A Comparative Prospective Study Between Suprascapular Nerve Block and Intra Articular Steroid in Pain Management for Frozen Shoulder Patients
Background: The main cause of shoulder pain and dysfunction in middle aged and elderly populations.2 It most commonly affects women aged between 40 and 60 years. Frozen shoulder has been shown to have an incidence of 3% to 5% in the general population and up to 20% in those with diabetes. This disorder is one of the most common musculoskeletal problems in orthopaedics.
Methods: Total 70 cases were included in this study. This study was conducted in Department of Anesthesia. The duration of study was over a period of one year.
Results: This study revealed that pain intensity on 1st, 3rd, 6th week which were 50, 25, 20, 5 & 50, 25, 20, 5 in both group. The p value <0.05 score of pain was considered significant. We also observed p value of range of motion which was also considered significant.
Conclusions: This study conclude that both IASI and SSNB interventions are effective in the management of AC, and efficacy of both is more or less similar in relieving shoulder pain, functional disability, and improving ROM in the management of AC.
2. Sharma RK, Bajekal RA, Bhan S (1993) Frozen shoulder syndrome. A comparison of hydraulic distension and manipulation. Int Orthp 17 : 275-278.
3. Codman, E.A.: The shoulder. Rupture of the Supraspinatus Tendon and Other Lesions in or about the Subacromial Bursa, pp.216-224. Boston, privately printed, 1934
4. Grey, R.B.: Brief note. The natural history of "idiopathic" frozen shoulder. J Bone and Joint Surg., 60-A: 564, June 1978.
5. Haggart, G.E.; Dignam, R.J. and Sullivan, T.S.: Management of the "frozen" shoulder. J Am Med Assn., 161 : 1219-1222, 1956.
6. Lippman, R.K.: Frozen shoulder; periarthritis; bicipital tenosynovitis. Arch Surg., 283- 296, 1943.
7. Hazleman, B.L. The painful stiff shoulder. Rheumatol and Phys. Med , 11 : 413-421, 1972.
8. Swapnil P. Sonune et alInternational Journal of Research in Orthopaedics | October-December 2016 | Vol 2 | Issue 4Comparative study of ultrasound guided supra-scapular nerve block versus intra-articular steroid injection in frozen shoulder
9. Hsu JE, Anakwenze OA, Warrenderb WJ, Abboud J. Current review of adhesive capsulitis. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2011;20:502-14.
10. Mao CY, Jaw WC, Cheng HC. Frozen shoulder: Correlation between the response to Physical therapy and follow up shoulder arthrography. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997;78:857-9.
11. Robert CM. Clinical commentary and literature review: diagnosis, conservative and surgical management of adhesive capsulitis. Shoulder and Elbow. 2010;2:238–54.
12. 15. Taskaynatan MA, Yilmaz B, Ozgul A, Yazicioglu K, Kalyon TA. Suprascapular nerve block versus steroid injection for non‑specific shoulder pain. Tohoku J Exp Med 2005;205:19‑25.
13. 16. Teja AM, Banshiwal RC. Frozen shoulder: Evaluation of intraarticular corticosteroids injection versus suprascapular nerve block a prospective clinical study. Int J Orthop 2017;3:614‑8.
14. Ozkan K, Ozcekic AN, Sarar S, Cift H, Ozkan FU, Unay K, et al. Suprascapular nerve block for the treatment of frozen shoulder. Saudi J Anaesth 2012;6:52‑5.
15. Abdelshafi ME, Yosry M, Elmulla AF, Al‑Shahawy EA, Adou Aly M, Eliewa EA. Relief of chronic shoulder pain: A comparative study of three approaches. Middle East J Anaesthesiol 2011;21:83‑92.
16. Koh KH. Corticosteroid injection for adhesive capsulitis in primary care: A systematic review of randomised clinical trials. Singapore Med J 2016;57:646‑57.
17. Woolf CJ. Somatic pain – Pathogenesis and prevention. Br J Anaesth 1995;75:169‑76.
18. Lewis RN. The use of combined suprascapular and circumflex (articular branches) nerve blocks in the management of chronic arthritis of the shoulder joint. Eur J Anaesthesiol 1999;16:37‑41.
19. Steuri R, Sattelmayer M, Elsig S, Kolly C, Tal A, Taeymans J, et al. Effectiveness of conservative interventions including exercise, manual therapy and medical management in adults with shoulder impingement: A systematic review and meta‑analysis of RCTs. Br J Sports Med 2017;51:1340‑7.
Copyright (c) 2020 Sidharth Verma, Jayeeta Verma, Sanjog R Mekewar, Manvi Verma, Raghbirsingh P Gehdoo, Surekha Patil, Bhavika Verma
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.