A Prospective Study on Advantages of Laparoscopic Over Open Appendicectomy in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital
Background: Appendix has no known function and is commonly termed as a 'vestigial' organ, yet diseases of the appendix loom large in surgical practice; and therefore, appendicitis continues to be the most common acute abdominal condition that requires immediate surgical treatment.
Methods: This Prospective Study was undertaken for a period of 6 months on patient diagnosed with appendicitis and admitted to surgery ward at Pacific Medical College and Hospital, Udaipur, Rajasthan. Patients were enrolled on the basis of inclusion and exclusion criteria and written inform consent was taken from the patients before the commencement of study.
Results: Proved that laparoscopic procedures cause less post-operative pain than their conventional counterparts. Analgesic requirement for post-operative analgesia was significantly less in LA (mean 4 inj. doses) compared to the OA (mean 6.5 inj. doses). Hospital stay was less for LA (1.55 days) than OA (4.5 days) Full recovery on the basis of return to normal activity was earlier in LA (5.45 days) as compared to OA (9.56 days).
Conclusion: LA holds a promising prospect and may replace OA in the near future as the method of choice for effective and qualitative clinical management of appendicitis in emergency and in elective set up.
2. Srivastav. Randomized clinical trial of laparoscopic versus open appendicectomy. Dissertation carried out at Sir J.J. Hospital and Grant Medical College, 2003.
3. MAINGOT'S Abdominal Operations. 10 th ed., Vol. 2. 1997. p. 1191-92.
4. Bosch PF. Laparoskolspche Sterilization. Schweizerische zeitschrift fur kranken haus and anstait Swensen, 1936.
5. Attwood SE, Hill AD, Murphy PG, Thornton J, Stephens RB. A prospective randomized trial of laparoscopic versus open appendectomy. Surgery 1992;112:497-501.
6. Semm K. Endoscopic appendectomy. Endoscopy 1983;15:59-64.
7. Enochsson L, Hellberg A, Rudberg C, Fenyö G, Gudbjartson T, Kullman E, et al. Laparoscopic vs open appendectomy in overweight patients. Surg Endosc 2001;15:387-92.
8. Kum CK, Ngoi SS, Goh PM, Tekant Y, Isaac JR. Randomized controlled trial comparing laparoscopic and open appendicectomy. Br J Surg 1993;80:1599-600
9. Tarnoff M, Atabek U, Goodman M, Alexander JB, Chrzanowski F, Mortman K, et al. A comparison of laparoscopic and open appendectomy. JSLS 1998;2:153-8.
10. Peiser JG, Greenberg D. Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy: Results of a retrospective comparison in an Israeli hospital. Isr Med Assoc J 2002;4:91-4.