Study on Association Between Hyperuricemia and Albuminuria in Patients with Type II Diabetes Mellitus
Background: Hyperuricemia and albuminuria is very common among the patients of type II diabetes mellitus. The casual association between hyperuricemia and type II diabetes may be mediated by kidney dysfunction as well as insulin resistance. The objective of the study is to find association between serum uric acid level and albuminuria level in type II diabetic patient. Methods: 60 diabetic patients were taken having both serum uric acid level and albuminuria level increased considerably. Incidence of hyperuricemia and albuminuria were compared taking into association the age, sex, BMI, FBS, HbA1C, serum lipid profile, urinary ACR of the patients. Results: Hyperuricemia was associated with the greater probability of albuminuria in patients with type II diabetes mellitus. Conclusions: Serum uric acid and albuminuria is prevalent among patients of type II Diabetes mellitus, hence strict control of blood glucose level will significantly reduce the level of uric acid and albuminuria preventing further related micro and macrovascular complications of diabetes.
2. Watkins PJ.ABC of Diabetes 5th edition Condem (UK): BMJ Publishing group limited: 2003
3. International diabetes federation (IDF). Diabetes atlas 6th edition 2014 update. International diabetes federation Brussels, Belgium; international diabetes federation 2014
4. Use of Glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) in the diagnosis of DM: http://www.who.int/diabetes/publication/report-HbA1c2011.pdf
5. Hochberg et al. 2003 Rheumatology 3rd Edition, Mosby, New York.
6. Cirillo P, Sato W, Reungjui S, et al. Uric acid, the metabolic syndrome, and renal disease. J Am SocNephrol. 2006;17:S165-8.
7. Tseng CH. Correlation of uric acid and urinary albumin excretion rate in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Taiwan. Kidney Int. 2005;68:796-801.
8. JOHNSON RJ, KANG DH, FEIG D, et al: Is there a pathogenetic role for uric acid in hypertension and cardiovascular and renal disease? Hypertension 41:1183-1190, 2003
9. Saggiani F, Pilati S, Targher G, Branzi P, Muggeo M, Bonora E. Serum uric acid and related factors in 500 hospitalized subjects. Metabolism. 1996;45:1557-61.
10. Fukui M, Tanaka M, Shiraishi E, et al. Serum uric acid is associated with microalbuminuria and subclinical atherosclerosis in men with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism. 2008;57:625-9.
11. Tseng CH. Correlation of uric acid and urinary albumin excretion rate in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Taiwan. Kidney Int. 2005;68:796-801.
12. Bo S, Cavallo-Perin P, Gentile L, Repetti E, Pagano G. Hypouricemia and hyperuricemia in type 2 diabetes: two different phenotypes. Eur J Clin Invest. 2001;31:318-21.