Esthesioneuroblastoma - A Clinicopathological Study
Background: Esthesioneuroblastoma is a rare tumour accounting for only 3% of all intranasal tumors. Its proximity with important structures and aggressive behavior presents a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. CT, MRI and histopathology forms the basic pillars of management.
Methods: A prospective study was conducted between Feb 1998 to Feb 2004 in the Department of ENT, JNMC, AMU Aligarh. All the five patients taken up for study proved histopathologically to be cases of esthesioneuroblastoma.
Results: Of the five patients, three presented with unilateral nasal obstruction (60%) and two with epistaxis (40%). Proptosis was present in one patient. Anosmia, headache and pain were other associated symptoms.
Conclusions: hepatic and renal involvement occurs in patients suffering from dengue fever. Hence, multidisciplinary approach should be carried out while treating such patients.
2. Hutter RVP, Lewis JS, Foote FW Tollefsen HR-Esthesioneuroblastoma. A Clinical and Pathologic study. Am. J. Surg. 106: 748, 1963.
3. Devaney K., Weinz BM, Abbondanzo SL - Olfactory neuroblastoma and other round cell lesions of the sinonasal regio. Mod. Pathol. 9: 653-658, 1996.
4. Tajudeen BA, Arshi A, Suh JD, St John M, Wang MB; Importance of tumor grade in esthesioneuroblastoma survival: a population-based analysis. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014 Dec;140(12):1124-9.
5. Lester D. R. Thompson, Olfactory Neuroblastoma, Head Neck Pathol. 2009 Sept 3(3): 252-259.
6. Dulguerov P, Calcotena T. Ethsioneuroblastoma: the UCLA experience 1970-1990: Laryngoscope 102:843-849, 1992
7. M.C. Howell, B.F. Branstetter and C.H. Snyderman; Patterns of Regional Spread for Esthesioneuroblastoma; AJNR 2011 32: 929-933.
8. Saade RE1, Hanna EY, Bell D-Prognosis and biology in esthesioneuroblastoma: the emerging role of Hyams grading system; Curr Oncol Rep. 2015 Jan;17(1):423
9. Picbuth D, Heywang -Kobrunner SN, Spielmann RP. Computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging features of olfactory neuroblastoma: an analysis of 22 cases. Clin Otolaryngol 1999 Sept. 24(5), 457-61.
10. Haas I, Ganzer U - Does sophisticated diagnostic workup on nueroectodermal tumors have an impact on the treatment of Esthesioneuroblastoma? Onkologie.2003 Jun; 26(3):261-7.
11. Schupman R, gilbert EF, Wilde J, Wiedrich TA-Immunohistochemical studies rhabdomyosarcoma. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 110: 818-821, 1986.
12. Thompson L D, Wieneke J A, Miettinen M-Sinonasal tract and nasopharyngeal melanomas:A clinicopathologic study of 115 cases with a proposed staging system. American J Surg Pathol.2003 May;27(5):594-611.
13. Candito M, Thyss A, Albertini M -Methylated catecholamine metabolites for diagnosis of neuroblastoma. Med. Paediar. Oncol. 20: 215, 1992.
14. Dias F L, Sa G M, Lima R A, Kligerman J, Leoncio M P, Freitas E Q, Soares J R, Arcuri R A: Patterns of failure and outcome in olfactory neuroblastoma. Arch. otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. 129(11): 1186-92, 2003.
15. Ow T J, Bell D, Kupferman ME, Demonte F, Hanna EY- Esthesioneuroblastoma; Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2013 Jan;24(1):51-65.