A Prospective Observation Study to know the Prevalence of Thyroid Disorders in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
Background: Diabetes mellitus and thyroid diseases are the two common endocrinopathies seen in the adult population. Insulin and thyroid hormones are intimately involved in cellular metabolism. Excess or deficit of either of these hormones could result in the functional derangement of the other.
Methods: This study was conducted on the Type 2 diabetic patients to know the prevalence of thyroid abnormalities. The duration of study over a period of one year.
Results: The result of this study revealed that thyroid profile in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus 20% of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus had abnormal thyroid profile.
Conclusion: This study concludes that Routine screening for thyroid dysfunction in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients may be justified especially in females.
2. Alvin C .Powers. Diabetes mellitus. Harrison’s principles of internal medicine 17th edition,2008: 2275-2304.
3. IDF Diabetes atlas 4th edition, 2009.
4. WHO(2003), Tech. Rep. Ser., N 916.
5. WHO(2002), Health situation in the South East Asia Region 1998-2000, New Delhi.
6. International Diabetes Federation, 20th October 2009, Montreal.
7. UN. 83rd plenary meeting, 20th December 2006. 61st session; Agenda 113.
8. Wild S, Rogli G, Green A. Global prevalence of diabetes estimates for the year 2000 and projection for 2030. Diabetes Care, 2004; 27: 1047-53.
9. Arthur M.Michalek, Martin C.Mahoney, Donald Calebaugh: Hypothyroidism and Diabetes Mellitus in an American Indian Population. Journal of family practice 2000 July; 49:638-640.
10. Jali MV, Mohan V, Ramchandran A, Snehlatha C and Viswanathan M; High Prevalence of diabetes in an Urban population in South India. BMJ Sept 1988; Vol. 297: p- 587-590.
11. Flatau E.; Trougouboff P.; Kaufman N.; Reichman N.; Luboshitzky R. Prevalence of hypothyroidism and diabetes mellitus in elderly kibbutz members. European Journal of Epidemiology, Volume 16, Number 1, January 2000 , pp. 43-46(4).
12. Kapur A., Snehlatha C., Ramchandran A., Vijay V., Mohan V., Das A.K., Rao P.V., Yajnik C.S., Prasanna Kumar K.M., Jyotsna Nair: High prevalence of diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in India. National Urban diabetes survey. Diabetologia 2001; Vol. 44: 1094 –1101.
13. Abdel Rahman, Nusier MK, Amari FL et al. Thyroid dysfunction in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Jordan. Saudi Med J. 2004 Aug;25(8):1046-50.
14. Smithson MJ. Screening for thyroid dysfunction in a community population of diabetic patients. Diabet Med 1998; 15 (2): 148-50.
15. Celani MF, Bonati ME, Stucci N. Prevalence of abnormal thyrotropin concentrations measured by a sensitive assay in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Res 1994; 27: 15-25.
16. Tunbridge WMG, Evered DC and Hall R et al; The spectrum of thyroid disease in a community. The Whickham survey. Clin. Endocrinol(oxf) 1977: 7: 481-93.
17. Vanderpump MP, Tunbridge WM, Frence JM, Appleton D, Bates D, Clark F, et al. Thee incidence of thyroid disorders in the community: a twenty year follow up of whickham survey. J Clin Endocrinology 1995;43(1):55-68.
Copyright (c) 2022 Syed Sibte Akbar Abidi, Devesh Gupta
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.