Therapeutic Effect of Suboos-e-Isabgol (Psyllium Husk) (Plantag ovata) & Safoof-e- Belgiri (Aegle marmalos) in the Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Case Series
Background: Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional bowel disorder characterized by abdominal pain or discomfort with altered bowel habits in the absence of any detectable structural abnormalities. These symptoms tend to show relapse & remission. IBS significantly impair quality of life, resulting in high health care cost. All these features plus the adverse effects of conventional treatment makes the patient worrisome. The purpose of the study was to determine the effect of Suboos-e-isabgol & safoof-e-belgiri for treating IBS & to collect data to warrant further clinical trials.
Materials & Methods: A case series was conducted with Ten (10) patients of IBS clinically diagnosed after excluding the possible causes by proper laboratory work-up & confirmed by Rome’s Criteria III. Subsequently patients were treated with Suboos-e-Isapgol & Safoof-e-Belgiri.
Results: Patients of both types of IBS whether, diarrhoea prominent or constipation prominent, were significantly relieved of their abdominal discomfort & altered bowel habits within an average of 3 months treatment.
Conclusion: The preliminary findings indicate that Suboos-e-Isapgol & Safoof-e-Belgiri are effective in Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
2. Norman’S Williams; Bailey & Love short practice of surgery. CRC press Taylor & Francis group Suite 300 Boca Rotan. Edition 2013. Pp-- 1179
3. Churchill Lewingston, Christopher Haslett; Davidson’s principles and practice of medicine. 20th Edition. page no 668-70
4. Mohd Imran; Tanqeehul Mufradat. edn 2008, page no 18,79,24
5. Kabeeruddin; Tarjuma Sharah Asbab edn 1916, page no 247,573,583,596.
6. Kabeerudin; Makhzanul Mufridat; Aijaz publishing house darya gunj new Delhi, page no 155,322,55
7. Saiffudin;Unani advia mufrida, Quami Coucil barae urdu zaban new Delhi page no 28,29,171,65
8. Ghani,N;Khazeenatul Advia, Sheikh Mohd Bashir & Sons Lahore.pp-229-30