Knowledge and Awareness Regarding Leprosy and its Treatment Among Leprosy Patients in a Tertiary Care Hospital
Background: Study was conducted to assess awareness of leprosy and its treatment among leprosy patients presenting at a tertiary care hospital in Lucknow (UP), India. Methods: The study was conducted by a qualified interviewer using a 12-point self-prepared questionnaire on 78 leprosy patients turning up at the Dermatology Out-Patient Department of I.I.M.S & R and Hospital in Lucknow (UP) from January 2015 to June 2016. Results: Around 73% patients had heard about leprosy, while remaining 27% patients were either unaware or not sure. About 33% of the total 78 patients thought leprosy to be a type of infection, 21.7% said it was due to bad blood, 20.5% said it was exclusively a skin disease, 10% attributed it to supernatural phenomenon and rest of the 14% patients were unsure about its cause. Nearly 43.5% patients believed that they got the disease by coming in direct contact with some infected individual and 25.6% patients believed it to be as a result of some alteration in the blood. About 56.4% patients believed that leprosy was a communicable disease. Only 30.7% patients were confident that leprosy was curable. Approximately 72% patients knew one or more sign/symptom of leprosy. Only 23% patients were well aware of multidrug therapy (MDT) for leprosy while even a further lower percentage had knowledge of its free availability at government hospitals or centres. More than 90% patients did not know about the duration of treatment. Only about 27% patients believed that allopathic medications would be best for curing leprosy while remaining 63% patients were either not sure or believed that alternate medicine (unani, homeopathy or auyurveda) could cure leprosy better. Literacy influenced the answer for many of the questions although in few areas it had less or no effect at all. Conclusion: Awareness of leprosy is still not adequate among the masses. Further steps are needed to ensure that basic knowledge of leprosy, its signs & symptoms, MDT and its availability is conveyed more to the general population by educating them at the grass root level through various literacy programme and other innovative ideas.
2. Hansen AH. Facultative oderobligatorische Isolation der Lepro¨ sen. Report 1st Int. Lep. Conf. III;1897:1-10.
3. Rogers L & Muir E Prophylaxis. In: Leprosy, 2nd edn (eds L Rogers & E Muir) John Wright and Sons Ltd, Bristol;1940:98-138.
4. WHO, Expert Committee on Leprosy. WHO Technical Report Series. Geneva: WHO; 2010.
5. Bekri W, Gebre S, Mengiste A et al. Delay in diagnosis of leprosy and start of treatment in leprosy patients: a case control study of disabled and non-disabled patients in three different settings in Ethiopia. Int J Lepr Other Mycobact Dis 1998;66:1-9.
6. Nicholls PG, Croft RP, Richardus JH et al. Delay in presentation, an indicator for nerve function status at registration and for treatment outcome-the experience of the Bangladesh Acute Nerve Damage Study cohort. Lepr Rev 2003;74:349-56.
7. Zhang F, Chen S, Sun Y, Chu T. Healthcare seeking behaviour and delay in diagnosis of leprosy in a low endemic area of China. Lepr Rev 2009;80:416-23.
8. Siddiqui MR, Velidi NR, Pati S, Rath N, Kanungo AK, et al. Integration of Leprosy Elimination into Primary Health Care in Orissa, India.PLoS ONE, Dec 2009;4(12):e8351.
9. Myint T, Thet AT, Htoon MT, Win M. A comparative KAP study of leprosy patients and members of the country in Hlaing and Laung- Lon Townships. Indian J Leprosy 1999;64:313-22.
10. Mutatkar RK. Social Science research on leprosy: a review in: social science research and social action for leprosy control, Sirinivasa H (ed). Indian association of leprologists 1991:98.
11. Raju MS, Kopparty SN. Impact of knowledge of leprosy on the attitude towards leprosy patients: A community study. Ind J Leprosy 1995;67:259-72.
12. Mutatkar RK, Ranade MG. Evaluation of health education in leprosy control program, methodological consideration. South East Asian J Tropical Medicine and Public Health 1986;77:437-41.
13. International Leprosy Association. Report of the Technical Forum. Lepr Rev 2002;73:S58-9.
14. World Health Organization. Expert Committee on Leprosy. Seventh Report, WHO Technical Report Series 847, WHO, Geneva, 1997.
15. Barkataki P, Kumar S and Rao PSS Knowledge of and attitudes to leprosy among patients and community members: a comparative study in Uttar Pradesh, India Lepr Rev 2006;77:62-8.
16. John AS, Rao PSSS. Awareness and attitudes towards leprosy in urban slums of Kolkata, India. Indian J Lepr. 2009;81:135-140.
17. Nisar N, Khan IA, Qadri MH, Shah PGN. Knowledge attitude and practices about leprosy in a fishing community in Karachi Pakistan. Pak J Med Sci. 2007;23(6):936-40.
Copyright (c) 2017 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.