Radiological Diagnosis of Adult Cases Presenting with Symptomatic Lumbar Spondylolisthesis: A Retrospective Study in a Tertiary Care Hospital
Background: The term spondylolisthesis is derived from two Greek word : Spondo (Vertebrate) and disthenein (to slip) .The first written description is given by Herbiniaur, a Belgian obstetneiae. Aim:- To Radiological diagnosis of Symptomatic Lumbar Spondylolisthesis in adults .
Methods: 422 patients each of spondylolisthesis in age group 18 – 60 year were included in this study. This study conducted in department of orthopedics over a period of one year.
Results: In this present study , patients were included who have back ache. 422 (8.3%) were with spondylolisthesis and 4698 (91.7%) cases were without spondylolisthesis. From the 422 patients 24 were male and 174 were female. From the 422 patients with spondylolisthesis, (24.6% ) most of the cases were belong to 46-52 age group in male and 39-45 in case of female.
Conclusion: Both Surgical and conservative management have benefit of cases showing with symptomatic lumbar spondylolisthesis. In most of the cases treat by non-operative.
2. Ganju A. Isthmic spondylolisthesis. Neuorosurg. Focus. 2002;13:1-6.
3. Kuubiere CB. Incidence of symptomatic spondylolisthesis in Northern Ghana. Al Ameen J Med Sci. 2005;8(4):254-8.
4. Gibson JNA. Surgery for degenerative lumbar spondylosis. Spine. 2005;30(20):231-5
5. Metsunaga S. Natural history of degenerative spondylolisthesis. Pathogenesis and natural cause of the slippage. Spine. 1990;15(11):1204-10.
6. Sengupta DK. Degenerative spondylolisthesis; Review of current trends and controversies. Spine.2005;30(6 Suppl):71-81.
7. Ikuta K. Short term results of microendoscopic posterior decompressionfor lumbar spinal stenosis. J Neurosurg Spine. 2005;2(5):624-33.
8. Rahman M. Comparison of techniques for decompressive laminectomy; the minimally invasive versus the classic open approach. Minimally Invasive Neurosurg. 2008;51(2):100-5.
9. Atlas SJ. Long term outcomes of surgical and nonsurgical management of lumbar spinal stenosis. Spine. 2005;30(8):936-43.
10. Lee CK. Lumbar spinal instability after extensive posterior spinal decompression. Spine.
11. Kalichman L. Diagnosis and conservative management of degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis. Eur Spine J. 2008;17:327-35.
12. Rowe GG. The etiology of separate neural arch. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1953;35:102-10.
13. Scott JH. Inheritance and spondylolisthesis: A radiographic family survey. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1979;61:301-5.
14. Sadiq S. Surgical management of spondylolisthesis overview of literature. Neurology India. 2005; 53(4):506-11.
15. Martin CR. The surgical management of degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis: a systematic review. Spine. 2007;32(16):1791-8.
16. Surin V. Degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis, result of operative treatment. Acta Orthop Scand.1982;33(1):79-85.
17. Beutler WJ. Natural history of spondylosis and spondylolisthesis: a 45year follow up evaluation. Spine. 2003;28(10):1027-35.
18. Wiltse LL. Spondylolisthesis: Classification and aetiology. Symposium of the spine. Am Acta Orthop Surg. 1969:143.
19. Grobler LJ. Classification of operative and nonoperative treatment of spondylolisthesis. In: Frymoyer’s The Adult Spine: Principle & Practice. 2nd ed. Philadelphia. Lippincott. 1997:1865-921.
20. Mackay M. Degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis, a prospective randomized study comparing
21. decompressive laminectomy and arthrodesis with and without spinal instrumentation. Spine. 1997;22(24):2807-12.
22. Faldini C. Surgical Treatment of symptomatic degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis by decompression and instrumented fusion. J Orthop Traumatol. 2007;8(3):128-33.
23. Baker D. The natural history of spondylosis and spondylolisthesis. J Bone & Joint Surg Br. 1979;61:301-5.
24. Albanese M. Family study of spondylosis and spondylolisthesis. J Paeditr Orthop. 1982;2:496-9.
25. Hammerberg KW. New concepts on the pathogenesis and classification of spondylolisthesis. Spine. 2005;30(Suppl):4-11.
26. Buck JE. Direct repair of the defect in spondylolisthesis with the modifies Boston brace. J Bone & Joint Surg Br. 1970;52:432-7.983;8(4):429-33.
Copyright (c) 2018 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.