A Hospital Based Comparative Study to Evaluate the Correlation Between Insulin Resistance (By HOMA-IR) and Lipid Profile Among Obese Adults
Background: Obesity is a clinical condition in which excess body fat accumulates to the extent that it may have an adverse effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and or increased health problems. So, we took the opportunity to conduct the present study with the aim to explore the associations of lipid profile parameters and ratios with insulin resistance (IR) in adult obese population.
Methods: A hospital based comparative study 50 obese individual, attended in department of physiology & biochemistry in SP Medical college, Bikaner, Rajasthan. Estimate of Insulin Resistance is calculated by Homeostasis Model Assessment (HOMA-IR) index.
Results: Our study showed that the correlation with BMI and Insulin Resistance is significant (p<0.05) in obese Indian adults. HOMA-IR showed highly significant positive association with at p<0.05 level in obese adults TC, TG, LDL, VLDL, TC/HDL-C, TG/HDL-C. Fasting glucose (FBS) showed significant positive correlation with BMI and lipid parameters (TG, TC, LDL).
Conclusions: We concluded that abnormal lipid profile and insulin resistance were found to be common in obese adults. Both are associated with increased risk of cardiovascular diseases.
2. Chen W, Chang B, Li L, Chan L. Patatin-like phospholipase domain-containing 3/adiponutrin deficiency in mice is not associated with fatty liver disease. Hepatology (Baltimore, Md). 2010; 52:1134–1142.
3. Maryam Saghafi-Asl, Saeed Pirouzpanah, Mehranghiz Ebrahimi-Mameghani,
Mohammad Asghari-Jafarabadi, Soudabeh Aliashrafi, Bita Sadein. Lipid Profile In Relation To Anthropometric Indices and Insulin Resistance in Overweight Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Health Promot Perspect. 2013 Dec 31;3(2):206-16.
4. Chizumi Yamada, Kengo Moriyama, Eiko Takahash. Association between insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome risk factors in Japanese. J Diabetes Investig. 2012 Mar 28;3(2):185-90.
5. Arti Gurung, Meera shivsekhar and Ebenezer William. Study Of Insulin Resistance And Lipid Profile In Obese Adults. IJSID, 2013;3(3):362-6.
6. Zhang L, Chen S, Deng A, Liu X, Liang Y, Shao X, et al. Association between Lipid Ratios and Insulin Resistance in a Chinese Population. PLoS ONE.2015;10(1): e0116110.
7. Cigolini M, Seidell JC, Targher G, Deslypere JP, Ellsinger BM, Charzewska J, Cruz A, Björntorp P. Fasting serum insulin in relation to components of the metabolic syndrome in European healthy men: the European Fat Distribution Study. Metabolism. 1995 Jan;44(1):35-40.
8. Raitakari OT, Porkka KV, Rönnemaa T, Knip M, Uhari M, Akerblom HK, Viikari JS. The role of insulin in clustering of serum lipids and blood pressure in children and adolescents. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Diabetologia. 1995 Sep;38(9):1042-50.
9. Carantoni M, Zuliani G, Volpato S, Palmieri E, Mezzetti A, Vergnani L, Fellin R. Relationships between fasting plasma insulin, anthropometrics, and metabolic parameters in a very old healthy population. Associazione Medica Sabin. Metabolism.1998;47(5): 535-40.
10. Manolio TA, Savage PJ, Burke GL, Liu KA, Wagenknecht LE, Sidney S, Jacobs DR Jr, Roseman JM, Donahue RP, Oberman A. Association of fasting insulin with blood pressure and lipids in young adults. The CARDIA study. Arteriosclerosis. 1990 May-Jun;10(3):430-6.
Copyright (c) 2020 Deepak Maharia, Manoj Garg
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.