A Study of Anaemia in Hypothyroidism
Background: Thyroid hormones are important for maintaining the red cell mass. Patients with hypothyroidism has high chance of anaemia. But it is not given importance mostly in clinical practices. The anaemia seen in hypothyroidism can be either microcytic, normocytic or macrocytic.
Methods: The study was conducted in the department of Physiology and department of Medicine in J N Medical College, Aligarh. 50 patients with hypothyroidism was included in the study. The diagnosis of hypothyroidism was confirmed by serum TSH levels. They were then sent for complete blood count and peripheral smear study.
Results: 38 out of the 50 patients included in the study were females and rest are males. 24 patients were found to be anaemic. Of these 22 are females and 2 are males. The number of mild, moderate and severe anaemic patients were 7, 15 and 2 respectively. 6 patients were found to be having microcytic anaemia, 13 having normocytic and 5 patients were having macrocytic anaemia.
Conclusions: Moderate anaemia (62.5%) is found in maximum number of hypothyroid patients included in this study. Morphologically, normocytic anaemia is the most common followed by microcytic and macrocytic types. Anaemia should not be overlooked in the management of hypothyroidism.
2. Ma Y, Freitag P, Zhou J, Brune B, Frede S, Fandrey J. Thyroid hormone induces erythropoietin gene expression through augmented accumulation of hypoxia-inducible factor-1. American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 2004 Sep;287(3): R600-7. https://journals.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajpregu.00115.2004
3. Dorgalaleh A, Mahmoodi M, Varmaghani B. Effect of thyroid dysfunctions on blood cell count and red blood cell indice. Iranian journal of pediatric hematology and oncology. 2013;3(2):73. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3915449/
4. Mackenzie GM. Anemia in hypothyroidism. Journal of the American Medical Association. 1926 Feb 13;86(7):462-4.
5. Antonijević N, Nesović M, Trbojević B, Milosević R. Anemia in hypothyroidism. Medicinski pregled. 1999;52(3-5):136-40. https://europepmc.org/article/med/10518398
6. Unnikrishnan AG, Kalra S, Sahay RK, Bantwal G, John M, Tewari N. Prevalence of hypothyroidism in adults: An epidemiological study in eight cities of India. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2013;17: 647-52.
7. Sethi B, Barua S, Raghavendra MS, Gotur J, Khandelwal D, Vyas U. The thyroid registry: clinical and hormonal characteristics of adult indian patients with hypothyroidism. Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2017 Mar;21(2):302.
8. Nguyen PH, Scott S, Avula R, Tran LM, Menon P. Trends and drivers of change in the prevalence of anaemia among 1 million women and children in India, 2006 to 2016. BMJ global health. 2018 Oct 1;3(5).
9. Benoist B, McLean E, Egli I, Cogswell M. Global database on anemia. Geneva: WHO; 2008. Worldwide prevalence of anemia 1993-2005; pp. 1–2
10. Stevens GA, Finucane MM, De-Regil LM, Paciorek CJ, Flaxman SR, Branca F, Peña-Rosas JP, Bhutta ZA, Ezzati M, Nutrition Impact Model Study Group. Global, regional, and national trends in haemoglobin concentration and prevalence of total and severe anaemia in children and pregnant and non-pregnant women for 1995–2011: a systematic analysis of population-representative data. The Lancet Global Health. 2013 Jul 1;1(1): e16-25.
11. Alqahtani SA. Prevalence of Anemia in Hypothyroidism: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. EC Microbiology. 2019;15: 514-22.
12. Anand T, Rahi M, Sharma P, Ingle GK. Issues in prevention of iron deficiency anemia in India. Nutrition. 2014 Jul 1;30(7-8):764-70.
13. Tudhope GR and Wilson GM. Anemia in hypothyroidism. Q J Med 1960; 29:513–538.
14. Horton L, Coburn RJ, England JM, et al. The haematology of hypothyroidism. Q J Med 1976; 45, (177),101–123.
15. Amin J, Bashir N, Jeelani T, Ali N, Banday BM. ASSOCIATION OF HYPOTHYROIDISM AND ANEMIA-STUDY FROM A REGION OF JAMMU AND KASHMIR. International Journal of Medical and Biomedical Studies. 2019 Feb 8;3(2).
16. Mitra KJ, Ali SA, Seyed HS, et al. The Association between Hypothyroidism and Anemia: a clinical study. IJHOSCR, July 2010.
17. Patel KV. “Epidemiology of anemia in older adults”. Seminars in Hematology 45.4 (2008): 210-217.
18. Rezvani MR, Malek F, Ghotaslou A, Kamali M. Investigation of relation between Iron deficiency anemia and hypothyroidism. Razi Journal of Medical Sciences. 2016 Nov 10;23(149):89-97.
19. Jabbar A, Yawar A, Waseem S, Islam N, Ul Haque N, Zuberi L, Khan A, Akhter J. Vitamin B12 deficiency common in primary hypothyroidism. Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association. 2008;58(5):258.
Copyright (c) 2020 Syam Mohan, Sangeeta Singhal, Anjum Mirza Chughtai
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.