Efficacy of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Laparoscopy in Chronic Abdominal Pain - A Hospital Based Prospective Study
Background: Patients with chronic abdominal pain can undergo numerous diagnostic tests with little change in their pain. This study was under taken to assess the efficacy of performing diagnostic and therapeutic laparoscopy in patients with chronic abdominal pain for longer than 12 weeks.
Methods: All patients undergoing laparoscopy for chronic abdominal pain were included in the study for a period of 1 year from July 2015 to June 2016. The patient’s demographic data, length of time with pain, diagnostic studies, intraoperative findings, interventions and follow-up were determined.
Results: A total of 50 patients with an average age of 35.75 years underwent diagnostic laparoscopy for the evaluation and treatment of chronic abdominal pain. The average length of time with pain was 32.96 weeks (range 12-96). 4 cases required conversion to an open procedure and no complications occurred. Findings included abdominal Koch's in 18, appendicitis in 16, cholecystitis in 2, cirrhosis in 2; ovarian cyst in 2, bilateral fimbrial cyst in 2 and 8 patients had no obvious pathology. 82.6% of patients had pain relief at the time of follow up.
Conclusions: Laparoscopy has a diagnostic and therapeutic role in patients with chronic pain abdomen.
2. Arya PK, Gaur KJBS. Laparoscopy: a tool in diagnosis of lower abdominal pain. Indian J Surg. 2004;66:216-20.
3. Krishnan P, Vayoth SO, Dhar P, Surendran S, Ponnambathayil S. Laparoscopy in suspected abdominal tuberculosis is useful as an early diagnostic method. ANZ J Surg. 2008;78:987-9.
4. Rai S, Thomas WM. The importance of laparoscopy in diagnosis of abdominal tuberculosis. J R Soc Med. 2003;96:586-8.
5. Fayez JA, Toy NJ, Flanagan TM. The appendix as the cause of chronic lower abdominal pain. Am J Obstet Gynaecol. 1995;172:122-3.
6. Raymond P, Onders MD, Elizabeth A, Mittendorf MD. Utility of laparoscopy in chronic abdominal pain. Surgery. 2003;134(4):549-54.
7. Paajanen Hannu, Julkunen Kristiina, Waris Heidi. Laparoscopy in chronic abdominal pain: a prospective non randomized long term follow-up study. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2005;39:110-4.
Copyright (c) 2016 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.