Incidence of Surgical site infections in IPD Orthopedics patients undergoing implant surgery
Background: Prevalence of Surgical site infections (SSI) in orthopedic implant surgery is ranges from 1 to 22%. It leads to increase case cost, prolongs antibiotic use/abuse, increases morbidity and rehabilitation.
Methods: This prospective study was conducted on 130 patients with closed fracture cases undergoing clean and elective orthopedic implant surgeries admitted in the department of Orthopedics at Govt. Medical College, Nagpur, India between october-2016 to march-2017. Results: The surgical site infection was diagnosed in 11 (4.435%) patients within 3 months after surgery. Staphylococcus aureus was most common infective organism isolated in 54.54% cases. On data analysis SSI was significantly associated with increasing age, diabetes mellitus, smoking and anemia. Conclusions: Incidence of SSI in implants surgeries are quite high, proper measure are needed to control it.
2. Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention. The National Healthcare Safety Network Manual - NHSN. Pacient Safety Component Protocol. Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion National Center for Preparedness, Detection and Control of Infectious Diseases Atlanta, GA, USA, 2009, 225.
3. National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) System Report, data summary from January 1992 through June 2004, Am J Infect Control. 2004; 32:470-85.
4. Awad SS, Palacio CH, Subramanian A, Byers PA, Abraham P, Lewis D et al. Implementation of a methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) prevention bundle results in decreased MRSA surgical site infections. Am J Surg. 2009; 198(5):607-610.
5. Ercole FF, Chianca TCM. Infecção de sítio cirúrgico em pacientes submetidos à artroplastia de quadril. Revista Latino-Am. Enfermagem. 2002; 10(2):157-65.
6. Lima ALLM, Zumiotti AV, Uip DE, Silva JS. Fatores preditivos de infecção em pacientes com fraturas expostas nos membros inferiores. Acta Ortop Bras. 2004; 12(1):23-39.
7. Maksimovic J. Incidence of surgical site infections in the departaments of orthopedics and traumatology. Vojnosanit Pregl. 2006; 63(8):725-9.
8. Maksimovic J, Markovíc-Denic L, Bumbasrevic M, Marinkovic J, Vlajinac H. Surgical site infections in orthopedics patients: prospective cohort study. Croat Med J. 2008; 49(1):58-65.
9. Zimmerli W, Trampuz A, Ochsner PE. Prosthetic-joint infections. N Engl J Med. 2004; 351:1645-54.
10. Trampuz A, Zimmerli W. Diagnosis and treatment of infections associated with fracture fixation devices. Injury. 2006; 37(suppl 2):S59-66.
11. Brewer GE. Operative surgery at city hospital with a preliminary report on the study of wound infection. Surgery of musculoskeletal system. Evarts M. 1990; 5:4316.
12. Esterhai J, Gelb I. Orthopaedic infection. Ortho. Clin. North Am. 1991; 22:503-10.
13. Tago IA, Asfhaq K, Gill P, Memon K, Kumar N, Mahboob G. Post operative infection in clean cases with the use of implant and their management. J pak orthop assoc. 2007; 19(2):46-56.
14. Dhillon KS, Kok CS. The incidence of post-operative wound infection in orthopaedic surgery. Med. J. Malaysia. 1995; 50(3):237-40.
15. Onche I, Adedeji O. Microbiology of post-operative wound infection in implant surgery. Nigerian Journal of Surgical Research. 2004: 6(1, 2):37-40.
16. Ngim NE, Etokidem AJ, ikpeme IA, Udosen AM. Surgical site infection in clean orthopaedic operations: experience from the third world. Asian J Med Cli Sci. 2013 2(1).
17. Martson RA, Cobb AG, Bantley G. Stammor compare with Charnely total hip replacement. J Bone J Surg. 1996; 78:178-84.
18. Williams DN, Gustilo RB. The use of preventive antibiotic in orthopaedic surgery. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1984; 190:83-8.
19. Jamali AR, Mehboob G, Majid A, Bhatti A, Minhas S, Akhtar R et al. Postoperative wound infections in Orthopaedic surgery. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2001; 11:746-9.
20. Rao NB. A Prospective Study on the Postoperative Wound Infections. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2012; 6(7):1266-71.
21. Stephen Apanga, Jerome Adda, Mustapha Issahaku, Jacob Amofa, Kuewu Rita Ama, Mawufemor et al. Post-Operative Surgical Site Infection in a Surgical Ward of a Tertiary Care Hospital in Northern Ghana. Int J Res Health Sci. 2014; 2(1):207-12.
22. Aikaterini Masgala. Efstathios Chronopoulos, Georgios Nikolopoulos, John Sourlas, Stergios Lallos, Emmanuel Brilakis, John Lazarettos, Nikolaos Efstathopoulos. Risk Factors Affecting The Incidence Of Infection After Orthopaedic Surgery: The Role Of Chemoprophylaxis. Cent Eur J Public Health. 2012; 20(4):252-256.
23. Ibtesam K Afifi, Ehssan A Baghagho. Three months study of orthopaedic surgical site infections in an Egyptian University hospital. International Journal of Infection Control. 2010; v6:i1.
24. Akinyoola AL, Adegbehingbe OO, Ogundele OJ. Factors influencing the outcome of elective paediatric orthopaedic operations in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Tanzan J Health Res. 2008; 10(2):68-72.
25. Khan MS, Rehman S, Ali MA, Sultan B, Sultan SJ. Infection in orthopedic implant surgery, its risk factors and outcome. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad, 2008; 20(1):23-5.
26. Patel S. Surgical Site Infections: Incidence and Risk Factors in A Tertiary Care Hospital, Western India. National Journal of Community Medicine. 2012; 3(2):193-196.
27. Yang K, Yeo SJ, Lee BPH, Lo NN. Total Knee Replacements in Diabetic Patients, A Study Of 109 Consecutive Cases. J arthroplasty. 2001; 16:102-106.
28. Guo-qing Li, Fang-fang Guo, Yang Ou, Guang-wei Dong, Wen Zhou. Epidemiology and outcomes of surgical site infections following orthopedic surgery. AJIC. December 2013; 41(12):1268-1271.
29. Awan MS, Dhari FJ, Laghari AA, Bilal F, Khaskheli NM. Surgical Site infection in Elective Surgery. Journal of surgery Pakistan. 2011; 16(1):33-7.
30. Satyanarayana V. Study of Surgical Site Infections in Abdominal Surgeries. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2011; 5(5):935-939.
31. Wassef MA, Hussein A, Abdul Rahman EM, El-Sherif RH. A Prospective Surveillance of Surgical Site Infections: Study for Efficacy of Preoperative Antibiotics Prophylaxis. Afr. J. Microbiol. Res. 2012; 6(12):3072-8.
32. Kalmeijer MD, Coertjens H, van Nieuwland-Bollen PM, Bogaers-Hofman D, de Baere GA, Stuurman A et al. Surgical site infections in orthopedic surgery: the effect of mupirocin nasal ointment in a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 35:353-8.
33. Singh R. Prevalence and Antibiotic Sensitivity Pattern of Bacteria Isolated from Nosocomial Infections in Orthopaedic Patients. J. Orthopaedics. 2010; 7(2):153-159