Comparative Study of Heart Rate Variability Between Smokers and Gutka Chewers
Background:There is an established link between smoking, gutka chewing and impaired cardiovascular health in middle-aged or older population.
OBJECTIVE: Evaluation of Heart rate variability (HRV) in smokers and gutka chewers for assessing cardiac autonomic nervous system.
Methods: This was a cross-sectional case-control study involving 40 male smokers (age group 20-60 years), 40 gutkha chewers (age group 20-60 years) along with 40 age matched healthy male controls. Case and control subjects were evaluated for Time domain parameters: Mean RR interval(s); Mean HR(ms); RMSSD(ms) and Frequency domain HRV parameters: LF (ms2); HF (ms2); LF/HF ratio; LF(n.u); HF(n.u) and LF/HF ratio. Level of significance derived using unpaired student “t” test.
Results: Changes seen in Heart rate variability (HRV) were more significant in smokers than gutkha chewers when results were compared with control subjects.
Conclusion: Decreased Heart rate variability indicates deranged cardiovascular autonomic nervous system in smokers and gutkha chewers subjects.
2. Craig WY, Palomaki GE, Johnson AM, Haddow JE. Cigarette smoking associated changes in blood lipid andlipoproteinlevels in the 8-19-yearold age group: A meta-analysis. Pediatrics 1990;85:155-8.
3. RamanunthyV,RaveendranS,Thirumein S and KrishnaveniS. Biochemical changes of cigarette smokers and non-cigarette smokers.IJALS,2012;1;6872.
4. Chhabra, A., Hussain, S. & Rashid, S. Recent trends of tobacco use in India. J Public Health (Berl.) (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10389-019-01091-3.
5. Richardson JK, Jamieson SC. Cigarette smoking and ulnar mononeuropathy at elbow. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2004; 83(9): 730–734.
6. Cryer PE,Haymond MW,Santiago JV. Norepinephrine release and adrenergic mediation of smoking associated hemodynamic and metabolic events .NEngl J med.1976; 296:573-577.
7. Gidding SS, Xie X, Liu K, Manolio T, Flack JM, GardinJM. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1995 Jul;26(1):211-6.
8. Hill P,Wynder EL. Smoking and cardiovascular disease :Effect of nicotine on serum epinephrine and corticoids .Am Heart J,1974; 87:491-496.
9. Hayano J, Yamada M, Sakakibara Y, Fujinami T, Yokoyama K, Watanabe Y, Takata K. Short and long term effects of cigarette smoking on heart rate variability. The Am J Cardiol 1990; 65(1):84-8
10. Pomeranz B, Macaulay RJ, Caudill MA, Kutz I, Adam D, Gordon D, Kilborn KM, Barger AC, Shanon DC, Cohen RJ. Assessment of autonomic function in humans by heart rate spectral analysis. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 1985; 248: H151H 3
11. Akselrod S, Gordon D, Ubel FA, Shanon DC, Barger AC, Cohen RJ. Power spectrum analysis of heart rate fluctuation: a quantitative probe of beat to beat cardiovascular control. Science1981;213:220-22
12. Task Force of the European society of cardiology and the North American society of pacing and electrophysiology. Heart Rate Variability. Standards of measurement, physiological interpretation and clinical use. Circulation 1996;93: 1043-65.
13. Faden A, Mendeza E, Flynn F. Subclinical neuropathy associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, possible pathophysiologic role of smoking: Arch Neurol. 1981;38:639-42.
14. Stanley Berent, Neurobehavioral Toxicology: Neuropsychological & neurological perspectives:Vol.II, 2005, First Edition; 495, Psychology Press, USA.
15. Jyoti arora et al. on correlation of smoking index with the motor nerve conduction study in mild, moderate and heavy smokers 2019).
16. Rahman I, Swarska E, Heney M, Stolk J, MacNee W. Is there any relationship between plasma antioxidant capacity and lung fuction in smokers and in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax 2000; 55: 189– 193.
17. Manzano BM, Vanderlei LC, Ramos EM, Ramos D. Acute effects of smoking on autonomic modulation: Analysis by Poincaré plot. Arq Bras Cardiol 2011;96(2):154-60.
18. Kobayashi F, Watanabe T, Akamatsu Y, Furui H, Tomita T, Ohashi R, et al. Acute effects of cigarette smoking on the heart rate variability of taxi drivers during work. Scand J Work Environ Health 2005;31(5):360-6.
Copyright (c) 2021 Bipin Kumar, Meenakshi Gupta, M. Mobarak Hossain
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.