Factors Affecting Dental Implant Failure in Patients Reporting to Periodontology Department Khyber College of Dentistry Peshawar Pakistan
Objective: To determine factors affecting dental implant failure in patients reporting to Periodontology department Khyber College of Dentistry, Peshawar.
Material and methods: This retrospective study was conducted on 50 consecutive cases having failed implants. Inclusion criteria were cases having age from 30 to 70 years, both gender and Pakistani nationals. Patients suffering from endocrine problems, chronic infectious disorders, periodontitis, using immunosuppressive drugs and pregnant females were excluded from study. Data like age, implant length, diameter and bone quality were recorded. The data were entered and analyzed in SPSS version 22. Descriptive statistics like mean and SD was calculated for continuous data and frequency and percentages were calculated for categorical variables. Factors for implant’s failure were stratified by gender using Chi-square test. P≤0.05 was considered significant.
Results: The males were 29(58%) and females were 21(42%). The mean age was 51.3±9.73 years. The most common site of failure was maxillary posterior (n=18, 36%) followed by mandibular posterior (n=13, 26%) then by maxillary anterior (n=12, 24%). Most failure was seen in implants having length less than 10mm (n=24, 48%) followed by >11.5mm (n=17, 34%). The most failed implants were <3.5mm diameter (n=22, 44%) followed by >4.5mm (n=17, 34%). The common age in which implant failure was seen was above 50 years (n=23, 46%).
Conclusion: Most common factors for implant failure were posterior maxillary area, shorter length, thin diameter and increasing age.
2. Baqain ZH, Moqbel WY, Sawair FA. Early dental implant failure: risk factors. Br J Oral and Maxillofac Surg 2012;50(3):239-43.
3. Dawson DR, Jasper S. Key systemic and environmental risk factors for implant failure. Dent Clin 2015;59(1):25-39.
4. Natasha S, Kapusevska B. Overview of prosthodontic complications related with dental implants. Acta Morphologica 2018;15(1):90-8.
5. Kumar PS. Systemic risk factors for the development of periimplant diseases. Implant Dent 2019;28(2):115-9.
6. Van Steenberghe D, Jacobs R, Desnyder M, Maffei G, Quirynen M. The relative impact of local and endogenous patient‐related factors on implant failure up to the abutment stage. Clin Oral Implants Res 2002;13(6):617-22.
7. Jemt T. Implant Survival in the Edentulous Jaw-30 Years of Experience. Part I: A Retro-Prospective Multivariate Regression Analysis of Overall Implant Failure in 4,585 Consecutively Treated Arches. Int J Prosthod 2018;31(5):425-35.
8. Albrektsson T, Brånemark P-I, Hansson H-A, Lindström J. Osseointegrated titanium implants: requirements for ensuring a long-lasting, direct bone-to-implant anchorage in man. Acta Orthop Scand 1981;52(2):155-70.
9. Raikar S, Talukdar P, Kumari S, Panda SK, Oommen VM, Prasad A. Factors affecting the survival rate of dental implants: A retrospective study. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent 2017;7(6):351.
10. Eawsakul K, Tancharoen S, Nasongkla N. Combination of dip coating of BMP-2 and spray coating of PLGA on dental implants for osseointegration. J Drug Deliv Sci Technol 2021;61:102296.
11. Zhang C, Zhang T, Geng T, Wang X, Lin K, Wang P. Dental implants loaded with bioactive agents promote osseointegration in osteoporosis: A review. Front Bioengin Biotech 2021;9:8-15.
12. Olate S, Lyrio MCN, de Moraes M, Mazzonetto R, Moreira RWF. Influence of diameter and length of implant on early dental implant failure. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010;68(2):414-9.
13. Feldman S, Boitel N, Weng D, Kohles SS, Stach RM. Five year survival distributions of short kength (10 mm or less) machined-surfaced and osseotite implants. Clini Implant Dent Relat Res 2004;6(1):16-23.
14. Herrmann I, Lekholm U, Holm S, Kultje C. Evaluation of patient and implant characteristics as potential prognostic factors for oral implant failures. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implant 2005;20(2):220-5.
15. Anner R, Better H, Chaushu G. The clinical effectiveness of 6 mm diameter implants. J Periodontol 2005;76(6):1013-5.
16. Do TA, Le HS, Shen Y-W, Huang H-L, Fuh L-J. Risk factors related to late failure of dental implant -a systematic review of recent studies. Int J Envirom Res Public Health 2020;17(11):3931.
17. Baqain ZH, Moqbel WY, Sawair FA. Early dental implant failure: risk factors. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012;50(3):239-43.
Copyright (c) 2021 Muhammad Jamil, Hussam ., Muhammad Ifham Khan Jadoon, Mahirah Iqbal, Wajeeha Urooj , Mashal Riaz
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.