Assessment of Osteoporosis in Men Visiting Orthopaedic OPD in a Tertiary Care Teaching Centre
Background: Osteoporosis is more prevalent in women than men. But Men are also suffered from Osteoporosis. Therefore, this study was conducted to assess the status of Osteoporosis in Men. Quantitative ultrasound (QUS) of bone is a technique for assessing bone microarchitecture in addition to bone mass. Methods: This Retrospective study was done in 160 male patients in the Department of Orthopaedics, Geetanjali Medical college and Hospital, Udaipur.
Results: 160 patients were included in the study on the basis of inclusion and exclusion criteria. As far as age groups considered, 35% (n=56) were between 25-40yrs, 40% (n=64) between 41-60yrs and 25% (n=40) between 61-75 yrs. Commonest presenting symptom in the study population was Backache which was 55% (n=88). 25% (42) presented with generalized bone pain and 20% (33) patients had a history of fracture after trivial trauma. Majority of the osteoporotic patients fell in the age group of 41-60 yrs. Conclusion: Our study revealed that the osteoporosis and osteopenia found to be more common in males in the age group of 40-60 yrs and Quantitative ultrasonography is one of the most effective tools for early detection of osteopenia and osteoporosis.
2. Glu¨ er CC, Cummings SR, Bauer DC, Stone K, Pressman A,Mathur A, et al. Osteoporosis: association of recent fractures with quantitative US findings. Radiology 1996; 199:725–32
3. WHO Study Group. Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for Postmenopausal osteoporosis. WHO Technical Report Series, World Health Organization, 1994; Geneva.
4. Genant HK, Engelke K, Fuerst T, Gluer CC, Grampp S, Harris ST, Jergas M, Lang T, Lu Y, Majumdar S, Mathur A, Takada M. Noninvasive assessment of bone mineral and structure: State of the art. J Bone Miner Res. 1996; 11:707- 730.
5. Kanis JA, McCloskey EV, D de Takats, Pande K. Clinical assessment of Bone Mass, Quality and Architecture. Osteoporos Int. 1999; Suppl.2:S24-S28.
6. Pande KC. Prevalence of low bone mass in healthy Indian population. J Ind Med Assoc. 2002; 1000:598-600. Genant HK. Radiology of Osteoporosis and other Metabolic Bone Diseases. In Favus MJ, editor. Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases. Philadelphia: Lippincot-Raven, Publishers, 1996; 152-163.
7. J-D LIN, MD, J-F CHEN, MD, H-Y CHANG, MD and C HO, MD -Evaluation of bone mineral density by quantitative ultrasound of bone in 16 862 subjects during routine health examination -The British Journal of Radiology, 74 (2001), 602–606 E 2001
8. Gandhi A, Shukla A. Evaluation of BMD of women above 40 years of age. J Obstet Gynaecol India 2005; 55:265-7.
9. Schneider M, Weller A, Vaisman N, Kreitler S. The relationship of depression, anxiety and stress with low bone mineral density in post-menopausal women. Arch Osteoporos. 2002; 7:247–55.
10. Iketani T, Kiriike N, Nakanishi S, Nakasuji T. Effects of weight gain and resumption of menses on reduced bone density in patients with anorexia nervosa. Biol Psychiatry. 1995 Apr 15; 37(8):521-7.
11. Pearce G, Bradney M, Hendrich E. Delmas P.D. Harding A, Seeman E, et al. (1996) Exercise before puberty may confer residual benefits in bone density in adulthood: studies in active prepubertal and retired gymnasts. Journal of Bone Mineral Research 13, 500-507.
12. Michelson D, Stratakis C, Hill L, Reynolds J, Galliven E, Chrousos G, Gold P. Bone mineral density in women with depression. N Engl J Med. 1996 Oct 17; 335(16):1176-81.
13. Duan Y, Turner CH, Kim BT, Seeman E. Sexual dimorphism in vertebral fragility is more the result of gender differences in age related bone gain than bone loss. J Bone Miner Res. 1997; 16:2267–2275.
14. JPS WALIA, A SINGH, AC GUPTA, B SINGH, AK WALIA, D KUMAR -Assessment Of Quantitative Ultrasound Densitometry In 100 Persons With Fractures Due To Osteoporosis-Ind J RadiolImag 2006 16:4:597-601
Copyright (c) 2016 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.