A Rare Case of Primary Peritoneal Psammocarcinoma Presenting as Acute Intestinal Obstruction and Ascites
We report a rare case of primary peritoneal psammocarcinoma (PPP) in a 60year old female patient who presented to surgical emergency with complaints of inability to pass feces and flatus for last 3 days along with pain and distension of abdomen. On clinical examination there were features of acute intestinal obstruction. Contrast CT of abdomen was suggestive of intestinal obstruction along with a stricture at the recto-sigmoid junction. On exploration there was a growth compressing the recto-sigmoid junction from the serosal surface. Anterior resection of the recto-sigmoid was done with negative gross margins. Histopathological examination of the resected specimen led to a diagnosis of primary peritoneal psammocarcinoma because of a solitary peritoneal lesion having abundant psammoma body formation and normal ovaries visualized on radiology and per-operatively. The diagnosis was further confirmed by histochemical tests and immunohistochemistry along with normal CA-125 levels in the patient.
Peritoneum with complete response to tamoxifen therapy. GynecolOncol 1998; 68: 206-209.
2. Whitcomb BP, Kost ER, Hines JF, Zahn CM, Hall KL. Primary peritoneal psammocarcinoma: A case presenting with an upper abdominal mass and elevated CA-125. Gynecol Oncol. 1999;73:331-4.
3. Singh V, Srinivas V, Dutta V, Kapoor K. Primary peritoneal serous psammocarcinoma: A rare case. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2013; 56:324-5.
4. Akbulut M, Kelten C, Bir F, Soysal ME, Duzcan SE. Primary peritoneal serous psammocarcinoma with recurrent disease and metastasis: a case report and review of the literature.Gynecol Oncol. 2007; 105:248-51.
5. Asotra S, Gupta S, Gupta N. Primary psammocarcinoma of peritoneum,Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2009 ;52:280-1.
6. Togănel RD, Şimon I, Zolog A, Simescu R, Cozma A, Muntean V. Primary Peritoneal Serous Psammocarcinoma: a Case Report.J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2015 Jun;24(2):253-6.
7.Gilks CB, Bell DA, Scully RE. Serous psammocarcinoma of the ovary and peritoneum.Int J Gynecol Pathol. 1990; 9:110-21.
8. Zhen-Zhong D, Zheng N, Liu H, Liao DY, Ye XQ, Zhou QM et al. Elevated CA125 in primary peritoneal serous psammocarcinoma: a case report and review of the literature. BMJ Case Rep. 2009;2009. pii: bcr10.2008.1063
9. Chen KT. Psammocarcinoma of the peritoneum. Diagn Cytopathol 1994; 10: 224–8.
10.Alanbay I, Dede M, Ustun Y, Karaşahin E, Deveci S, Günhan O et al. Serous psammocarcinoma of theovary and peritoneum: two case report and review of the literature. ArchGynecol Obstet 2009; 279: 931-936.
11.Piura B, Rabinovich A, Yanai-Inbar I. Psammomacarcinoma of the peritoneum. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2001; 97: 231–4.
12. Imai YT, Murayama H, Arima S. Heterotopic ossification andpsammomatous calcification in gastric carcinoma. Case report andreview of the literature. Acta Pathol Jpn 1979; 29: 975-984.
13. Sieben NL, Macropoulos P, Roemen GM, et al. In ovarian neoplasms,BRAF, but not KRAS, mutations are restricted to low-grade seroustumours. J Pathol 2004; 202: 336-340.
14. Yang R, Xu T, Fu Y, Cui S, Yang S, Cui M. Leiomyomatosis peritonealis disseminate associated with endometriosis: A case report and review of the literature. Oncol Lett 2015; 9: 717-720
Copyright (c) 2016 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.