Visual Outcome After Cataract Extraction in Open Globe Injury
Background: Penetrating ocular trauma is a well-known cause of visual impairment in young adults and children. Cataract is the commonest complication following ocular injury.
Aims: The findings of the present study are expected to help in appropriate management of traumatic cataract cases.
Materials & Methods: This is a prospective study of 5yrs in patients of penetrating ocular trauma. Detailed history and full ophthalmic evaluation of patients was done. Most patients were operated 15 days after trauma, so inflammation gets settled. Self-sealing 2.8mm incision was made and capsulorhexis was tried and cortical aspiration was done. Children less than 12 yrs posterior capsulorhexis and anterior vitrectomy was done. If posterior capsule is torn, we tried to convert the tear in posterior capsulorhexis and anterior vitrectomy was done. Three piece and single piece lens were implanted depending upon status of capsular bag. Statistical analysis used: SSPE software
Results: Males(63.9%) and 11-30 yrs(46.1%) age group constitute majority. Common causes of injury in children(<10years), young (11-30years) and adult (31-50 years) were wooden stick (40%), thorn(44%) and iron flying object and knife/sharp instruments(42.5%) used in household respectively. Anterior capsulorhexis was done in 15% of patient and posterior chamber lens were implanted in 97% of patients. The visual acuity at presentation was ‘the perception of light to 3mfc ' in 80.0% of cases while after surgery, it was found that 82.0% of patients had regained useful vision. Conclusion: ocular trauma, penetrating injury, traumatic cataract.
2. Fong LP. Eye injuries in Victoria, Australia. Med J. 1995; 162:64-8.
3. Kushwaha RN, Rastogi R, Gupta RC, Gupta P, Kumar S. Profile of ocular trauma in tertiary care center.Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2013; 2:27.
4. Khurana AK. Comprehensive ophthalmology. 4thed.New age international (P) Ltd., Publishers. 2007, pp-418.
5. Jagannath APC, Reddy PASC,SwethaM,RaviprabhuG.Etiology of traumatic cataract in a tertiary care hospital,Tirupati.J of Evidence Based Med &Hlthcare. 2015; 2:5732-37.
6. Khatry SK, Lewis AE, Schein OD, Thapa MD, Pradhan EK, Katz J, et al.The epidemiology of ocular trauma in rural Nepal. Br J Ophthalmol. 2004;88:456-60.
7. Gogate P, Sahasrabudhe M, Shah M, Patil S, Kulkarni A. Causes, epidemiology and long term outcome of traumatic cataracts in children in rural India. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2012; 60: 481-6.
8. Eckstein M, Vijayalakshmi P, Killedar M, Gilbert C, Foster A. Aetiology of childhood cataract in south India. Br J Ophthalmol. 1996;80:628–32.
9. Reddy AK, Ray R, Yen YG. Surgical intervention of traumatic cataracts in children: Epidemiology, complications and outcomes. J AAPOS. 2009;13:170–4.
10. Thakur J, Reddy H, Wilson ME, Jr.Paudyal G, Gurung R, Thapa S, et al. Pediatric cataract surgery in Nepal. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2004;30:1629–35.
11. Wos M, Mirkiewicz-Sieradzka B. Traumatic cataract-treatment results. KlinOczna. 2004;106:31–4.
12. Baklouti K, Mhiri N, Mghaieth F, El Matri L. Traumatic cataract: Clinical and therapeutic aspects. Bull SocBelgeOphtalmol. 2005;298:13-7.
13. Jagannath C, Penchalaiah T, Swetha M, Prabhu GR. Visual outcome of traumatic cataract in a tertiary care hospital, Tirupati. IAIM.2015; 2(9): 111-115.
14. Zhang Y, Zhang MN, Jiang CH, Yao Y, Zhang K. Endophthalmitis following open globe injury. Br J Ophthalmol. 2010;94 (1):111–114.
15. Krishnamachari M, Rati V, Gupta J. Management of traumatic cataract in children. Jr. of Cat & Ref surg. 1997; 23(1): 681-7.
16. Srinivasan R Kumadhan et al. Traumatic cataract-factors affecting visual outcome. Jr.of TNOA,XXXVII (1): 45-48.
17. Shah M, Shah S, Shah S, Prasad V, Parikh A. Visual recovery and predictors of visual prognosis after managing traumatic cataracts in 555 patients. Ind J Ophthalmol.2011;59:217–22.
18. Gradin D, Yorston D. Intraocular lens implantation for traumatic cataract in children in East Africa. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2001;27:2017-25.
19. Loncar VL, Petric I. Surgical treatment, clinical outcomes, and complications of traumatic cataract: Retrospective study. Croat Med J. 2004;45:310-3.
20. Blum M, Tetz MR, Greiner C, Voelcker HE. Treatment of traumatic cataracts. J Cataract Refract Surg. 1996; 22(3):342-6.
21. Ram J, Gupta N, Sukhija JS, Chaudhary M, Verma N, Kumar S, Severia S.Outcome of cataract surgery with primary intraocular lens implantation in children.Br J Ophthalmol. 2011 Aug;95(8):1086-90.