Flibanserin- A Novel drug for Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder
Low sexual desire is a very common symptom in women of any age with potential negative consequences on quality of life and well-being according to The American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic, Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV TR) and the World Health Organization’s International Classifications of Disease. They also established that the definition of hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD) should include not only the lack or absence of sexual fantasies or desire for any form of sexual activity, but also the presence of personal distress and/or interpersonal difficulties. Flibanserin, a novel, non-hormonal, multifunctional serotonin agonist antagonist (MSAA) was used in most of the pre-menopausal women diagnosed with Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD) but its approval also faced a little scepticism.
2. American Psychiatric Association. Sexual and gender identity disorders. In: American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000:493–538
3. Meixel A, Yanchar E, Fugh-Berman A .Hypoactive sexual desire disorder: inventing a disease to sell low libido. J Med Ethics. 2015 Jun 29
4. Borsini F, Evans K, Jason K, Rohde F, Alexander B, Pollentier S. Pharmacology of flibanserin. CNS Drug Reviews 2002 ; 8(2): 117–142
5. Bob Roehr. FDA committee recommends approval for “female Viagra” BMJ 2015;350 (Published 5 June 2015)
6. Moynihan R. Evening the score on sex drugs: feminist movement or marketing masquerade? BMJ 2014;349:g6246
7. Nappi RE. Why are there no FDA-approved treatments for female sexual dysfunction? Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2015 Aug;16(12):1735-8
8. FDA briefing document. Joint Meeting of the Bone, Reproductive and Urologic Drugs Advisory Committee (BRUDAC) and Drug Safety and Risk Managemnet (DSaRM), June 4 2015 [last assessed on 2015 september 10].Available from http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/DrugSafetyandRiskManagementAdvisoryCommittee/UCM449088.pdf
9. Stahl SM, Sommer B, Allers KA. Multifunctional pharmacology of flibanserin: possible mechanism of therapeutic action in hypoactive sexual desire disorder. J Sex Med. 2011; 8(1): 15–27
10. Woodard TL, Nowak NT, Balon R, Tancer M, Diamond MP. Brain activation patterns in women with acquired hypoactive sexual desire disorder and women with normal sexual function: a cross sectional pilot study. Fertil Steril. 2013; 100(4): 1068–1076.
11. Laumann EO, Paik A, Rosen RC. Sexual dysfunction in the United States: prevalence and predictors. JAMA. 1999;281(6):537–544.
12. Lindau ST, Schumm LP, Laumann EO, Levinson W, O’Muircheartaigh CA, Waite LJ. A study of sexuality among older adults in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(8):762–774.
13. Shifren JL, Monz BU, Russo PA, Segreti A, Johannes CB. Sexual problems and distress in United States women: prevalence and correlates. Obstet Gynecol. 2008;112(5):970–978.
14. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed. – Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR). Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.
15. World Health Organization. International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems. 10th revision. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1992.
16. Basson R, Berman J, Burnett A, et al. Report on the International Consensus Development Conference on female sexual dysfunction: definition and classification. J Urol. 2000;163(3):888–893.
17. Basson R, Leiblum S, Brotto L, et al. Revised definitions of women’s sexual dysfunction. J Sex Med. 2004;1(1):24–39.
18. Dennerstein L, Koochaki P, Barton I, Graziottin A. Hypoactive sexual desire disorder in menopausal women: a survey of western European women. J Sex Med. 2006;3(2):212–222.
19. Leiblum S, Koochaki P, Rodenberg C, Barton I, Rosen RC. Hypoactive sexual desire disorder in postmenopausal women: US results from the Women’s International Study of Health and Sexuality (WISHeS). Menopause. 2006;13(1):46–56.
20. Meston CM, Frohlich PF. The neurobiology of sexual function. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000;57(11):1012–1030.
21. Arnow BA, Millheiser L, Garrett A, et al. Women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder compared to normal females: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study. Neuroscience. 2009; 158(2):484–502.
22. Levine SB. The nature of sexual desire: a clinician’s perspective. Arch Sexual Behav. 2003;32(3):279–285.
23. Nappi R, Salonia A, Traish AM, et al. Clinical biologic pathophysiologies of women’s sexual dysfunction. J Sex Med. 2005;2(1):4–25.
24. Katz M1, DeRogatis LR, Ackerman R, Hedges P, Lesko L, Garcia M Jr, Sand M; BEGONIA trial investigators. Efficacy of flibanserin in women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder: results from the BEGONIA trial. J Sex Med. 2013 Jul;10(7):1807-15.
25. Goldfischer ER1, Breaux J, Katz M, Kaufman J, Smith WB, Kimura T, Sand M, Pyke R. Continued efficacy and safety of flibanserin in premenopausal women with Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD): results from a randomized withdrawal trial.
26. Derogatis LR1, Komer L, Katz M, Moreau M, Kimura T, Garcia M Jr, Wunderlich G, Pyke R; VIOLET Trial Investigators. Treatment of hypoactive sexual desire disorder in premenopausal women: efficacy offlibanserin in the VIOLET Study. J Sex Med. 2012 Apr;9(4):1074-85
27. Thorp J1, Simon J, Dattani D, Taylor L, Kimura T, Garcia M Jr, Lesko L, Pyke R; DAISY trial investigators Treatment of hypoactive sexual desire disorder in premenopausal women: efficacy of flibanserin in the DAISY study. J Sex Med. 2012 Mar;9(3):793-804
28. Reviriego C . Flibanserin for female sexual dysfunction. Drugs Today (Barc). 2014 Aug;50(8):549-56.
29. Jayne C1, Simon JA, Taylor LV, Kimura T, Lesko LM; SUNFLOWER study investigators. Open-label extension study of flibanserin in women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder. J Sex Med. 2012 Dec;9(12):3180-8
30. [last assessed on 2015 August 30]. Available from http://www.drugs.com/history/addyi.html
31. Simon JA1, Kingsberg SA, Shumel B, Hanes V, Garcia M Jr, Sand M. Efficacy and safety of flibanserin in postmenopausal women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder: results of the SNOWDROP trial.
32. Jeanne Lenzer. Boehringer Ingelheim withdraws libido drug for women. BMJ 2010;341-342