Evaluation of Patients Having Ovarian Cysts, Reporting in One Year: An Observational Study
Background: : Since the natural history of simple ovarian cysts is not completely understood, the proper treatment of incidental simple cysts amongst the postmenopausal women has always been uncertain. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the subjects reporting to the hospital with ovarian cysts.
Materials & Methods: The present study was conducted in the prospective manner in the department of Obstetrics& Gynecology, Zanana Hospital, R.B.M. Hospital, Bharatpur, and Rajasthan. Subjects younger than 55 years of age with any other co morbidities were excluded from the study. A predesigned and pre-tested questionnaire was given to all the subjects. Their frequency of visit to the gynecologist was also obtained. All the data was arranged in a tabulated form and analyzed using SPSS software. Results: The study enrolled 160 females with the mean age of 66.53+/- 5.22 years. There were 36.9 %(n=59) subjects between 55-60 years of age. There were 30 %(n=48) subjects between 61-66 years of age. About 90% (n=144) had no such history. History was not known to 1.9% subjects. There were majority of subjects (60%) who had never smoked. Conclusion: In our study, there were majority of subjects between 55-60 years of age. The various aggressive surgical approaches for management of simple cyst have paved a way towards careful monitoring.
2. Nardo LG, Kroon ND, Reginald PW. Persistent unilocular ovarian cysts in a general population of postmenopausal women: Is there a place for expectant management? Obstet Gynecol 2003;102(3):589–593.
3. McDondald JM, Modessit SC. The incidental postmenopausal adnexal mass. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2006;49(3):506–516.
4. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Management of adnexal masses. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 83. Obstet Gynecol 2007;110(1):201–214.
5. Parsons A. Whither the simple ovarian cyst in postmenopausal women? Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2002;20(2):112–116.
6. Borgfeldt C, Andolf E. Transvaginal sonographic ovarian ﬁndings in a random sample of women 25–40 years old.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1999; 13: 345.
7. Hilger WS, Magrina JF, Magtibay PM. Laparoscopic management of the adnexal mass. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2006; 49: 535.
8. Vaughan R, Henderson SC, Rahatzad M, Barry J. Unsuspected adnexal masses in renal transplant recipients. J Urol 1982; 128: 1017.
9. Gaber AO, Kahan BD, Van Buren C, et al. Comparison of sirolimus plus tacrolimus versus sirolimus plus cyclosporine in high-risk renal allograft recipients: results from an open-label, randomized trial. Transplantation 2008; 86: 1187.
10. Erickson GF, Schreiber JR. Morphology and physiology of the ovary. In: Becker KL, ed. Principles and Practice of Endocrinology and Metabolism. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams Wilkins, 2001: 918–934.
11. Kroon E, Andolf E. Diagnosis and follow-up of simple ovarian cysts detected by ultrasound in postmenopausal women. Obstet Gynecol 1995;85(2):211–214.
12. Conway C, Zalud I, Dilena M, et al. Simple Cyst in the Postmenopausal Patient: Detection and Management. J Ultrasound Med 1998;17(6):369–372.
13. Oyelese Y, Kueck AD, Barter JF, Zalud I. Asymptomatic Postmenopausal Simple Ovarian Cyst. Obstet Gynecol Surv 2002;57(12):803–809.
14. Andolf E, Jorrgensen C. Simple adnexal cysts diagnosed by ultrasound in post-menopausal women. J Clin Ultrasound 1988;16(5):301–303.
15. Wolf SI, Gosink BB, Feldesman MR, et al. Prevalence of simple adenxal cysts in postmenopausal women. Radiology 1991;180(1):65–71.
16. Aubert JM, Rombaut C, Argacha P, Romero F, Leira J, Gomez-Bolea F. Simple adnexal cysts in postmenopausal women: conservative management. Maturitas 1998;30(1):51–54.
17. Bailey CL, Ueland FR, Land GL, et al. The malignant potential of small cystic ovarian tumors in women over 50 years of age. Gynecol Oncol 1998;69(1):3–7.
18. Levine D, Gosink BB, Wolf SI, Feldesman MR, Pretorious DH. Simple adnexal cysts: the natural history in postmenopausal women. Radiology 1992;184(3):653–659.
19. Modesitt SC, Pavlik EJ, Ueland FR, DePriest PD, Kryscio RJ, van Nagell JR Jr. Risk of Malignancy in unilocular ovarian cystic tumors less than 10 centimeters in diameter. Obstet Gynecol 2003;102 (3):594–599.
20. Barber HR. Ovarian Cancer: diagnosis and management. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1984;150(8):910– 916.
21. DiSaia, PJ.; Creasman, WT. Clinical Gyencologic Oncology. Fourth Edition. St. Louis, Missouri: Mosby Year Book; 1993.
22. Myers, ER.; Bastian, LA.; Havrilesky, LJ., et al. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 130 (Prepared by the Duke Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290–02–0025.) AHRQ Publication No. 06-E004. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2006 Feb.