The Symmetry and Position of Mental Foramen in Population of Jaipur City Using Digital Panoramic Radiograph
Background: The mental foramen may be round or oval in shape, it may be absent, unilateral, bilateral and in some cases may be multiple on one or both sides of the mandible. It is also often reported to open with a posterosuperior orientation. Thus it is important to have knowledge of the probable location the mental foramen on the basis of age gender and symmetry of the mental triangle.
Methods: The present study was conducted in Department of oral & maxillofacial surgery in Mahatma Gandhi Dental College And Hospital, Jaipur, Rajasthan. The study comprised of 400 digital panoramic radiographs of age group ranging from 18-60 years of both sex (200 male and 200 female), from the database of oral medicine and radiology department, which satisfied inclusion criteria. Results: The present study showed that the maximal percentage of mental foramen as oval shaped seen in right side (87.5% & 98.0% in male and female respectively) and in left side (75.0% & 96.0% in male and female respectively). The maximum number of mental foramen was seen between first and second premolar (109 in right side & 110 in left side), followed by 79 in right side & 72 in left side mental foramen situated in line with second premolar in male and in female, the maximum number of mental foramen was seen between first and second premolar 96 in right side & 108 in left side, followed by 92 in right side & 79 in left side mental foramen situated in line with second premolar in panoramic view in radiograph. Conclusions: An accurate assessment of position of mental foramen is very useful for the prevention of postsurgical neurovascular complications and also holds the potential of contributing as an aid for forensic identification. Multicenter studies within different populations would help in establishing its role in forensic odontology.
2. Igbigbi P.S,Lebona S: The postion and dimension of the menyal foramen in adult in Malawian mandibles. WAJM 2005;24(3):184-189.
3. Rupesh S, Winnier J.J, John S.A, Joy T, Rao A.P, Reddy V: Radiographic study of the location of mental foramen in a randomly selected Asian indian population on digital panoramic radiographs. J Med. Sci 2011;11(2):90-95.
4. Jamdade A S, Yadav S, Bhayana R, Khare V, Pardhe N, Mathur N:Radiographic Localization Of Mental Foramen In A Selected Indian Population 2013;249-253
5. Afkhami F, Haraji A, Boostani H. R: Radiographic localization of the mental foramen and mandibular canal. J. Dent 2013;10(5):436-442
6. AherV, Pillai P, Ali F. M, Mustafa M , Ahire M,Mudhol A, Kadri M: Anatomical position of mental foramen: A review. GJMEDPH 2012;1(1):61-64.
7. Seema S, Bhavana D, Kamlesh T, Penci CA. Morphometric analysis of mental foramen in human mandibles of Gujarat region. Int J Sci Res 2014;3:36-7.
8. Haghanifar S, Rokouei M. Radiographic evaluation of the mental foramen in a selected Iranian population. Indian J Dent Res 2009;20:150-2.
9. Shankland WE 2nd. The position of the mental foramen in Asian Indians. J Oral Implantol 1994;20:118-23.
10. Ilayperuma I, Nanayakkara G, Palahepitiya N:Morphometric analysis of the mental foramen in adult Sri Lankan mandibles. Int. J.Morphol 2009;27(4):1019-1024.
11. Rajani Singh, Ajay Kumar Srivastav. Study of position, shape, size and incidence of Mental foramen and Accessory Mental foramen in Indian Adult Human Skulls. Int. J. Morphol. 2010;28 (4): 1141-1146.
12. Kahraman Gungor, Mustafa Ozturk, Semiz M, Brooks SL. A radiographic study of location of mental foramen in a selected Turkish population on panoramic radiograph. Coll Antropol. 2006;30(4): 801-5.
13. Sina Haghanifar, Mehrak Rokouei. Radiographic evaluation of the mental foramen in a selected Iranian Population. IJDR.2009;20(2): 150-152.
14. Saritha Maloth, Shrinivas TR, Padamshree S & Priya M. Study on the position and symmetry of the mental foramen on panoramic radiographs in Indian Population. JIMD. 2015;3: 147.
15. Gershenson A, Nathan H, Luchansky E. Mental foramen and mental nerve: Changes with age. Acta Anat (Basel) 1986;126:21-8.
Copyright (c) 2017 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.