Prosthetic Rehabilitation in a Child with Hereditary Ectodermal Dysplasia
Hereditary ectodermal dysplasia is a disease linked to the X recessive chromosome that affects the development of tissues derived from the ectoderm. The main clinical manifestations include hypohidrosis (inability to sweat), hypotrichosis (sparse hair) and hypodontia (lack teeth). This work presents a clinical case of a 6-year old male child who had been diagnosed with hereditary ectodermal dysplasia. The treatment consisted of the fabrication of a mandibular and maxillary complete denture to improve his esthetic, functional and psychological conditions.
2. More CB, Bhavsar K, Joshi J, Varma SN ,Tailor M. Hereditary ectodermal dysplasia: A retrospective study. J Nat Sci Biol Med 2013;4:445–450.
3. Amorim RFB, Nunez MAG, Sales MAO, Ruiz PA, Medeiros AMC, Freits RA. Hereditary ectodermal dysplasia. Report of 3 cases and review of the literature. Rev ADM 2002;59:67-72.
4. Camargo JDF, Ferreira SLM, Lopes M. Ectodermal dysplasia: esthetic- functional rehabilitation using removable partial prosthesis – case report. RFO UPF 2003;8:11-14.
5. Zou D, Wu Y, Wang XD, Huang W, Zhang Z, Zhang Z. A Retrospective 3- to 5-Year Study of the Reconstruction of Oral Function Using Implant- Supported Prostheses in Patients With Hypohidrotic Ectodermal Dysplasia. J Oral Implantol 2014;40:571-580.
6. Kupietzky A, Houpt M. Hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia: characteristics and treatment. Quintessence Int 199526:285-291.
7. Maia LC, Modesto A. Multidisciplinary treatment in patients with
hereditary ectodermal dysplasia. Revista de Odontopediatria 1995;4:65-
8. Trope BM, Salomao JN, Costa VCT, VillaVerde RB, Barros DS. Do you
know this syndrome? Ectrodactyly syndrome, ectodermal dysplasia and lip-palate cleft: case report with four affected relatives. An Bras Dermatol 2010;85:571-575.
9. Pigno MA, Blackman RB, Cronin RJ Jr, Cavazos E. Prosthodontic management of ectodermal dysplasia: a review of the literature. J Prosthet Dent 1996;76:541-545.
10. Johnson EL, Roberts MW, Guckes AD, Bailey LJ, Phillips CL, Wright JT. Analysis of Craniofacial Development in Children with Hypohidrotic Ectodermal Dysplasia. American Journal of Medical Genetics2002;112:327–334.
11. Güler N, Cildir S, Iseri U, Sandalli N, Dilek O. Hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia with bilateral impacted teeth at the coronoid process: A case rehabilitated with mini dental implants. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2005;99:E34-38.
12. Kramer FJ, Baethge C, Tschernitschek H. Implants in children with ectodermal dysplasia: a case report and literature review. Clin Oral Implants Res 2007;18:140-146.
13. Davarpanah M, Moon JW, Yang LR, Celletti R, Martinez H. Dental implants in the oral rehabilitation of a teenager with hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia: report of a case. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1997;12:252-258.
14. Guckes AD, McCarthy GR, Brahim J. Use of endosseous implants in a 3-year-old child with ectodermal dysplasia: case report and 5-year follow- up. Pediatr Dent 1997;19:282-285.
15. Ladda R, Gangadhar S, Kasat V, Bhandari A. Prosthodontic Management of Hypohidrotic Ectodermal Dysplasia with Anodontia: A Case Report in Pediatric Patient and Review of Literature. Ann Med Health Sci Res 2013;3:277-281, 201.
16. Paulus C, Martin P. Hypodontia due to ectodermal dysplasia: Rehabilitation with very early dental implants. Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac Chir Oral 2013;114:106-112.
17. Bergendal B, Bjerklin K, Bergendal T, Koch G. Dental Implant Therapy for a Child with X-linked Hypohidrotic Ectodermal Dysplasia--Three Decades of Managed Care. Int J Prosthodont 2015;28:348-56.
18. Mello BZF, Silva TC, Rios D, Machado MAAM, Valarelli FP, Oliveira TM. Mini-implants: Alternative for Oral Rehabilitation of a Child with Ectodermal Dysplasia. Braz Dent J 2015;26:75-78.
19. Op Heij DG, Opdebeeck H, van Steenberghe D, Quirynen M. Age as compromising factor for implant insertion. Periodontol 2000;2003:172- 184, 200.
20. Bhatlu MVR, Satyendra T, Ravishankar Y, Kumar S. Dental Implants in Growing Children – A review. Andhra Pradesh State Dental Journal 2016;9:327-331.
21. Mishra S K, Chowdhary N, Chowdhary R. Dental implants in growing children. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2013;2013;31:3-9.
Copyright (c) 2019 Carlos Henrique R Nunes, et al and IABCR
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.