A Comparative Study on Elderly Pulmonary Tuberculosis Patients on the Basis of Radiological & Microbiological findings in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital
INTRODUCTION:- the present study was planned and the aim of the present study was to compare the clinical, radiological and laboratory manifestations of PTB among geriatric patients. The biological changes associated with aging, associated malnutrition and acute or chronic diseases have been reported to disrupt protective barriers, contribute to the expected age-related diminution in cellular immune responses and impair microbial clearance mechanisms against Mycobacterium TB.
METHODOLOGY:- This study analyzed the 100 elderly pulmonary tuberculosis cases. This study was conducted in the Department of TB & Respiratory Diseases, Shri Dev Suman Subharti Medical College, Dehradun.
The duration of study was over a period of two year.
RESULTS:- In the present study, 85% people had cough, 92% fever, 42%anorexia, 30% chest pain, 21% hemoptysis, 52% weakness. In the sputum microscopy, 23% negative, 11% scanty, 22% 1+, 25% 2+,19% 3+ we were found according to grading of RNTCP.
CONCLUSION:- Elderly patients of PTB presented with recognized clinical and radiological features of disease, but a fair number had to be prescribed nonstandard regimens.
2. Rawat J, Sindhwani G, Juyal R. Clinico-radiological profile of new smear positive pulmonary tuberculosis cases among young adult and elderly people in a tertiary care hospital at Deheradun (Uttarakhand). Indian J Tuberc 2008;55:84-90
3. Morris CDW. The Radiography, Hematology and Biochemistry of pulmonary tuberculosis in the aged. Q J Med 1989;71: 529-535.
4. Morris CDW. Pulmonary Tuberculosis in the elderly: a different disease? (Editorial). Thorax 1990; 45: 912-913.
5. 5. Yoshikawa TT. Perspective: Ageing and Infectious diseases: Past, present and future. J Infect Dis 1997;176: 1053-1057
6. Rajagopalan S. Tuberculosis and aging: a global healthproblem. Clin Infect Dis 2001; 33: 1034-9.
7. Morris CD. Pulmonary tuberculosis in the elderly: a differentdisease? Thorax 1990; 45: 912-3.
8. Perez-Guzman C, Torres-Cruz A, Villarreal-Velarde H, Vargas MH. Progressive agerelated changes in pulmonary tuberculosis images and the effect of diabetes. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 162:1738-40.
9. Chan CH, Woo J, Or KK, Chan RC, Cheung W. The effect of age on the presentation of patients with tuberculosis. Tuber Lung Dis 1995;76:290-4.
10. Perez-Guzman C, Vargas MH, Torres-Cruz A, Villarreal-Velarde H. Does aging modify pulmonary tuberculosis? Ameta-analytical review. Chest 1999; 116: 961-7.
11. Arora VK, Bedi RS. Geriatric tuberculosis in HimachalPradesh–a clinico-radiological profile. J Assoc Physicians India1989; 37: 205-7.
12. Lee JH, Han DH, Song JW,Chung HS. Diagnostic and therapeutic problems of pulmonary tuberculosis in elderlypatients. J Korean Med Sci2005; 20: 784-9.
13. Leung CC, Yew WW, Chan CK, Chau CH, Tarn CM, Lam CW, et al. Tu b e r c u l o s i s i n older people: a retrospective andcomparative study from Hong Kong. J Am GeriatrSoc2002;50: 1219-26.
14. Rawat J, Sindhwani G, Juyal R. Clinico-radiological profile of new smear positive pulmonary tuberculosis cases among young adult and elderly people in a tertiary care hospital at Deheradun (Uttarakhand). Indian J Tuberc 2008;55:84-90.
15. Dheeraj Gupta , Navneet Singh , Ravinder Kumar and Surinder K. Jindal Manifestations of Pulmonary Tuberculosis in the Elderly: A Prospective Observational Study from North India. The Indian Journal of Chest Diseases & Allied Science 2008; 50:263-267.
16. Leung CC, Li T, Lam TH, Yew WW, Law WS. Tarn CM, et al. Smoking and tuberculosis among the elderly in Hong Kong. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2004; 170: 1027-33.
17. Rocha M, Pereira S, Barros H,Seabra J. Does pulmonary tuberculosis change with aging? Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 1997;1:147-51
18. Van den BrandeP, Vernies T, VerwerfitJ,VanBleyenber R, Van-hoenacker F, Demedts M. Impact of age and radiographic presentation on the presumptive diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis. Respir Med 2002;96:979-83
19. Liaw YS, Yang PC, YuCJ, Wu ZG, Chang DB, Lee LN, Kuo SH, LUh KT. Clinical spectrum of tuberculosis in older patients. J AM Geriatr Soc 1995; 43: 256-60.
20. Umeki S. Comparison of younger and elderly patients with pulmonary tuberculosis.Respiration 1989;55:75-83.
Copyright (c) 2019 Deepak Kumar Kalra
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.