Incidence of Hypothyroidism in Infertile Patients with Menstrual Irregularities
Background: - It is important to estimate in females the level of serum thyroid hormones throughout infertility to avoid its existence later on. The aim in this study, was to estimate thyroid function tests in infertile patients with menstrual irregularities.
Methodology: - This case control study was performed in 90 infertile patients with menstrual irregularities and 50 healthy matched women. Biochemical parameters were measured was serum hormones triiodothyronine (T3), tetraiodothyronine (T4) and serum thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH).
Result: - Serum T3, T4 and TSH level were statistically significant in infertile women. Serum thyroid stimulating hormone level was found at higher side in infertile women.
Conclusion: - This study concludes that, high occurrence of hypothyroidism was found in infertile women and it shows a positive correlation with menstrual disorder.
2. Sharma N and Baliarsingh S: Prevalence of Serum Thyroid Hormones and Menstrual Irregularities with Infertility in Uttar Pradesh, India. Int J Pharm Res Sci. 3(9); 3354-3357.
3. S h arma N1, B ali arsin g h S , K au shi k G G. Bio ch emi cal a ss o ci ation of hyperprolactinemia with hypothyroidism in infertile women. Clin Lab. 2012;58(7-8):805-10.
4. Neha Sharma , Pooja Gandhi , K.L. Mali , Arjun Lal Jain. A case control study of stress and infertility in hypothyroid reproductive age group women residing in Udaipur, Rajasthan, India. International Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Research 2016;3(1):89-99.
5. L.Armada Dias; jj carvalho, MMD Breitenbach CR franci and EG moura: is the fertilityin hypothyroidism mainly due to ovarian or pituitary function changes? Brazillan journal of medical and biological research 2001; 34:1209-1215.
6. Lisa A and Farah MD: infertility, etiology and evaluation. Jacksonville medicine 2000:1-9
7. Raber w, Nowotony p and vytiska Binstorfer E and vier happer H: Thyroxine treatment modified in infertile women according to thyroxine releasing hormone testing: 5 year follw up of 283 women referred after exclusion of absolute causes of infertility. hum. reprod 2003 ; 18 :70 14.
8. Corinee R, fan TZ Samuel Dagogo jack2 jack H Landenson1 and ANN M Glonowski: Thyroid function during pregnancy. Clinical chemistry1999; 45(12):2250-2258.
9. Luca chiovato:Thyroid disorders , infertility and miscarriage. Endocrine abstract 2009; 20: 526-1
10. Poppe k and velkeniers B: Thyroid disorders in infertrile women. Am. Endocrinol (paris) 2003; 64: 45-50.
11. Usha R Sharma and Chandrika Parmar: Thyroid profile in infertile women and menstrual dysfunction. Indian medical Gazette 1998: 1-7.
12. Singh L, Agarwal C.G. Choudhary: Thyroid profile in infertile women. Ind.j. Gynea. & obst. 1990; 37(12):248-253.
13. MenonV.K.and BharochaK.E:Menstrual dysfunction and thyroid disease.India.jou.gynae&obst1995;40521-526.
Copyright (c) 2018 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.