Comparison of Spinal Anaesthesia Vs General Anaesthesia for Lower Spinal Surgeries
Background: Both General and Regional anaesthesia can be used for lower Lumbar Disc surgery but SPINAL ANAESTHESIA is also a better alternative as it is accompanies by less blood loss and haemodynamics instability. Materials & Methods: 60 patients were randomly assigned to receive either General Anaesthesia( GA group) or Spinal Anaesthesia(SA group). Patients were supplemented with i.v. Propofol sedation in Spinal anaesthesia group. The values were recorded preoperative, intraoperative & postoperative. HR, MAP, amount of blood less, surgeon Satisfaction were noted. The severity of nausea, vomiting, duration of recovery and total analgesic use was also recorded. Results: Total anaesthesia, surgical time and blood loss is less in spinal anaesthesia group as compared to general Anaesthesia group. Intraoperative hypertension and tachycardia is more in GA group. Surgeon satisfaction and cost effectiveness is more in SA group. Postoperative nausea ,vomiting is more in GA group.
Conclusion: Spinal anaesthesia is better ,safe and economical alternative to general anaesthesia for lower spinal surgery
2. Baclofen JE Schauble JR Hemodynamic changes with prone positioning during general anaesthesia Anaesth Analg 1985; 64: 1942007; 16:5-11
3. Jellish WS, Shea JF; spinal anaesthesia for spinal surgery. Best prct Res Clin Anaesthesiol 17:323-334,2003.
4. Scott NB,Kehlet H.Regional anaesthesia and surgical morbidity.Br J Surg1988;75:299-304.
5. Enlund M, Lambert H, Wiklund L. The sevoflurane saving capacity of a new anaesthetic agent conserving device compared with a low flow circle system. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2002;46:506–11.
6. Thorburn J, Louder JR, Vallance R. Spinal and General anaesthesia in totoal hip replacement: Frequency of Deep vein thrombosis. Br J Anaesth 1980;52:1117-21
7. Davis FM, McDermott E, Hickton C et al. Influence of spinal and general anaesthesia on haemostasis during total hip arthroplasty. Br J Anaesth 1987;59:561-71
8. Cook PT, Davies MJ, Cronin KT, Moran D. A prospective randomized trial comparing spinal anaesthesia using hypobaric cincochane with general aanaesthesia for lower limb vascular surgery Anaesth Intensive care 1986;14:373-80
9. Anderson JM.The prone position for surgical patient: a historical review of principles and hazards .Br J Anaesth 1991; 67: 452-3.
10. Kehlet H. The stress hormone to anaesthesia and surgery: release mechanism and modifying factors.Clin Anaesth 1984;2:315-39.
11. Davis FM.Laurenson VG,Lewis J et al .Metabolic response to total hip arthroplasty under hypobaric subarachnoid or general anaesthesia.Br J Anaesth 1987;59:725-9.
12. PflugAE.Holter JB. Effect of spinal anaesthesia or adrenergic tone and neuroendocrine response to surgical stress in humans.Anaesthesiology 1981 ;55:725-9
13. Tetzlaff JE, Dilger JA, Kodsy M, al-Bataineh J, Yoon HJ, Bell GR. Spinal anesthesia for elective lumbar spine surgery. J Clin Anesth 10:666-669,1998
14. Tzovaras G, Fafoulakis F, Patras K. Georgoupoulou S Stamatlou G Hatzltheofilou C; spinal vs general anaesthesia for laparoscopic cholecystectomy; inmterim study of controlled randomized trial. Arcg surg143;497-501,2008.
15. Riding JE; minor complication of general anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 47:91-101,1975
16. Covino BG: Rationale for spinal anesthesia. Int Anesthesiol Clin 27:8-12, 1989
17. Rassias AJ, Procopio MA: Stress response and optimization ofperioperative care. Dis Mon 49:522-554, 2003
18. Becq MC, Verdin M, Riegel B, Fesard P, Moinardeau V,Delehaye B, Adnet P, Krivosic-Horber R: Hemodynamic effects of genu-pectoral position during the surgery of lumbar disk herniation: Spinal anesthesia versus general anesthesia.Agressologie 1:49-50, 1994
19. Hassi N, Badaoui R, Cagny-Bellet A, Sifeddine S, Ossart M: Spinal anesthesia for disc herniation and lumbar laminectomy .Apropos of 77 cases. Cah Anesthesiol 43:221-225,1995
Schuster M, Gottschalk A, Berger J, Standl T: A retrospective comparison of costs for regional and general anaesthesia techniques. Anesth Analg 100:786-794, 2005