Recurrence Rate in Primary Pterygium Managed by Surgical Excision of Pterygium with Application of Mitomycin-C over Bare Sclera and Free Conjunctival Autografting
Background: To study recurrence rate in 50 cases of primary pterygium managed by surgical excision of pterygium along with application of mitomycin-C 0.02% over bare sclera for 2 minutes and ipsilateral free conjunctival autografting. Methods: This prospective observational study was carried out on 50 patients of primary pterygium operated between 25.05.2016—10.08.2016. Pterygium excision was done, 0.02% mitomycin-C was applied over bare sclera for 2 minutes and ipsilateral free conjunctival autografting was done using sutures. Patients were followed up for a mean period of 13.27 months for recurrence. Results: 55 eyes of 50 patients were operated by above technique by a single surgeon1. Three (3) patients were lost in follow up. In an average follow-up time of 13.27 months, recurrence was found in only 1 case (1.92%). No serious side effects were observed in this study. Conclusions: Primary Pterygium managed by excision of pterygium followed by intraoperative mitomycin-C application and conjunctival autografting is an easy, reproducible and cost effective method which helps in reducing recurrence with minimal complications.
2. Hirst L.W. Sebban A, Chant D. Pterygium recurrence time. Ophthalmology 1994: 101; 755-758
3. Tan D.T. Conjunctival rotation autograft for pterygium. An alternative to conjunctival autografting. Ophthalmology; 1999: Jan 106(1):67-71
4. Frucht Pery J. The use of low dose mitomycin-C for prevention of recurrent pterygium surgery. Cornea 1994; 13: 411-413
5. Levartovsky S. Application of mitomycin-C 0.02% for 2 minutes at the end of surgery. Br.J.Ophthalmol 1998; 82:97-98
6. Cheng H.C. et al. Low dose intraoperative mitomycin-C as a chemo adjuvant for pterygium surgery. Cornea; Jan: 24-29
7. Kenyon R.K. et al. Conjunctival autograft transplantation for advanced and recurrent pterygium. Ophthalmology; 1985;92:1461-1470
8. Riordan Eva P. Conjunctival autografting in surgical management of pterygium. EYE 1993; 7(5):634-638
9. Ti Se et al. Analysis of variation in success rates in conjunctival autografting for primary and recurrent pterygium. Br.J.O. 2000 Apr:84(4): 385-392
10. Wong V.A. and Law FC. Use of mitomycin-C with conjunctival autograft in pterygium surgery in Asian-Canadians. Ophthalmology 1999; Vol 106: 1512-1515
11. Rubinfeld R.S. et al. Serious complications of topical mitomycin-C after pterygium surgery. Ophthalmology;1992: Nov: 1647-1654
Copyright (c) 2017 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.