An Unusual Case of Sebaceous Gland Carcinoma of the Upper Eyelid - A Case Report
Sebaceous gland carcinoma of the eyelid is an aggressive malignant tumor derived from adnexal epithelium of sebaceous glands. Sebaceous gland carcinoma took the second place of all malignant eyelid tumors and occurred in 19.1%. The upper lid involved by sebaceous gland carcinoma is 54.6% and has a predilection 3 times more than the lower lid. It presents as a poorly differentiated lesion, which suggests a possibility of misdiagnosis because of it similarities to basal or squamous cell carcinoma. A 55-year-old male presented with a left upper eyelid swelling with an ulcerated wound over the lateral 2/3rd of the upper eyelid. A differential diagnosis of sebaceous gland carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma of the eyelid was made. The X-ray orbit showed that there is a homogenous soft tissue density lesion along the lateral aspect of orbit on left side and a bony irregularity seen along the lateral margin of orbit on left side. B-scan showed mixed echogenic lesions in the subcutaneous plane involving the upper eyelid. A wide excision with lower lid switch and cheek rotation flap was performed. The diagnosis of sebaceous gland carcinoma was confirmed on histopathological findings. An early diagnosis and appropriate treatment may decrease the long-term morbidity. It may also extend the survival rates of such patients.
2. K. S. Subramaniam, T. Sreedharan, M. Kannan Kutty. Meibomian Carcinoma. British Journal of Ophthalmology 1965; 49: 93.
3. Khan JA, Doane JF, Grove AS Jr.Sebaceous and meibomian carcinoma of the eye lid. Recognition, diagnosis and management. Ophthalmic Plastic Reconstructive Surgery 1991;7(1):61-63.
4. Margo CE, Mulla ZD. Arch Ophthalmol 1998; 116(2):195-198.
5. Abdi U et al. J Indian Med Assoc 1996; 94(11):405-409,416,418.
6. Treatment Options and Future Prospects for the Management of Eyelid Malignancies. An Evidence-based Update. Briggs E. Cook, Jr., MD, 1 George B. Bartley, MD2: Ophthalmology 2001; 108:2088-2100.
7. Curtis E. Margo MD, I.2 Alan Lessner, MD, 1 George A. Stern, MD. Intraepithelial Sebaceous Carcinoma of the Conjunctiva and Skin of the Eyelid: Ophthalmology 1992; 99:227-231.
8. Jerry A. Shields, MD,1 Hakan Demirci, MD,1 Brian P. Marr, MD,1 Ralph C.Eagle, Jr,MD,2 Carol L. Shields, MD1Sebaceous Carcinoma of the Eyelids Personal Experience with 60 Cases. Ophthalmology 2004; 111:2151-2157.
9. While, Benjamin; Salvi, Sachin; Currie, Zanna. Excision and delayed reconstruction with paraffin section histopathological analysis for periocular sebaceous carcinoma. Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 30(2):105-109, March/April 2014.
Copyright (c) 2017 International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.