a tertiary care centre in Telangana International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences | January 2015 | Vol 3 | Issue 1p 297-300.
10. Samatha P., Manasa Sireesha D., Bondili Sai Sowmya Sero prevalence of Hepatitis B surface antigen, antibodies to Hepatitis C, & HIV in a hospital based population, IJSAR, 1(2), 2014; 28-32.
11. Sayed A. Quadri, H.J. Dadapeer, K. Mohammed Arifulla3 and Nazia Khan4 Prevalence of Hepatitis B Surface Antigen in hospital based population in Bijapur, Karnataka Al Ameen J Med Sci 2013; 6(2) :180-182.
12. Payal Mathur, Priyanka Soni Gupta*, Ranveer Singh, Geeta Parihar and Priyam Sharma Seroprevalence of Hepatitis B Surface Antigen and Anti-hepatitis C Virus Antibody in a Hospital-Based Population in Ajmer, Rajasthan, India Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci (2016) 5(10): 1023-1029.
13. Smita Sood. SEROLOGICAL EVALUATION OF HEPATITIS B VIRUS in outpatient department patients of a private hospital in north-west india National Journal of Community Medicine│Volume 4│Issue 3│July – Sept 2013 p (485-488).
14. Lodha, R., Jain, Y., Anand, K., Kabra, S.K., Pandav, C.S. 2001. Hepatitis B in India: A review of disease epidemiology. Indian Pediatr., 38: 1318–22. (PubMed)
15. KURIEN et al: Community prevalence of hepatitis B infection & modes of transmission in Tamil Nadu, India. Indian J Med Res 121(5),2005 :670-675
16. Shrestha Santos M. Seroepidemiology of viral hepatitis in Surkhet, Nepal. Journal of the Institute of Medicine, March 1989: 1-10.
17. Chaudhary I A0, Khan SS, Majrooh MA, Alvi AA. Seroprevalence of hepatitis B and C among patients reporting in a surgical OPD at Fauji Foundation Hospital, Rawalpindi: Review of 5year literature. Pak J Med Sci 2007;23:514-7.
18. Chaudhary IA, Khan SA, Samiullah. Should we do hepatitis B and C screening on each patient before surgery: Analysis of 142 cases. Pak J Med Sci 2005;21(3):278-80.
19. Ali N, Khattak J, Anwar M, Tariq WZ, Nadeem M,Irfan M, et al. Prevalence of Hepatitis B surface antigen and Hepatitis C antibody in young healthy adults.Pakistan J Pathol 2002;13(4):3-6.
20. Almani SA, Memon AS, Qureshi AF, Memon NM. Hepatitis viral status in Sindh. Professional Med J 2002;9(1):36-43.
21. Sood S, Malvankar S. Seroprevalence of Hepatitis B surface antigen, antibodies to the Hepatitis C virus, and human immunodeficiency virus in a hospital-based population in Jaipur, Rajasthan. Indian J Community Med 2010;35:165-9.
22. Singh K, Bhat S, Shastry S. Trend in seroprevalence of Hepatitis B virus infection among blood donors of coastal Karnataka. India J Infect Dev Ctries 2009; 3(5):376-379.
23. WHO, World Health Forum, 4 (2), 1983 :135-141.
24. KURIEN et al: Community prevalence of hepatitis B infection & modes of transmission in Tamil Nadu, India. Indian J Med Res 121(5), 2005:670-675
25. Szmuess W, Sirsch RL, Prince AM et al.Hepatitis B surface antigen in blood donors furthers observations. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 1997 ,131 :111-117.
Copyright (c) 2017 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.