A Prospective Study to Effect of Age on Cardiovascular Autonomic Function Tests in Healthy Subjects in Mulayam Singh Yadav Medical College, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh: An Institutional Based Study
Background: Chronologic & biologic ageing begin at conception, although senescent changes, defined as functional declines are usually apparent only after sexual maturation. age though both sympathetic and parasympathetic are affected but parasympathetic involvement appears to be more frequent than sympathetic. This is a present study to evaluate the effect of age on cardiovascular autonomic function tests in healthy subjects (18-65 years) of both sexes.
Materials &Methods: The cross-sectional study was carried out in 100 healthy subjects in the age range of 18 - 65 years randomly selected among the staff & students of Mulayam Singh Yadav Medical college, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh. All the subjects were divided in to group I to group IV. All the subjected were recording of their physical anthropometry, various physiological parameters and autonomic function parameters.
Results: We found a significant (p=0.02) increase in the BMI of subjects from Group I to Group IV except in Group II. There is insignificant (p=0.107) decrease in the BSA of subjects from Group I to Group IV. Parasympathetic activity test was statistically significant from Group I to Group IV. BP response to sustained handgrip was statistically significant from Group I to Group IV but BP response to standing was statistical non-significant (P=0.203).Conclusion: We have tried to present different cardiovascular autonomic function tests both as absolute values & also as function scores. It appears that presenting autonomic function as function score can be easily interpreted. Autonomic function expressed as grading as per function score may be more useful for clinical purposes.
3. Khurana Indu. Text Book Medical Physiology. 1st edition. Elsevier Publishers; 2006. 1280.
4. Christine K Cassel, Harvey J Cohen, Eric B Larson, Diane E Meier, Neil M Resnick, Laurence Z Rubenstein et al. Geriatric Medicine. 3rd edition. Springer-Verlag Publishers; 1997. 3.
5. Islam T, Begum N, Ferdousi S, Ali T. Evaluation of Parasympathetic Nerve Function Status in Healthy Elderly Subjects. J Bangladesh Soc Physiol 2008; 3: 23-28.
6. Kuchel GA, Hof PR (eds). Autonomic Nervous System in Old Age. Interdiscipl Top Gerontol. Basel, Karger. 2004. 33, 32-44.
7. Schimazu T, Tamura N, Schimazu K. Ageing of the autonomic nervous system. Nippon Rinshaw 2005 Jun; 63(6): 973-7.
8. Laitinen Tomi, Niskanen Leo, Geelen Ghislaine, Lansimies Esko, Hartikainen Juha. Age dependency of cardiovascular autonomic responses to head-up tilt in healthy subjects. J Appl Physiol 2004 Jun; 96(6): 2333-40.
9. Roger Bannister. Testing autonomic reflexes in autonomic failure. Oxford Medical Publications. Oxford 1983; 52-63.
10. Ewing DJ, Clarke BF. Diagnosis and management of diabetic autonomic neuropathy. Br Med J 1982 Oct; 285: 916-918.
11. Nzuobontane Divine, Kathleen Blackett, Christopher. Cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction in Africans in human immunodeficiency virus. J R Soc Med 2002; 95(9): 445-447.
12. Dey Debashish Kumar, Rothenberg Elisabet, Sundh Valter, Bosaeus Ingvar, Steen Bertil. Height and Body Weight in Elderly Adults: A 21-Year Population Study on Secular Trends and Related Factors in 70-Year-Olds. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences 2001; 56 (12):780-784.
13. Zeigler D, Laux G, Dannehl K, Spuler M, Muhlen H, Mayer P, Gries FA. Assessment of cardiovascular autonomic function: age-related normal ranges and reproducibility of spectral analysis, vector analysis, and standard tests of heart rate variation and blood pressure responses. Diabet Med 1992; 9(2): 166-175.
14. Gautschy B, Weidmann P, Gnadinger MP. Autonomic function tests as related to age and gender in normal man. Journal of Medicine 1986; June 64(11): 499-505.
15. O’Brien IAD, O’Hare P, Corral RJM. Heart rate variability in healthy subjects: effect of age and the derivation of normal ranges for tests of autonomic function. Br Heart J 1986; 55:348-54.
16. Low PA, Denq JC, Opfer – Gehrking TL, Dyck PJ, O,Brien PC, Slezak JM. Effect of age and gender on Sudomotor and cardiovagal function and blood pressure response to tilt in normal subjects. Muscle Nerve 1997; 20: 1561-1568.
17. Low PA, Opfer – Gehrking TL, Proper CJ, Zimmerman J. The effect of ageing on cardiac autonomic and postganglionic sudomotor function. Muscle Nerve 1990; 13(2): 152-7.
18. Sega S, Jager F, Kiauta T. A comparison of cardiovascular reflex tests and spectral analysis of heart rate variability in healthy subjects. Clin Auton Res 1993; 3(3): 175-82.
19. Piha SJ. Autonomic responses to valsalva maneuver in healthy subjects. Clin Physiol 1995; 15(4): 339-47.
20. Kaijser L, Sachs C. Autonomic cardiovascular responses in old age. Clin Physiol 1985; Aug 5(4):347-57.
21. Vita G, Princi P, Calabro R, Toscano A, Manna L, Messina C. Cardiovascular reflex tests. Assessment of age-adjusted normal range. J Neurol Sci 1986; 75(3): 263-74.
22. Storm DS, Metzger BL, Therrien B. Effects of age on autonomic cardiovascular responsiveness in healthy men and women. Nurs Res 1989; 38(6): 326-30.
23. Braune S, Auer A, Schulte-Monting J, Schwerbrock S, Lucking CH. Cardiovascular parameters: sensitivity to detect autonomic dysfunction and influence of age and sex in normal subjects. Clin Auton Res 1996; 6(1): 3-15.
24. Ingall TJ, Mc Leod JG, O’Brien PC. The effect of ageing on autonomic nervous system function. Aust N Z J Med 1990; 20(4): 570-7.
25. Smith AS. Reduced sinus arrhythmia in diabetic autonomic neuropathy: diagnostic value of an age related normal range. British Medical Journal 1982; 285:1599-1601.
26. Weiling W, Van Brederode JF, De Rijk LG, Borst C, Dunning AJ. Reflex Control of heart rate in normal subjects in relation to age: a data base for the cardiac vagal neuropathy. Diabetologia 1982 Mar; 22(3): 163-6.
27. Cybulski G, Niewiadomski W. Influence of age on the immediate heart rate response to active orthostatic test. Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 2003; 54 (1): 65-80.
28. Piccirillo G, Cacciafesta M, Viola E, Santagada E, Nocco M, Lionetti M, Bucca C, Moisc A, Tarantini S, Marigliano V. Influence of aging on cardiac baroreflex sensitivity determined non-invasively by power spectral analysis. Clin Sci 2001; 100: 267-274.
29. Sachs C, Hamberger B, Kaijser L. Cardiovascular responses and plasma catecholamine in old age. Clin Physiol 1985; 5(6): 553-65.
30. Goldstraw PW, Warren DJ. The effect of age on the cardiovascular responses to isometric exercise: a test of autonomic function. Gerontology 1985; 31(1): 54-8.
31. Turner MJ, Mier CM, Spina RJ, Schectman KB, Ehsani AA. Effects of age and gender on the cardiovascular responses to isoproterenol. J Gerontol A 1999; 54: 393- 400.
32. Dart M Anthony, Du Xiao-Jun, Kingwell A Bronwyn. Gender, sex hormones and autonomic nervous control of the cardiovascular system. Cardiovascular Research 2002; 53: 678-687.
Copyright (c) 2020 Rajkumar, Anita Moral
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.