Complete Resolution of Bilateral Pulmonary Hydatid Cysts with Prolonged Administration of Albendazole: A Rare Occurrence
Hydatid disease is a zoonotic disease caused by Echinococcus species. Echinococcus granulosus is the most common species which is responsible for hydatid disease in the humans who act as accidental intermediate hosts in the life cycle of the parasite. Pre-operative albendazole therapy followed by surgery is the mainstay of treatment for pulmonary and hepatic hydatid cyst at present. Not much data is available to support the sole use of albendazole for complete cure apart from its usage for those patients who have refused surgery or cannot undergo surgery because of any reason. We hereby report the case of a 12 year old female patient who was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary hydatid cysts that responded well to Albendazole 15mg/kg /day given for a period of nine months with a drug free interval of one week every month. There was complete clinical and radiological resolution of hydatid cyst after the treatment. There has been no recurrence on follow-up of one year.
2. Fraser RS, Muller NL, Coleman N, Pare PD. Protozoa, Helminths, Arthopods and Leeches. In: Fraser and Pare’s Diagnosis of diseases of the chest. 4th ed. WB Saunders Philadelphia. 1999; 1033-66.
3. Siddiqui B, Faridi SH, Arif SH, Aslam M. Primary hydatid disease of the breast clinically masquerading as a galactocele: A case report. J Transl Intern Med 2015; 3:82-84.
4. Santivanez S, Garcici HH. Pulmonary cystic echinococcosis. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2010; 16:257-61.
5. Gómez R, Moreno E, Loinaz C, De la Calle A, Castellon C, Manzanera M, et al. Diaphragmatic or transdiaphragmatic thoracic involvement in hepatic hydatid disease: surgical trends and classification. World J Surg 1995; 19:714-9.
6. Morar R, Feldman C. Pulmonary echinococcosis. Eur Respir J. 2003; 21:1069-77.
7. Fatimi SH, Sajjad N, Hanif HM, Muzaffar M. Ruptured hydatid cyst presenting as pneumothorax. J Infect Dev Ctries 2010; 4:256-258.
8. Pedrosa I, Saíz A, Arrazola J, Ferreirós J, Pedrosa CS. Hydatid disease: radiologic and pathologic features and complications. Radiographics. 2000; 20:795-817.
9. Singh U, Kumar S, Gour H, Singh N, Ramaraj M, Mittal V et al. Complicated Hydatid Cyst and “Air Bubble” Sign: A Stepping-Stone to Correct Diagnosis. The American Journal of Case Reports. 2015; 16:20-24.
10. Ghoshal AG, Sarkar S, Saha K, Sarkar U, Kundu S, Chatterjee S et al. Hydatid lung disease: an analysis of five years cumulative data from Kolkata. J Assoc Physicians India. 2012; 60:12-6.
11. Mohamed AE, Yasawy MI, Al KarawiMA.Combined albendazole and praziquantel versus albendazole alone in the treatment of hydatid disease. Hepatogastroenterology. 1998; 45:1690-4.
12. Rai, SP, Panda BN, Ganguly D, Bharadwaj R. Pulmonary hydatid: Diagnosis and response to hypertonic saline irrigation and albendazole. Medical Journal Armed Forces India 2005;61: 9-12.
Copyright (c) 2016 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.