A Rare Case of a Dermoid Cyst of Parotid Gland
Dermoid cysts are benign lesions containing tissues of ectodermal and mesodermal germ layers. The incidence of dermoid cyst in head and neck region is only 7% while in parotid gland only 18 cases have been reported in the literature. An 18-year-old male presented with a slow growing, painless and soft swelling in the right pre-auricular region. According to the patient, he had this swelling since birth. Ultrasonography was suggestive of a 3X3 cm cystic lesion within the right parotid gland. Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) showed predominantly anucleate squames and keratinous debris indicating towards the possibility of a dermoid cyst of parotid. The lesion was surgically excised with superficial parotidectomy, preserving the facial nerve. Histopathology confirmed the diagnosis. Post-operative period was uneventful and patient recovered well. Owing to the rarity of dermoid cysts in the head and neck region and more so within the parotid gland, this case is being reported here.
2. Shakeel M, Keh SM, Chapman A, Hussain A. Intra-parotid dermoid cyst: excision through a face lift incision. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2014 Nov;24 Suppl 3:S238-9.
3. Aynehchi B, Newman JG, Brooks JS. Dermoid cyst of the parotid gland. Ear Nose Throat J. 2010; 89:E4-6.
4. Trandafir V, Trandafir D, Ferariu D, Boişteanu O, Haba D. Dermoid cyst of the parotid gland. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2011; 115:572-8.
5. Tas A, Yagiz R, Altaner S, Karasalihoğlu AR. Dermoid cyst of the parotid gland: first pediatric case. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2010; 74:216-7.
6. Ganesan A, Nandakumar GK. Epidermal cyst of parotid gland: a rarity and a diagnostic dilemma. Case Rep Dent. 2015; 2015:856170. Epub 2015 Jan 6.
7. New GB, Erich JB. Dermoid cysts of the head and neck. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1937; 65:48.
8. Naujoks C, Handschel J, Braunstein S, Emaetig F, Depprich R, Meyer U et al. Dermoid cyst of the parotid gland--a case report and brief review of the literature. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 36:861-3.