Outcome and Management of Jaundice in Antenatal Patients: A Hospital Based Study
Background: Aim of the current study was to know the etiological factors of jaundice among pregnant patients, outcome and management. Methods: A retrospective study done at Krishna Mohan Medical College & Hospital in the department of obstetrics & gynecology among pregnant patients with jaundice admitted in obstetric wards and labour room. Results: Among total 1565 admissions, 115 (7.35%) patients presented with jaundice. Out of all admissions 40 (2.55%) were HBSAg, 14 (0.89%) HEV, 12 (0.76%) HCV, 10 (0.64%) of HBSAg and HEV co-infection, cholestasis with pregnancy 25 (1.60%) and 14 (0.90%) patients with pre-eclamptic liver disease with HELLP. Conclusion: Jaundice in pregnancy may be deadly to mother and fetus. As the course of the disease is also rapid and in short period it may affect the fetus in utero also, early detection and prompt management of these cases should be done.
2. Creasy RK, Resnik R. Jaundice. In: Creasy RK, Resnik R, eds. Maternal Fetal Medicine: Principles and Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2004: 713.
3. Shalimar, Sulrat K. Acharya. Hepatitis E and acute liver failure in pregnancy. J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2013;3(3):213-24.
4. Lata I. Hepatobiliary diseases during pregnancy and their management: an update. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci. 2013;3(3):175-82.
5. Goel A, Jamwal KD, Ramachandran A, Balasubramanian KA, Eapen CE. Pregnancy-related liver disorders. J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2014;4(2):151-62.
6. Oladokun A, Otegbayo JA, Adeniyi AA. Maternal and fetal outcomes of jaundice in at pregnancy the University College Hospital, Ibadan. Niger J Clin Pract. 2009;12(3):277-80.
7. Joshi D, James A, Quaglia A, Westbrook RH, Heneghan MA. Liver disease in pregnancy cholestasis. Lancet. 2010;375:594-605.
8. Nagaria Tripti, Agarwal S. Fetomaternal outcome in jaundice during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol India. 2005;55(5):424-7.
9. Sapre S, Joshi V. Changing trends of maternal mortality in North M.P. J Obstet Gynecol. 2009;49:53-6.
Copyright (c) 2017 Jyoti Kedia, Kasturi R. Gadage
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.