A Prospective Study on Febrile Cases Presenting with Thrombocytopenia on the basis of Clinical and Laboratory Profile
Background: Thrombocytopenia is caused by increased sequestration in spleen. Thrombocytopenia patients may experience bleeding manifestations like petechiae, epistaxis, gum bleeding, hematuria, gastrointestinal hemorrhage or intracranial bleeding.
Methods: 200 febrile cases were included in this study. This study was conducted in the Department of Medicine. The duration of this study was over a period of one and half year.
Results: In this study we were included 200 febrile cases with thrombocytopenia. We observed in this study, 48.5 % cases having Dengue infection, 25% cases having septicemia, 17.5% having malaria, 6.5% cases SLE & remaining had enteric fever.
Conclusions: This study concludes that Vitamin D deficiency is a key public health problem among geriatric age group.
2. Murthy GL, Sahay RK, Srinivasan VR, et al. Clinical profile of Falciparum Malaria in a Tertiary Care Hospital. JIMA. 2000;98:158-160.
3. Beale P, Cormack J, Oldrey T. Thrombocytopenia in malaria with immunoglobulin (IgM) changes. Br Med J. 1972;1:345-349.
4. Kueh Y, Yoe K. Haematologic alteration in acute malaria. Scand J Hemato. 1982;29:147-152.
5. Srichaikul T, Pulket C, Sirisatepisarn T, et al, Platelet dysfunction in malaria. Southeast Asian J Trop Med PubHelth. 1988;19:225-233.
6. Mahmood K, Jameel T, Aslam HF, Tahir M. Incidence ofdengue haemorrhagic fever in local population of Lahore, Pakistan. Biomedica. 2009;23:93-96.
7. Ahmed S, Arif F, Yahya Y. Dengue fever outbreak in Karachi 2006 a study of profile and outcome of children under 15 years of age. J Pak Med Assoc. 2008;58:4-8.
8. George JN, Aizvi MA. Thrombocytopenia. In: Williams haematology, 6th Ed, Edt. Ernest Beufler et al, USA: McGraw Hill, 2001 pp1501.
9. Firkin, Chesterman, Penangtion Rush. Ed, Haemorrhagic disorders; Capillary and plate-let defects Chapter-14, In: Degruchy’s Clini-cal haematology in Medical practice, 5th Ed; Oxford Black well science, 1989: pp360.
10. Sharma SK, Das RK, Das BK, Das PK. Haemtological and Coagulation profile in Acute Falciparum Malaria; JAPI 1992; 40 : 581 - 83.
11. Jadhav UM, Patkar VS, Kadam NW. Throm-bocytopenia in malaria correlation with ype and severity of malaria. J Assoc Physician India, 2004; 52: 615-18.
Copyright (c) 2020 Ashish Agarwal, Saurabh Goel
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.