A Hospital Based Study on Functional and Radiological Outcome of Volar Barton’s Fracture treated with Volar T – Plate
Background: Fractures may occur due to low energy or high energy injuries. High energy injuries are more frequent cause of volar Barton’s fracture.
Methods: 90 total number of cases were included in this study who attended the OPD. This study was conducted in Department of Orthopedics.
Results: In our study we were included total 90 cases of 0-60 age group. Mode of injury we were seen Fall on outstretched hand in 63 cases and Road traffic accident in rest cases. This study revealed that subject & functional result which were excellent in 18 & 27, good in 48 & 45 cases, fair in 15 & 6 cases, poor in 9& 12 cases respectively.
Conclusions: This study disclosed that maintaining anatomical reduction is key stone for satisfactory outcome. Best functional results were achieved till 6 months of treatment.
2. Atesok K, Liebergall M, Sucher E, Temper M, Mosheiff R, Peyser A. Treatment of pathological humeral shaft fractures with unreamed humeral nail. Ann Surg Oncol 2007; 14: 1493-1498.
3. 2. Yu XC, Xu M, Song RX, Song RX, Fu ZH, Liu XP. Long-term outcome of giant cell tumors of bone around the knee treated by en bloc resection of tumor and reconstruction with prosthesis. Orthop Surg 2010; 2: 211-217.
4. Huang X, Kong QQ, Tu CQ, Duan H, Min L, Zhou Y, et al. Statistical analysis of pathological fracture caused by bone tumor or tumor-like lesion in 448 patients. Chin J Bone Tumor Bone Dis (Chin) 2010; 9: 413-415.
5. Van der Linden YM, Dijkstra PD, Kroon HM, Lok JJ, Noordijk EM, Leer JW, et al. Comparative analysis of risk factors for pathological fracture with femoral metastases. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2004; 86: 566-573.
6. Wang Z, Guo Z, Li J, Li XD, Sang HX. Functional outcomes and complications of reconstruction of the proximal humerus after intra-articular tumor resection. Orthop Surg 2010; 21: 19-26.
7. Abudu A, Sferopoulos NK, Tillman RM, Carter SR, Grimer RJ. The surgical treatment and outcome of pathological fractures in localized osteosarcoma. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1996; 78: 694-698.
8. Deheshi BM, Jaffer SN, Griffin AM, Ferguson PC, Bell RS, Wunder JS. Joint salvage for pathologic fracture of giant cell tumor of the lowerextremity. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2007; 459: 96-104.
9. Alan ML, Albert JA. Pathologic fractures. In: Bruce DB, Jesse BJ, Alan ML, Peter GT, eds. Skeletal trauma. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Science (USA); 2003: 380-385.
10. Hu YC, Huang HC, Li HX, Han Y, Xu J, Shang W, et al. The clinical characteristics of secondary bone diseases caused by primary hyperparathyroidism. Chin J Bone Tumor Bone Dis (Chin) 2009; 8: 199-222.
11. Mondal R, Nandi M, Chandra PK. Neurofibromatosis, pathological fracture and hypervitaminosis-D. Indian Pediatr 2010; 47: 881-882.
12. Jenkins NH: The unstable distal end radius fractures. J Hand Surg 1989; 14B: 149-154.
13. Biyani A, Simison AJM, KienermanL : Fractures of the distal radius and ulna. H Hand Surg 1995; 20 B: 357-364.
14. Bain GI, Hunt J, Mehta JA. Operative fluoroscopy in hand and upper limb surgery: one 100 cases. J Hand Surg Br 1997;22:656-8.
15. Jakob M, Rikli DA, Regazzoni P. Fractures of the distal radius treated by internal fixation and early function: a prospective study of 73 consecutive patients. J Bone Joint Surg 2000;82B:340–344.
16. Wolfe SW, Easterling KJ, Yoo HH. Arthroscopic assisted reduction of distal radius fractures. Arthroscopy 1995;11:706-14.
17. AK Aggarwal, ON Nagi et al. Open reduction and internal fixation of volar Barton's fractures: A prospective study. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 2004;12(2):230–234.
18. Muhammad Nasir Ali, Amjad Tahir et al. Treatment of Volar Barton's Fractures of the Distal Radius with T-buttress Plates. Dr. Muhammad Nasir Ali, Assistant Professor. Department of Orthopaedic, B.l V. Hospital, Bahawalpur.
19. Badaruddin Sahito, Syed Mohammad Tariq et al. Outcome of open reduction and internal fixation of volar Barton fracture treated with Buttress plate. Rawal Medical Journal:Vol.40.No.4,Oct-Dec.2015.
20. King RE. Barton’s fracture-dislocation of the wrist. Curr Pract Orthop Surg, 1975; 6:133-44
Copyright (c) 2020 Manish ., Mohan Lal Vishnoi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.