Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency Among Old Patients Visiting OPD of a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital
Background: Vitamin D Deficiency is very much prevalent in India which is unexpected in a tropical country with abundant sunshine (8). India is located between 8.4°N and 37.6°N latitude. Most of its population living in regions experiencing optimum sunlight throughout the year. Despite its sunny environment, hypovitaminosis D is common in India.
Methods: 320 geriatric patients were included of both sexes. This study was conducted in Department of Medicine at Rohilkhand Medical College, Bareilly
Results: We found that in this study, 66.8% cases suffered from deficiency, 28.2% insufficiency. Only 5% cases were normal.
Conclusions: This study concludes that Vitamin D deficiency is a key public health problem among geriatric age group.
2. Holick MF The D-lightful vitamin D for health. J Med Biochem 2013; 32: 1–10.
3. Bendik I Friedel A Roos FF Weber P Eggersdorfer M. Vitamin D: a critical and essential micronutrient for human health. Front Physiol 2014; 5: 248.
4. Schottker B Jorde R Peasey A Thorand B Jansen EH Groot L et al. Vitamin D and mortality: meta-analysis of individual participant data from a large consortium of cohort studies from Europe and the United States. BMJ 2014; 348:g3656.
5. Hilger J Friedel A Herr R Rausch T Roos F Wahl DA et al. A systematic review of vitamin D status in populations worldwide. Br J Nutr 2014; 111: 23–45.
6. Pramyothin P Holick MF Vitamin D supplementation: guidelines and evidence for subclinical deficiency. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2012; 28: 139–50.
7. Pettifor JM (2004) Nutritional rickets: deficiency of vitamin D,calcium, or both? Am J ClinNutr 80:1725S–1729S.
8. Awumey EM, Mitra DA, Hollis BW, et al. Vitamin D metabolismis altered in Asian Indians in the southern United states: a clinicalresearch center study. J ClinEndocrinolMetab1998;83:169-173.
9. Holick MF, 2007 Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med, 357; 266-281.
10. DeLuca HF, 2004 Overview of general physiologic features and functions of vitamin D. Am J ClinNutr, 80; 1689S-1696S.
11. Al-Othman A, Al-Musharaf S, Al-Daghri NM and Krishnaswamy S, 2012 Effect of physical activity and sun exposure on vitamin D status of Saudi children and adolescents, BMC Pediatrics.
12. UrvashiMehlawat, Priyanka Singh, ShubhraPandeCurrent status of Vitamin-D deficiency in India Innovations in Pharmaceuticals and PharmacotherapyIPP, Vol 2 (2), 328-335, 2014.
13. Muley A, Iyer U. Vitamin D status of adult population aged 30-60 years in Vadodara city- A cross sectional study.Asian J of biomedical & pharmaceutical sciences 2014;04(30):34–8(DOI:10.15272/ajbps.v4i29.442).
14. Lapid MI, Cha SS, Takahashi PY. Vitamin D and depression in geriatric primary care patients. Clin Interv Aging. 2013;8:509–14.
15. Zargar AH, Ahmad S, Masoodi SR, Wani AI, Bashir MI, Laway BA, et al. Vitamin D status in apparently healthy adults in Kashmir Valley of Indian subcontinent. 2007;713–6.
16. Baig JA, Sheikh SA, Islam I, Kumar M. Vitamin D status among vegetarians and nonvegetarians. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2013;25(1-2):152–5.
17. Siddique SA. Frequency of Vitamin D Deficiency in Patients of Low Backache. 2011;7(4):208–12.
Copyright (c) 2019 Anupam Seth, Bharat Kumar Kalra
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.