A Prospective Study on Prevalence and Management of Jaundice during Antenatal Period in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital
Background: There are such a large number of components that are minded of during the antenatal period, Jaundice is one of them and significant one. Point of current examination was to know the etiological variables of jaundice among pregnant patients, result and their administration.
Methods: This study done in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, among pregnant patients with jaundice admitted in obstetric wards and labour room in 6 months duration.
Results: Among total admissions, 33 patients presented with jaundice. Out of all admissions 10 were HBSAg, 4 HEV, 3 HCV, 2 of HBSAg and HEV co-infection, cholestasis with pregnancy 6 and 3 patients with pre-eclamptic liver disease with HELLP.
Conclusions: Jaundice in pregnancy may be deadly to mother and fetus. As the course of disease is also rapid and in short period it may affect the fetus in utero also, early detection and prompt management of these cases should be done.
2. Creasy RK, Resnik R. Jaundice. In: Creasy RK, Resnik R, eds. Maternal Fetal Medicine: Principles and Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2004: 713.
3. Shalimar, Sulrat K. Acharya. Hepatitis E and acute liver failure in pregnancy. J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2013;3(3):213-24.
4. Lata I. Hepatobiliary diseases during pregnancy and their management: an update. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci. 2013;3(3):175-82.
5. Goel A, Jamwal KD, Ramachandran A, Balasubramanian KA, Eapen CE. Pregnancy-related liver disorders. J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2014;4(2):151-62.
6. Oladokun A, Otegbayo JA, Adeniyi AA. Maternal and fetal outcomes of jaundice in at pregnancy the University College Hospital, Ibadan. Niger J Clin Pract. 2009;12(3):277-80.
7. Joshi D, James A, Quaglia A, Westbrook RH, Heneghan MA. Liver disease in pregnancy cholestasis. Lancet. 2010;375:594-605.
8. Nagaria Tripti, Agarwal S. Fetomaternal outcome in jaundice during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol India. 2005;55(5):424-7.
9. Sapre S, Joshi V. Changing trends of maternal mortality in North M.P. J Obstet Gynecol. 2009;49:53-6.
Copyright (c) 2020 Puja Raizaday, Mamta Goyal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.