Roflumilast therapy in COPD − Update and Trials
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) represents an important public health challenge that is both preventable and treatable. Pharmacological treatment regimen for COPD needs to be patient specific. Hence management of COPD should be based on strategy considering both disease impact and future risk of disease progression ( especially of exacerbation ). Risk of exacerbations significantly increases in GOLD 3 and GOLD 4 COPD. Exacerbations increase the decline in lung function , deteorriation in health status and risk of death.
Roflumilast is a phosphodiesterase-4 (PDE4) inhibitor. It reduces risk of moderate to severe exacerbations in patients of GOLD 3 & GOLD 4 COPD. It has no direct bronchodilator activity, although it has been shown to improve FEV1 in patients treated with inhaled long-acting bronchodilator. Adverse effects may occur early during the treatment but these are reversible and diminish overtime with continued treatment .
2. Roflumilast product information. European Medicines Agency [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2014 Nov 29]. Available from: http://www.ema.europa.eu.
3. Hanania NA, Calverley PM, Dransfield MT, et al. Pooled subpopulation analyses of the effect of Roflumilast on exacerbation and lung function in COPD. Respir Med. 2014; 108(2): 366-75.
4. Rennard SI, Sun SX, Tourkodimitris S, et al. Roflumilast and dyspnea in patient with moderate to very severe COPD: A pooled analysis of four clinical trials. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2014; 9: 657-73.
5. Chong J, Leung B, Poole P. Phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitors for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease .Conchrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Nov 4; 11: CD002309.
6. Sinopal’nikov AI. Novel trends in pharmacotherapy of COPD- prevention of exacerbation (focus on Roflumilast).
[Article in Russian]. Klin Med (Mosk). 2014; 92(2): 57-64.
7. Lipari M, Benipal H, Kale-Pardhan P. Roflumilast in the management of COPD. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2013; 70 (23): 2087-95.
8. Yan JH, Gu WJ, Pan L. Efficacy and safety of Roflumilast in patients with stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease : A meta-analysis. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2014; 27(1): 83-9.
9. Zheng J, Yang J, Zhou X, et al. Roflumilast for the treatment of COPD in an Asian population: A randomized, double-blind, parallel-group study. Chest 2014; 145(1): 44-52.
Copyright (c) 2015 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.