Clinical Study for the Efficacy of Unani Formulation in the Management of Vaginal Discharge Associated with Cervicitis (Iltehab-E-Unqur Rehm)
October - December 2017 | Vol 3 | Issue 4 | Page :127-129
Saman Anees, Suboohi Mustafa
1 Assistant Professor, Deptt. of Qabalat Wa Amraz e Niswan, AUAMC, Aligarh.
2Assistant Proffesor, Dept. of Amraz e Niswan Wa Atfal, AKTC, AMU, Aligarh.
How to cite this article: Anees S, Mustafa S. Clinical Study for
the Efficacy of Unani Formulation in the Management of Vaginal Discharge Associated
with Cervicitis (Iltehab-E-Unqur Rehm). Int Arch BioMed Clin Res. 2017;3(4):127-129.
Background: Cervicitis is one of the commonest lesions of female genital tract affecting
more than half of all women at some point during their adult lives and has been
seen in 80% of women with any gynaecological complaint. It refers to the inflammation
of the cervix which may be acute or chronic and vaginal discharge is the commonest
complaint in patients of patients of cervicitis. Objectives: The aim of the study
was to evaluate the clinical efficacy of Unani formulation in the management vaginal
discharge due to cervicitis. Methods: A randomized observational study was carried
out at the Department of Amraz e Niswan wa Atfal, AKTC, AMU, Aligarh. Thirty (n=30)
patients of 18-40 years of age with chronic cervicitis were selected and intervened
with Unani formulations prepared from Joshanda Mazu (Quercus infectoria) administered
locally in the form of intra vaginal tampon (pessary) for 7 consecutive nights after
menses. Pre and post treatment analysis was done on subjective and objective parameters
and were assessed by paired t-test. Result: This Unani formulation showed highly
statistically significant improvement in all the subjective (p<0.001) and objective
(p<0.001) parameters of chronic cervicitis after completion of treatment.
The study results suggest that the trials formulations are quite effective and hence
can be used as an alternate therapy in the management of cervicitis. No Adverse
effects were noted during the complete course of the study trial.
Keywords: Iltehab e Unqur Rehm, Cervicitis, Joshanda Mazu
- Datta SD,et al. 2007. Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia in the United States among person
14 to 39 years of age, 1999 to 2000. Am Intern. Med. 147: p. 89-96.
- Weinstock H, Berman S, Cates W Jr. Sexually Transmitted Diseases among American
Youth: Incidence and prevalence estimates, 2000. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2004
Jan-Feb; 36(1) :6-10.
- Kumar P, Malhotra N. Jeffcoate’s Principles of Gynaecology. 7th ed. New Delhi. Jaypee
Brother Medical Publishers(P) Ltd. 2008: 30-34, 54-55, 347-349.
- Razi ABZ, Kitabul Hawi.Vol IX. New Delhi. CCRUM.2001: 9,10,12,13,14,15,33,37.
- Ibn Sina.Al-Qanoon Fit-Tib.(Urdu Trans. By Kantoori Gh) Vol.III; Part II. New Delhi.
Idarae Kitab us Shifa. 2007: 1101-1103.
- Majoosi ABA. Kamil us Sana .Idarae Kitab us Shifa, New Delhi. 2010: 534-538.
- Jurjani AH. Zakaria Kharizam Shahi. .Idarae Kitab us Shifa, New Delhi. 2010: 625-627.
- Anonymous. The Unani pharmacopoeia of India. Vol. 3. Part 1. New Delhi: G.O.I.,
Ministry of Health and Family welfare, Dept. of AYUSH; 2007.
- Najmul Ghani. Khazain-ul-Advia. New Delhi: Idara Kitabul Shifa; YNM.
- Kaur, G., Hamid, H., Ali, A., Alam, M.S. & Athar, M.,(2004):Anti-inflammatory evalution
of alcoholic extract of galls of Quercus infectoria. J. Ethanopharm.,Vol.90,pp.285-292.
- Hkm Abdul Hakeem. Bustanul- mufradat. New Delhi: Idara Kitabul shifa; 2002.
- Ibn Baitar. (1999) “Al-Jame al-Mufrada al-Advia Wa al- Aghzia” (Urdu Translation).
CCRUM, New Delhi; Vol.III: 231-233(s,r), 88-91(n,j), 108-109(f,o), 180-183(z,m),
- Hkm Kabeeruddin M.Ilmul Advia Nafisi. New Delhi: Ejaz pub. House; 2007.
- Ghani, N. (2010) “Khazainul Advia” CCRUM. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare,
Dept of Ayush, Govt of India, New Delhi, Vol II, pp 134(a.a), 290(n.j), 312 (c.a),
350(a.m), 346 Vol III pp 346 (s.c),162(c.r) Vol IV pp 160(b.f),241(r.e) Vol V pp
5(f.o), 87(z.m),121(s.r), 151(a.e), 233(c.i), 348(c.o), 475(c.m) Vol VI pp 44(r.d),
304(s.n), 399(o.l), 471(n.a).