Assessment of Incidence of Appendicitis Among Known Population: A Hospital Based Prospective Study
Background: Appendicitis is the commonly observed acute abdominal state and the most common reason for surgeries of abdomen. There has been a drastic reduction in morbidity and mortality related with appendicitis in 20th century because of better obtainability of healthcare amenities. The present study was conducted with the aim to assess the incidence of appendicitis amongst known population.
Methods: This hospital based prospective study was performed in Department of Surgery, R.B.M. Hospital, Bharatpur, Rajasthan, India. Detailed history of all the subjects were obtained and complete blood analysis of all the subjects were performed. Radiological diagnosis was taken for final confirmation of appendicitis by abdominal ultrasound. All the data was tabulated and analysed by SPSS software. Percentage of the data was calculated.
Results: In this study a total 2600 subjects were examined out of which 200 subjects had appendicitis. The incidence being 7.6%. There were 130 males and 70 females. The mean age group of females 33.18+/-9.38 years and mean age of males was 42.17+/-3.14 years. There were 53% cases of pyrexia. 42% subjects showed rebound tenderness. There were 17% cases of guarding.
Conclusions: Acute appendicitis is a usually occurring clinical condition that needs immediate management. The incidence of appendicitis in our study was 7.6%.
2. Seem K. Endoscopic appendectomy. Endoscopy. 1983;15:59–64.
3. Mulholland MW, Approach to the patient with acute abdomen.Yamaha T, Alpers DIT, O wyang C, laine I, Powel DIT.Test book of Gastroenterology, vol-:I-:I, 3rd ed: Philadelphia: Lippencott Williams and Walkins, 1999: 826-40 ).
4. Kurtz RJ, Heimann TM. Comparison of open and laparoscopic treatment of acute appendicitis. Am J Surg. 2001;182:211–4.
5. Biondi A, Grosso G, Mistretta A, Marventano S, Toscano C, Drago F, Gangi S, Basile F. Laparoscopic vs. open approach for colorectal cancer: evolution over time of minimal invasive surgery. BMC Surg. 2013;13 Suppl 2:S12.
6. Dhupar R, Evankovich J, Ochoa JB, Vargas LG, Hughes SJ. Outcome of operative management of appendicitis. Surgical Infections 2012;13(3):141-146.
7. Margenthaler JA, Longo WE, Virgo KS, et al. Risk factors for adverse outcomes after the surgical treatment of appendicitis in adults. Ann Surg 2003;238(1):59-66.
8. Grosso G, Biondi A, Marventano S, Mistretta A, Calabrese G, Basile F. Major postoperative complications and survival for colon cancer elderly patients. BMC Surg. 2012;12 Suppl 1:S20.
9. Biondi A, Grosso G, Mistretta A, Marventano S, Toscano C, Gruttadauria S, Basile F. Laparoscopic-assisted versus open surgery for colorectal cancer: short-and long-term outcomes comparison. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2013;23:1–7.
10. Ignacio RC, Burke R, Spencer D, Bissell C, Dorsainvil C, Lucha PA. Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy: what is the real difference? Results of a prospective randomized double-blinded trial. Surg Endosc. 2004;18:334–7.
11. Martin LC, Puente I, Sosa JL, Bassin A, Breslaw R, McKenney MG, Ginzburg E, Sleeman D. Open versus laparoscopic appendectomy. A prospective randomized comparison. Ann Surg. 1995;222:256–61.
12. Chung RS, Rowland DY, Li P, Diaz J. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials of laparoscopic versus conventional appendectomy. Am J Surg. 1999;177:250–6.
13. Nundy S, Nagral S. In: The Appendix. Elsevier, India,2012
14. Gilmore OJA, Jones D, Yang Q, Appendicitis and mimicking conditions. Lancet 1975; II: 4 21-24.
15. Jaschinski T, Mosch C, Eikermann M, Neugebauer EA. Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy in patients with suspected appendicitis: a systematic review of meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials. BMC Gastroenterol. 2015;15:48.
16. Naresh P, Mahavir G, Kumar S. Acute appendicitis: its symptoms, complications and management, a retrospective study. International Journal of Enhanced Research in Medicines & Dental Care, ISSN: 2349-1590 Vol. 3 Issue 1, January-2016
17. Jain AK. Surgical management of appendicitis and its complications-A retrospective study. The Southeast Asian Journal of Case Report and Review. 2013;2(4):212-7.
18. Humes DJ, Simpsoon J. Acute appendicitis. BMJ 2006;333:530-4.
Copyright (c) 2019 Anil Gupta
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.