Laparoscopic Versus Open Appendicectomy - A Prospective Study in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital, Saharsa
Background: This underdeveloped residuum of the caecum has no known function and is commonly termed as a 'vestigial' organ, yet diseases of the appendix loom large in surgical practice; and appendicitis continues to be the most common acute abdominal condition that requires immediate surgical treatment. Methods: Study to be carried out over a period of 1 year on patient diagnosed with appendicitis and admitted to surgery ward at Teerthanker Mahaveer Medical College and Research Centre. Patients were enrolled on the basis of inclusion and exclusion criteria and written inform consent was taken from the patients before the commencement of study. Demographic data, clinical features, investigations, Technique, reintroduction of diet, postoperative pain, use of analgesia, hospital stay were documented and outcome recorded in a predesigned case record form. Results: Proved that laparoscopic procedures cause less post-operative pain than their conventional counterparts. Analgesic requirement for post-operative analgesia was significantly less in LA (mean 4 inj. doses) compared to the OA (mean 5.9 inj. doses) Hospital stay was less for LA (2.23 days) than OA (3.4 days) Full recovery on the basis of return to normal activity was earlier in LA (6.53 days) as compared to OA (8.7 days). Conclusion: LA holds a promising prospect and may replace OA in the near future as the method of choice for effective and qualitative clinical management of appendicitis in emergency and in elective set up.
2. Srivastav. Randomized clinical trial of laparoscopic versus open appendicectomy. Dissertation carried out at Sir J.J. Hospital and Grant Medical College, 2003.
3. MAINGOT'S Abdominal Operations. 10 th ed., Vol. 2. 1997. p. 1191-92.
4. Bosch PF. Laparoskolspche Sterilization. Schweizerische zeitschrift fur kranken haus and anstait Swensen, 1936.
5. Attwood SE, Hill AD, Murphy PG, Thornton J, Stephens RB. A prospective randomized trial of laparoscopic versus open appendectomy. Surgery 1992;112:497-501.
6. Semm K. Endoscopic appendectomy. Endoscopy 1983;15:59-64.
7. Schreiber JH. Early experience with laparoscopic appendectomy in women. Surg Endosc 1987;1:211-6.
8. The New AIRD'S Companion in surgical studies. 4 th ed. 2011.
9. Braunwald E. Harrisson'S Principle of Internal Medicine. 18 th ed. 2012.
10. Mc Burney C. Experience with early operative interference in cases of disease of the vermiform appendix. N Y Med J 1889;50:676.
11. Cox MR, McCall JL, Toouli J, Padbury RT, Wilson TG, Wattchow DA, et al. Prospective randomized comparison of open versus laparoscopic appendectomy in men. World J Surg 1996;20:263-6.
12. Frazee RC, Robert JW, Symmonds RE. Open versus Laparoscopic appendicectomy. Ann Surg 1994;219:715-28.
13. Salky BA. Palanivelu's Text Book of Surgical Laparoscopy, 2005. 13
14. Zollikofger R. Zur Laparoscopic Schweitz Med Wschr, 1924.
15. Wallbridge PH. Double appendix. Br J Surg 1962;50:3
16. Bailey H, Williams NS. Bailey & Love's Short Practice of Surgery. 25 th ed. A Hodder Arnold Publication; 2011.
17. Gaskin TA, Isobe JH, Mathews JL, Winchester SB, Smith RJ. Laparoscopy and the general surgeon. Surg Clin North Am 1991;71:1085-97. [PUBMED]
18. Hellberg A, Rudbery C. Prospective randomized multi centric trial study of laparoscopic versus open appendicectomy. BJS 1999;86:53-84.
19. Huang MT, Wei PL, Wu CC, Lai IR, Chen RJ, Lee WJ. Needlescopic, laparoscopic, and open appendectomy: A comparative study. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2001;11:306-12.
20. Khalili TM, Hiatt JR, Savar A, Lau C, Margulies DR. Perforated appendicitis is not a contraindication to laparoscopy. Am Surg 1999;65:965-7
21. Pedersen AG, Petersen OB, Wara P, Rønning H, Qvist N, Laurberg S. Randomized clinical trial of laparoscopic versus open appendicectomy. Br J Surg 2001;88:200-5.
22. Enochsson L, Hellberg A, Rudberg C, Fenyö G, Gudbjartson T, Kullman E, et al. Laparoscopic vs open appendectomy in overweight patients. Surg Endosc 2001;15:387-92.
23. Kum CK, Ngoi SS, Goh PM, Tekant Y, Isaac JR. Randomized controlled trial comparing laparoscopic and open appendicectomy. Br J Surg 1993;80:1599-600
24. Tarnoff M, Atabek U, Goodman M, Alexander JB, Chrzanowski F, Mortman K, et al. A comparison of laparoscopic and open appendectomy. JSLS 1998;2:153-8.
25. Peiser JG, Greenberg D. Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy: Results of a retrospective comparison in an Israeli hospital. Isr Med Assoc J 2002;4:91-4.
Copyright (c) 2016 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.