Importance of Synovial Biopsy of Knee Joint in the Diagnosis of Various Joint Disorders
Background: Rheumatoid arthritis hardly causes diagnostic problems when presented typically. Generally, difficulties arise when atypical clinical presentation is related with non-contributory preliminary investigations. Arthritis is an important cause of morbidity.
Methods: In this study 60 total numbers of cases were included. This study was conducted in the Department of Orthopedics in K M Medical College & Hospital, Mathura. The duration of study was over a period of one year.
Result: This result revealed that 40% cases were suffering from Chronic non -specific synovitis, 31.6% Rheumatoid arthritis, 6.7% Septic Arthritis & Osteoarthritis, 5% Gout & Synovial (osteo) chondro mitosis,3.3% Synovial sarcoma, 1.6% Giant cell tumor of tendon sheath
Conclusion: This study concludes that Diagnostic method like immune-histological methods can be used to eliminate the “non-specificity”. It is also useful in achieving a better specific diagnosis.
2. Baeten D, van den Bosch F, Elewaut D, Stuer A, Veys EM, De Keyser F. Needle arthroscopy of the knee with synovial biopsy sampling: Technical experience in 150 patients. Clin Rheumatol 1999;18:434‑41.
3. To assess the incidence of various joint diseases in the present study.
4. MISGAR et al. The problems in the diagnosis of chronic synovitis of the knee.journal of indian medical association 1978 ; 70 ; 6: 132 -135.
5. SCHUMACHER HR AND KULPA JP et al. Needle biopsy of synovial membrane experience with parkar – pearson technique. new england journal of medicine 1972 ; 286 : 416 - 419.
6. NORMAN S COOPER et al. Diagnostic specificity of synovial lesions. Journal of human pathology 1981; 12 part 4: 314-328.
7. ABHAYANKAR SC et al. Histopathological study of synovium in chronic joint diseases. indian journal of pathology and micro biology 1987 ; 30 : 1-5.
8. GOLDEN BERG et al. Synovial membrane histopathology in the differential diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, gout, Psuedogout, SLE, infective arthritis and degenerative joint diseases. journal of indian medical association 1978; 57 part 3 : 325 – 329.
Copyright (c) 2019 Mohkam Singh, Rakesh Kumar Gupta
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.