A Prospective Study on Prevalence of Depression Among Elderly Patients Attending the Psychiatry OPD of a Tertiary Care Hospital in North India
Background: Cognitive impairment is a common clinical issue among elderly patients suffering with depression and has a more obscure etiology. The present study aimed to determine the prevalence of cognitive impairment and depression in geriatric patients attending Psychiatric OPD.
Methods: This Prospective cross-sectional study was carried out on elderly people (n=330) attending the Psychiatry OPD of Teerthanker Mahaveer Medical College and Hospital, Moradabad. The cognitive function and depression were assessed by applying standardized Mini-Mental State Examination of Folstein (MMSE) and the Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS), respectively.
Results: Prevalence of cognitive impairment was 35.71% (36.41% women, 24.5% men), whereas the prevalence of depression was 45.45% (51.02% women, 39.89% men) significant differences were observed.
Conclusion: Cognitive impairment and depression were found to be more prevalent in the females than in the males. Hence, psychiatrist should pay special attention for early detection and treatment of depressive symptoms in elderly people with cognitive impairment.
2. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2004;82:213-18.
3. Bhende A, Kanitkar T. Principles of population studies. 6th revised ed. Mumbai: Himalaya Publishing House; 1997. pp. 137-40.
4. Annual report: Health plan and policy. New Delhi: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare; 2002. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India; p. 15.
5. Sharma S. Ageing: An Indian experience. Souvenir of ANCIPS 94, Madras.1994:101-5.
6. Venkobarao A. Geropsychiatry in Indian culture. Can J Psychiatry 1979;25:431-6.
7. Ghosh AB. Psychiatry in India: Need to focus on geriatric Psychiatry. Indian J Psychiatry 2006;48:4-9.
8. Pereira YD, Estibeiro A, Dhume R, Fernandez J. Geriatric patients attending tertiary care Psychiatric hospital. Indian J Psychiatry 2002;44:326-31.
9. Venkoba Rao A. Psychiatry of Old Age in India. Int Rev Psychiatry 1993;5:165-70.
10. Ory, Marcia G. and Kathleen Bond. Introduction: Health Care for an Ageing society. In Ageing and Health Care: Social Science and policy Perspectives, ed. Marcia G., Ory and Kathleen Bond. London: Routledge, 1989.
11. Folstein MF, Folstein SE, Mchugh PR. Mini mental state: a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J Psychiatr Res 1975;12(3):189-98.
12. Yesavage JA, Brink TL, Rose TL, Lum O, Huang V, Adey M, Leirer VO. Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: a preliminary report. J Psychiatr Res 1982-1983;17(1):37-49.
13. Vinkers DJ, Gussekloo J, Stek ML, Westendorp RG, van der Mast RC. Temporal relation between depression and cognitive impairment in old age: prospective population based study. BMJ 2004;329(7471):881.
14. Pando Moreno M, Aranda Beltrán C, Alfaro N, Mendoza P. Prevalencia de la depresión en adultos mayores en una población urbana. Rev Esp Geriatr Gerontol 2001;36(3):140-4.
15. Plassman BL, Langa KM, Fisher GG, et al. Prevalence of cognitive impairment without dementia in the United States. Ann Intern Med 2008;148(6):427-34.
16. Graham JE, Rockwood K, Beattie BL, et al. Prevalence and severity of cognitive impairment with and without dementia in an elderly population. Lancet 1997;349( 9068):1793-6.
17. Romero LJ, Ortiz IE, Finley MR, Wayne S, Lindeman RD. Prevalence of depressive symptoms in new mexico hispanic and non-hispanic white elderly. Ethn Dis 2005;15(4):691-7.
18. Singh VB, Nayak KC, Kataria DK, Verma SK, Jain P, Sidhu D, et al. Psychiatric co-morbidities in patients attending Geriatric clinic at a tertiary care hospital. J Indian Acad Geriatr 2005;2:65-9.
19. Palmer RM. Geriatric Assessment. Med Clin North Am. 1999;83(6):1503-23.
20. Goswami A, Reddaiah VP, Kapoor SK, Singh B, Dey AB, Dwivedi SN, Kumar G. Prevalence and Determinants of Cognitive impairment in Rural Elderly Population in India. Help Age India Res Dev J. 2006;12:8-15.
21. Jain RK, Aras RY. Depression in Geriatric Population in Urban Slums of Mumbai. Indian J Public Health 2007;51(2):112-3.
22. Hughes RN, Dana C. Demaillie, Diane and Blazer DG. Does Age makes a Difference in the Effects of Physical Health and Social Support on the Outcome of a Major Depressive Episode? Am J Psych 1993;150(5):728-33.
23. Venkoba Rao A. National Task Force Study on Problems of the aged seeking psychiatric help. ICMR 1987. Mental health status of the elderly. ICMR Bulletin 1996;26:28-34.