Insecticidal Exposure may be the Cause of Progression of Immune Disorders and Inflammatory Diseases through Dys-regulation of Cytokines
Industrial revolution has dangerously increased the load of environmental or environmentally induced diseases. Recently, the insecticides (a class of pesticides killing various insects) have become one of the most important environmental pollutants. This Review discusses the association of insecticides, cytokines dys-regulation and the development of immuno-regulatory disorders and chronic inflammatory conditions. In spite of abundant reviewing and reporting of various immuno-inflammatory diseases individually, efforts lack to understand the central pathological mechanism underlying these diseases collectively. The cytokines are extensively involved in inter-cellular communications; they are regarded attractive markers for risk stratification or patient prognosis. In this Review, an understanding has been generated about the role of various receptors, genes and signaling pathways etc. in the trianglular link of cytokines, immuno-inflammatory diseases and insecticides. Such role, in a number of instances, had been those of (1) a receptor tyrosine kinase designated as c-kit or SCF receptor and (2) NFκB, the most excellently described transcription factor. The conclusion of the Review is that insecticides are linked with increasing susceptibility to various diseases especially any type of chronic inflammation through cytokine dys-regulation. Moreover, insecticidal toxicity can cause deviations in certain parameters of diagnosis. So insecticide applicators must be stressed to ensure only recommended doses and formulations of insecticides if really necessary.
2. Akram, M, MR Gulzar, M Nazim, J Iqbal. Agricultural machines injuries: Incidence. Professional Med J, 2010;17(1): 485-488.
3. Ahmad, L, A Khan, MZ Khan. Pyrethroid-induced reproductive toxico-pathology in non-target species. Pak Vet J. 2012;32(1): 1-9.
4. Yu, J, M Akishita, M Etoet al. Src kinase-mediates androgen receptor-dependent non-genomic activation of signaling cascade leading to endothelial nitric oxide synthase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;424(3):538-43.
5. Hernandez, AF, T Parron, R Alarcon. Pesticides and Asthma. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;11(2): 90-96.
6. Ahmad, L, A Khan, MZ Khan. Cypermethrin induced biochemical and hepato-renal pathological changes in rabbits. Int J Agric Biol, 2011;13: 865–872.
7. Krauss-Etschmann, S, KF Meyer, S Dehmel, MN Hylkema. Inter- and transgenerational epigenetic inheritance: evidence in asthma and COPD? Clin Epigenetics. 2015;7(1): 53. doi:10.1186/s13148-015-0085-1.
8. Rohr, U, W Konig, F Selenka.. Effect of pesticides on the release of histamine, chemotactic factors and leukotrienes from rat mast cells and human basophils. [Article in German, with abstract in English] Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg B. 1985;181(6):469-86.
9. Allazov, S. The characteristics of acute infectious-inflammatory kidney diseases in pesticide exposure. Urol Nefrol (Mosk). 1994;(2): 14-16.
10. Montgomery, MP, F Kamel, TM Saldana, MC Alavanja, DP Sandler. Incident diabetes and pesticide exposure among licensed pesticide applicators: Agricultural Health Study, 1993-2003. Am J Epidemiol. 2008;5;167(10):1235-46.
11. Łukaszewicz-Hussain, A. The effect of organophosphate pesticides on pancreas. [Article in Polish; Abstract in English] Med Pr. 2011;62(5):543-50.
12. Soman, S, S Gautam and CPJ Charlton. Routine use of inflammatory markers in paediatric inflammatory bowel disease. Arch Dis Child. 2011;96:A19-A20. doi:10.1136/adc.2011.212563.37.
13. Dogar, MZ, N Shareef, M Ali. Deranged serum lipids: A cause or effect of hypertension. The Professional Med J. 1999;1: 119 126.
14. Widdison, S, N Siddiqui, V Easton et al. The bovine chemokine receptors and their mRNA abundance in mononuclear phagocytes. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:439 (11 pages). doi:10.1186/1471-2164-11-439.
15. Cassetta, L, E Cassol, G Poli. Macrophage polarization in health and disease. Scientific World J, 2011;11: 2391–2402.
16. Doria, A , M Zen, S Bettio et al. Autoinflammation and autoimmunity: Bridging the divide. Autoimmunity Rev. 2012;12: 22–30.
17. Navarro-Gonzalez, JF, C Mora-Fernandez, MM de-Fuentes, J Garcia-Perez. Inflammatory molecules and pathways in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2011;7: 327-340.
18. Erin, EM, AS Zacharasiewicz, GC Nicholson et al. Rapid effect of inhaled ciclesonide in asthma: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Chest. 2008;134:740-745; DOI 10.1378/chest.07-2575.
19. Agnone, A, A Torina, G Vesco et al. Antigen-specific T cells and cytokines detection as useful tool for understanding immunity against zoonotic infections. Clin Dev Immunol. 2012;8 pages, ID 768789, doi:10.1155/2012/768789.
20. Newton, K, VM Dixit. Signaling in innate immunity and inflammation. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2012;4:a006049. doi: 10.1101/cshperspect.a006049.
21. Neta, G, LR Goldman, D Barr et al. Fetal exposure to chlordane and permethrin mixtures in relation to inflammatory cytokines and birth outcomes, Environ. Sci. Technol. 2011;45(4):1680–1687.
22. Turnbull, AV and CL Rivier. Regulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis by cytokines: Actions and mechanisms of action. Physiol Rev. 1999;79(1): 1-71.
23. Coondoo, A. The role of cytokines in the pathomechanism ofcutaneous disorders. Indian J Dermatol. 2012; 57: 90-96.
24. Trifari, S, CD Kaplan, EH Tran, NK Crellin, H Spits. Identification of a human helper T cell population that has abundant production of interleukin 22 and is distinct from T(H)-17, T(H)1 and T(H)2 cells. Nat Immunol, 2009.10: 864–871.
25. Digalakis, MK, IE Katsoulis, K Biliri, K Themeli-Digalaki. Serum profiles of C-reactive protein, interleukin-8, and tumor necrosis factor-α in patients with acute pancreatitis. HPB Surg, 2009;5 pages. ID 878490, doi:10.1155/2009/878490.
26. Kumar, RK, DC Webb, C Herbert, PS Foster. Interferon-gamma as a possible target in chronic asthma. Inflamm. Allergy Drug Targets. 2006;5:253-256.
27. Wei, Z, W Gao, Y Wu, B Ni, Y Tian. Mutual interaction between BCL6 and microRNAs in T cell differentiation. RNA Biol. 2015; 12(1): 21–25.
28. Grumelli, S, B Lu, L Peterson, T Maeno, C Gerard. CD46 Protects against chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. PLoS ONE. 2011;6(5): e18785. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0018785.
29. Wills-Karp, M. Interleukin-13 in asthma pathogenesis. Immunol. Rev. 2004;202:175-90.
30. Zhou, Y, M McLane, RC Levitt. Th2 cytokines and asthma interleukin-9 as a therapeutic target for asthma. Respir Res. 2001;2:80–84. http://respiratory-research.com/content/2/2/080.
31. Soundararajan, N, D Mohan, R Abbu, T Devasena. Evaluation of cytotoxicity, oxidative stress, nuclear changes and proinflammatory cytokines induced by monocrotophos in human keratinocyte cells in vitro. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, 2015;7(1):160-164.
32. Watanabe, W, H Yoshida, A Hirose et al. Exposure to insecticide methamidophos suppressed production of proinflammatory cytokines responding to virus infection in lung tissues in mice. BioMed Research International. 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/151807.
33. Yamashita, M, S Chattopadhyay, V Fensterl, P Saikia, JL Wetzel and GC Sen. Epidermal growth factor receptor is essential for Toll-like receptor 3 signaling. Sci Signal. 2012;5 (233):ra50 22810896.
34. Asante B. Hamatopoietic stem cells differentiation and its application in medicine. Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering and Applied Sciences (JETEAS). 2015;6(4): 242- 247.
35. Raman, D, T Sobolik-Delmaire, A Richmond. Chemokines in health and disease. Exp Cell Res, 2011;317(5): 575–589. doi:10.1016/j.yexcr.2011.01.005.
36. Traves, SL, SV Culpitt, REK Russell, PJ Barnes and LE Donnelly. Increased levels of the chemokines GROα and MCP-1 in sputum samples from patients with COPD. Thorax, 2002;57:590–595.
37. Reichel, CA, D Puhr-Westerheide, G Zuchtriegel et al. C-C motif chemokine CCL3 and canonical neutrophil attractants promote neutrophil extravasation through common and distinct mechanisms. Blood. 2012;120(4): 880-890. doi: 10.1182/blood-2012-01-402164.
38. Costa, C, R Rufino, SL Traves et al. CXCR3 and CCR5 chemokines in the induced sputum from patients with COPD. Chest. 2008; 133:26-33.
39. Schwartzkopff, F, F Petersen, TA Grimm, E Brandt. CXC chemokine ligand 4 (CXCL4) down-regulates CC chemokine receptor expression on human monocytes. Innate Immun, 2012;18(1) 124–139. DOI: 10.1177/1753425910388833.
40. Torren, M, MV Nogues, D Andreu, E Boix. The ‘‘CPC Clip Motif’’: A conserved structural signature for heparin-binding proteins. PLoS ONE, 2012;7(8): e42692. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0042692.
41. Fernandes, TRMO, I Santos, JP Korinsfky, BSL Silva, LO Carvalho, H Plapler. Cutaneous changes in rats induced by chronic skin exposure to ultraviolet radiation and organophosphate pesticide. Acta Cir. Bras. 2014;29(1):7-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0102-86502014000100002
42. Zhoua, P, M Tachedjian, JW Wynne. Contraction of the type I IFN locus and unusual constitutive expression of IFN-α in bats. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2016;8;113(10):2696-2701. www.pnas.org/lookup/suppl/doi:10. 1073/pnas.1518240113
43. Pang, X, H-X Zhou. A common model for cytokine receptor activation: combined scissor-like rotation and self-rotation of receptor dimer induced by class-1 cytokine. PLoS Comput Biol, 2012;8(3):e1002427. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002427
44. Congote, LF, G Sadvakassova, MC Dobocan, MR DiFalco, Q Li. Erythropoietin-dependent endothelial proteins: Potential use against erythropoietin resistance. Cytokines. 2010;51(2):113–118.
45. Fojtikova, M, M Cerna, K Pavelka. A review of the effects of prolactin hormone and cytokine on the development and pathogenesis of autoimmune diseases. [Article in Czech with English Abstract] Vnitr Lek. 2010;56(5):402-413.
46. Liao, W, JX Lin, WJ Leonard. IL-2 family cytokines: new insights into the complex roles of IL-2 as a broad regulator of T helper cell differentiation. Curr Opin Immunol. 2011;23(5):598-604. doi: 10.1016/j.coi.2011.08.003.
47. Gollamudi S, A Johri, NY Calingasan, L Yang, O Elemento, MF Beal. Concordant signaling pathways produced by pesticide exposure in mice correspond to pathways identified in human Parkinson's disease. PLoS One. 2012;7(5):e36191. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0036191.
48. Ouyang, W, S Rutz, NK Crellin, PA Valdez, SG Hymowitz. Regulation and functions of the IL-10 family of cytokines in inflammation and disease. Annu Rev Immunol. 2011;29:71-109. doi: 10.1146/annurev-immunol-031210-101312.
49. Liu, Q, W Li, D Li, Y Feng, C Tao.The association of interleukin-10 -1082, -819, -592 polymorphisms and tuberculosis risk. Saudi Med J. 2015;36(4): 407–417.. doi: 10.15537/smj.2015.4.10545.
50. Satti, HS, S Hussain, Q Javed. Association of interleukin-6 gene promoter polymorphism with coronary artery disease in Pakistani families. The Scientific World Journal. 2013;Article ID 538365, 6 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/538365.
51. Christman, AL, E Selvin, DJ Margolis, GS Lazarus, LA Garza. Hemoglobin A1c predicts healing rate in diabetic wounds. J Invest Dermatol. 2011; 131(10):2121-2127. doi:10.1038/jid.2011.176.
52. Ahmad, L, A Khan, MZ Khan, I Hussain. Cypermethrin induced anaemia in male rabbits. Pak Vet J. 2009;29(4): 191-195.
53. Pongprasobchai, S, V Jianjaroonwong, P Charatcharoenwitthaya et al. Erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein for the prediction of severity of acute pancreatitis. Pancreas. 2010;39(8):1226-30.
54. Jagadishkumar, K, P Jain, VG Manjunath, L Umesh. Hepatic involvement in dengue fever in children. Iran J Pediatr. 2012;22(2):231-236.
55. Ipek, S, C Cekic, E Alper et al. Can red cell distribution width be a marker of disease activity in ulcerative colitis? Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015;8(8): 13848–13853.
56. Nishizaki, Y, S Yamagami, H Suzuki et al. Red blood cell distribution width as an effective tool for detecting fatal heart failure in super-elderly patients. Internal Med. 2012;51(17): 2271-2276.
57. Khan, DA, MM Bhatti, FA Khan, ST Naqvi. Evaluation of pesticides induced toxicity by oxidative stress and inflammatory biomarkers. Pak Armed Forces Med J, 2008;4. http://www.pafmj.org/showdetails.php?id=208&t=o
58. Sharma, S, AS Dhalla. Hematological alterations in pesticide exposed rural Punjabi farm workers. J Exp Zool. 2012;15(1): 241-243.
59. Malla, FA, G Sharma, S Singh. Chlorpyrifos pesticide toxicity on erythrocyte sedimentation rate in fish, Channa punctatus (Bloch.), Biol Med. 2009;1 (2): 54-55.
60. Zhang, Y, YC Chen, MF Krummel, SD Rosen. Autotaxin through lysophosphatidic acid stimulates polarization, motility, and trans-endothelial migration of naive T cells. J Immunol. 2012;189(8):3914-24. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1201604.
61. Vose, SC, K Fujioka, AG Gulevich, AY Lin, NT Holland, JE Casida. Cellular function of neuropathy target esterase in lysophosphatidylcholine action. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2008;232: 376–383.
62. Doperalski, NJ, CJ Martyniuk, MS Prucha, KJ Kroll, ND Denslow, DS Barber. Cloning and expression of the translocator protein (18 kDa), voltage-dependent anion channel, and diazepam binding inhibitor in the gonad of largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) across the reproductive cycle. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2011;173(1):86-95. doi: 10.1016/j.ygcen.2011.04.027
63. Guerin-Dubourg, A, A Catan, E Bourdon and P Rondeau. Structural modifications of human albumin in diabetes. Diabetes Metab. 2012; 38(2):171-178.
64. Jin, H, J Yu, W Wang et al. Serum Gc-globulin levels are reduced in patients with severe acute pancreatitis. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;24(5): 501-505. doi: 10.1097/MEG.0b013e328350f8fd.
65. Cui, L, J Li, X Xie. Rediocide A, an insecticide, induces G-protein-coupled receptor desensitization via activation of conventional protein kinase C. J Nat Prod. 2012;75 (6), pp 1058–1062. doi: 10.1021/np3000359.
66. Joshi, AK, R Nagaraju, PS Rajini. Insights into the mechanisms mediating hyperglycemic and stressogenic outcomes in rats treated with monocrotophos, an organophosphorus insecticide. Toxicology. 2012;294(1):9-16.
67. Czegle, I, M Csala, J Mandl, A Benedetti, I Karadi, G Banhegyi. G6PT-H6PDH-11βHSD1 triad in the liver and its implication in the pathomechanism of the metabolic syndrome. World J Hepatol. 2012;4(4): 129–138.
68. Mazur, CS, JF Kenneke, M-R Goldsmith, C Brown. Contrasting influence of NADPH and a NADPH-regenerating system on the metabolism of carbonyl-containing compounds in hepatic microsomes. Drug Metab Dispos. 2009;37(9): 1801-1805. doi:10.1124/dmd.109.027615.
69. Agha, A, A Bella, B Aldosary, ZN Kazzi, MA AlHumaidi. Imidacloprid poisoning presenting as leukoclastic vasculitis with renal and hepatic dysfunction. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2012;23(6): 1300-1303.
70. Mefford, IN, JT Mefford, CA Burris. Improved diabetes control and pancreatic function in a type 2 diabetic after omeprazole administration. Case Rep Endocrinol, 2012;4 pages, ID 468609, doi:10.1155/2012/468609.
71. Ruilope, L, M Hanefeld, AM Lincoff. Effects of the dual peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α/γ agonist aleglitazar on renal function in patients with stage 3 chronic kidney disease and type 2 diabetes: a Phase IIb, randomized study. BMC Nephrolog. 2014. 15:180. Doi: 10.1186/1471-2369-15-180
72. Liu, Y, TM El-Achkar, XR Wu. Tamm-Horsfall protein regulates circulating and renal cytokines by affecting glomerular filtration rate and acting as a urinary cytokine trap. J Biol Chem, 2012;287(20):16365-78.
73. Morey, P, SM. Jadhav, M Karpe, V Kadam. Biomarkers in oncology. J Appl Pharmaceut Sc (JAPS). 2012;02(03): 182-191.
74. Ahmad, L, A Khan, MZ Khan et al. Toxico-pathological effects of cypermethrin upon male reproductive system in rabbits. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology (PBP), 2012;103(2012):194-201.
75. Yang, J-H, Y-M Lee, S-G Bae, DR Jacobs Jr, D-H Lee. Associations between organochlorine pesticides and vitamin D deficiency in the U.S. population. PLoS ONE. 2012;7(1):e30093. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0030093.
76. Turner, AK, M Begon, JA Jackson, JE Bradley, S Paterson. Genetic diversity in cytokines associated with immune variation and resistance to multiple pathogens in a natural rodent population. PLoS Genet. 2011;7(10): e1002343. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1002343.
77. Dixit, N, SI Simon. Chemokines, selectins and intracellular calcium flux: temporal and spatial cues for leukocyte arrest. Frontiers in Immunology. 2012;3(188): 1-9. doi:10.3389/fimmu.2012.00188.
78. Kumar, V, AK Abbas, JC Asrer. Robbins Basic Pathology. 9th Ed, Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders. 2013
79. Anglin, RE, PI Rosebush, MF Mazurek. Neuroleptic malignant syndrome: a neuroimmunologic hypothesis. Can Med Assoc J (CMAJ). 2010; 182(18): E834- E838.
80. TargoNska-Stwpniak, B, M Majdan. Serum amyloid A as a marker of persistent inflammation and an indicator of cardiovascular and renal involvement in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Mediators of Inflammation. 2014;2014(7 pages) http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/793628